Warranty

balsam41

This board has been very helpful in that it enabled me to learn about the various spas that are out there.

I was wondering which spa companies are known to have good warranty coverage? On the flip sign, which ones don't ? Do you have to read the fine print on every warranty ? What are some of the pitfalls ?

As an example, I was reading the Master Spa warranty and found where if there is a prolblem and the spa has to be removed the owner is responsible for the cost of having it removed. I understand the taking down of the fence stuff, but that's it. Is this common? I'm thinking that there product breaks, and I have to pay to have it taken away.

Thanks!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good measure of a warranty is how much of the labor expense is covered. Make sure the labor part of any warranty does not put the expense of a trip charge from the tech on you.

Well there's easy ways to get a trip charge from a customer with out them even knowing it. I never charge a trip charge but my hourly starts when I leave my house. Or close to it. For instance it takes a half hour to get to a job and a half hour to make a repair, then a half hour home, it's a 2 hour repair. 150 bucks. Maybe a 1 1/2 depending on the job and the customer. Most would never flinch about the 150 but they will use you exclusivly and call again if its 125. And it was only a half hour repair. I have 2 rates, one includes my head and the other don't.

This board has been very helpful in that it enabled me to learn about the various spas that are out there.

I was wondering which spa companies are known to have good warranty coverage? On the flip sign, which ones don't ? Do you have to read the fine print on every warranty ? What are some of the pitfalls ?

As an example, I was reading the Master Spa warranty and found where if there is a prolblem and the spa has to be removed the owner is responsible for the cost of having it removed. I understand the taking down of the fence stuff, but that's it. Is this common? I'm thinking that there product breaks, and I have to pay to have it taken away.

Thanks!!

All warranties have that clause, however, it is extremely rare that a spa would ever have to be removed to be repaired. It is also at the dealers discretion to charge you that fee anyways. For example, we had a Master Spa once with a fiber-optic light that was way dimmer than the rest of them. For some reason, it was unfixable in the field, so Master Spas gave the customer a new spa. We did not charge them anything, because we wanted them to be happy with their investment.

Thanks!!

1) That is a typical provision that you may be responsible for shipping charges if the spa has to be returned at a later date. I wouldn't sweat it though as they all say that but it is VERY seldom that a spa needs to be removed and that charge is subjective at that point. I'd worry more about additional costs such as prorated warranties (Catalina does this, not sure who else might) and always ask about any service trip fees, even if the spa is under warranty. It's not that they are undeserved but sometimes you are so far away that they may charge a small fee. It's most important to know this up front.

2) The warranties tend to be similar but to me it's just as much about knowing that the warranty will be honored properly. I'd feel comfortable buying from some of the more well know spa makers like Sundance/Jacuzzi (made by same company), Hot Spring/Caldera (made by same company), Marquis, D1 and others certainly like Artesian, Arctic, etc. I'd also worry about who to avoid and the ones that I've heard too many conflicting things about warranty backing by companies like Thermospas, Cal Spas and Gulf Coast.

3) Most importantly, get a spa that is KNOWN for top quality. It's great to have a good warranty but again, many warranties look alike and what you really want is a spa that will last and hopefully not need any/much service. Some dealers make their sales based on spas that compete well by price points. Others make their business by selling spas that last and these are the dealers that tend to be around for awhile (always ask how long in business and how long carrying the product).

4) Make sure that the warranty they talk about up front is the warranty you’ll get on that spa. I’ve heard many Cal Spa stories where they tell the customer what kind of warranty a certain model has. Then they tell them about a special they have on that spa and a few spas that are at a special price but fail to tell them the specially priced spas have a lesser warranty. When you are buying, you want a copy of the warranty and if in doubt, have them reference it on the invoice.

1) That is a typical provision that you may be responsible for shipping charges if the spa has to be returned at a later date. I wouldn't sweat it though as they all say that but it is VERY seldom that a spa needs to be removed and that charge is subjective at that point. I'd worry more about additional costs such as prorated warranties (Catalina does this, not sure who else might) and always ask about any service trip fees, even if the spa is under warranty. It's not that they are undeserved but sometimes you are so far away that they may charge a small fee. It's most important to know this up front.

2) The warranties tend to be similar but to me it's just as much about knowing that the warranty will be honored properly. I'd feel comfortable buying from some of the more well know spa makers like Sundance/Jacuzzi (made by same company), Hot Spring/Caldera (made by same company), Marquis, D1 and others certainly like Artesian, Arctic, etc. I'd also worry about who to avoid and the ones that I've heard too many conflicting things about warranty backing by companies like Thermospas, Cal Spas and Gulf Coast.

3) Most importantly, get a spa that is KNOWN for top quality. It's great to have a good warranty but again, many warranties look alike and what you really want is a spa that will last and hopefully not need any/much service. Some dealers make their sales based on spas that compete well by price points. Others make their business by selling spas that last and these are the dealers that tend to be around for awhile (always ask how long in business and how long carrying the product).

4) Make sure that the warranty they talk about up front is the warranty you’ll get on that spa. I’ve heard many Cal Spa stories where they tell the customer what kind of warranty a certain model has. Then they tell them about a special they have on that spa and a few spas that are at a special price but fail to tell them the specially priced spas have a lesser warranty. When you are buying, you want a copy of the warranty and if in doubt, have them reference it on the invoice.

Very good points !!

Thanks!!

Very good points !!

Thanks!!

Be aware of dealers, sales people who alude to a warranty but are reluctant to find you an actual copy of it, I have copies of most dealer warranties but the one that has always eluded me is thermospas, if anyone has one please pm me. I would love to see it.

Be aware of dealers, sales people who alude to a warranty but are reluctant to find you an actual copy of it, I have copies of most dealer warranties but the one that has always eluded me is thermospas, if anyone has one please pm me. I would love to see it.

I think the same people who are searching for Bigfoot are on the case looking for that Thermospas warranty. :unsure:

Catalina is another one that is famous for no copy of a warranty. I would like to see a copy of that if anyone has one.

I agree. Be aware of any dealer or spa company that is reluctant to provide you with a copy of their warranty.

Some spa manufacturers have their warranty printed in full in their brochures, but most do not. HotSprings is one that does. Thermospas does not.

Some spa manufacturers have their warranty printed in full in their brochures, but most do not. HotSprings is one that does. Thermospas does not.

I think Coleman started doing that as well putting them in the brochure but I will have to double check.

You Sell Coleman and you don't know?

They never had all the warranty info in the brochures but I didn't notice that because the new brochures just came in the beginning of the month. I know some dealers have to register the warranties online or by mail, however we write them on the contract and send the details by mail to them.

They never had all the warranty info in the brochures but I didn't notice that because the new brochures just came in the beginning of the month. I know some dealers have to register the warranties online or by mail, however we write them on the contract and send the details by mail to them.

Are you saying that NONE of the in-store literature has the warranty clearly defined and if the customer wants to see it you have to write it down? I wouldn't be comfortable with that if I were a customer.

Say it aint so Brulan, say it aint so!

Are you saying that NONE of the in-stoe literature has the warranty clearly defined and if the customer wants to see it you have to wrie it down? I wouldn't be comfortable with that if I were a customer.

Say it aint so Brulan, say it aint so!

I have the warranty information that I photocopy if they ask for it otherwise I just write it on the contract. I havn't checked the brochure yet.

Good point Guzz! Clearwater is another manufacturer that has the warranty very clearly in the brochure as well. To add another thing to be aware of, if a warranty proclaims a "lifetime" on something... I believe that really only means about 7 years. Who's lifetime is it... yours, the company, the neighbors dog, or the spa? Additional clarification is needed on MANY warranties. Registering a warranty can be tricky as many folks simply already have a huge list to take care of and won't turn it in (I'm sure this is something that the company relys on) or may not be aware to register it.

Most companies (as far as I'm aware) will charge to have the spa removed but again this would be depending on the circumstances.

Great topic!

Good point Guzz! Clearwater is another manufacturer that has the warranty very clearly in the brochure as well. To add another thing to be aware of, if a warranty proclaims a "lifetime" on something... I believe that really only means about 7 years. Who's lifetime is it... yours, the company, the neighbors dog, or the spa? Additional clarification is needed on MANY warranties. Registering a warranty can be tricky as many folks simply already have a huge list to take care of and won't turn it in (I'm sure this is something that the company relys on) or may not be aware to register it.

Most companies (as far as I'm aware) will charge to have the spa removed but again this would be depending on the circumstances.

Great topic!

Depends on what they are stating as lifetime and who signs the contract. Whether it is MS Automotive steel or CS's Gavalume steel either one would be lifetime

Great topic!

We registar all are customers warranties for them.

If the manufacturer is not hiding anything, it will be proudly displayed in full, in their brochure, like HotSpring. I would not buy or sell a spa thats made by a company that is shady about their warranty.

I think HotSprings, Marquis and Sundance have some of the best warranties in the business, although no warranty is good if you have a lousy dealer.