Thinking Of Getting A Cal Spa...good Idea?

ogrant

It is unfair to compare a 5 year old spa with new spas.

Frankly, that is exactly the time-frame of ownership that I want to hear about. If someone made a crappy product five years ago, there's absolutely no reason to expect them to suddenly get religion and start making a wonderful product now. Five years worth of experience on products with five-year warranties? Sounds about right to me.

Once again, I am not saying that Cal Spas are crappy. I'm only pointing out that your reasoning here doesn't make sense to me.

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

As far as neighbor stories go, my neighbor has a four year old Hot Spring Tub, he says it is a piece of crap, dealer is worthless, it is for sale as is for $1500. So, I guess, everyone should avoid Hot Springs Tubs, right?

No need to be sarcastic. The point of this forum is to learn about other people's experience with particular spas. The original poster asked for data, and that's what has been given. Don't take it personally just because you happen to own a Cal Spa. If you love it, all you need to do is say so. The person who asked can do what he or she wishes with the information posted here. I for one clearly remember saying that a Cal Spa might be right for them.

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

No need to be sarcastic. The point of this forum is to learn about other people's experience with particular spas. The original poster asked for data, and that's what has been given. Don't take it personally just because you happen to own a Cal Spa. If you love it, all you need to do is say so. The person who asked can do what he or she wishes with the information posted here. I for one clearly remember saying that a Cal Spa might be right for them.

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

and trust me i am going to weigh all of the pro's and con's.

thanks for you reply craighaggart.

and trust me i am going to weigh all of the pro's and con's.

Don't forget to report back once you do make your decision, whatever it is! I think there are many people like us who want lots of input before making such an expensive purchase. Even relatively inexpensive spas are a lot of money.

And if you do end up going with the Cal Spa, it would be great to hear about your experience.

Did I mention that you should make sure to wet test? :)

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

I think you are taking this way to personally. You brought up the "my neighbor story". I just pointed out that the "neighbor" story applies to all spa makes, not one in particular. This thread is kind of like the Costco Elite Spa thread. I saw a lot of Dealers and owners who had paid Thousands of dollars extra for their spa feel threatened by running down the Costco Spa in an attempt to justify their more expensive purchase.

The Original Poster asked for experience with Cal Spas, all the owners of Cal Spas that have posted in this thread have all had positive experiences. I think that says it all.

...all the owners of Cal Spas that have posted in this thread have all had positive experiences. I think that says it all.

The fact that my neighbor didn't personally post to this forum doesn't make his negative experience disappear. I have no interest in putting down any particular spa brand; someone asked for data, and I provided the only data I had. Most people probably don't own that many different spas in their lifetimes, so, like it or not, experience is going to have to come from others as well.

I agree with you that all brands have some unhappy customers. That's one reason it's so valuable to have this forum as a resource.

It's great that you love your Cal Spa so much, and I have no doubt that the original poster has noted your enthusiasm. May you continue enjoying it for many, many years to come!

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

This thread is kind of like the Costco Elite Spa thread. I saw a lot of Dealers and owners who had paid Thousands of dollars extra for their spa feel threatened by running down the Costco Spa in an attempt to justify their more expensive purchase.

The Original Poster asked for experience with Cal Spas, all the owners of Cal Spas that have posted in this thread have all had positive experiences. I think that says it all.

I'd say Cal Spa is different from Costco because you really don't hear much on the internet from Costco owners, one way or the other. If you search this forum and the 3 other common spa forums for Cal Spas you'll find many very unhappy Cal Spa owners with similar stories. It's always the same thing, subpar quality which is only surppassed by the manner in which they go out of their way to avoid taking care of the customer's issues. Sure, there are alwaays going to be issues with spas but the difference is the other major spa makers take care of teh customers when they arise (and they arise less often with teh others). At least with Costco, you don't have great expectatinos that your issues will easily be taken care of by the dealer & manufacturer wheras with Cal Spas you have that nice peive of paper with the seemingly concrete warranty to feel good about before they pull a David Copperfield on you. If my only choices were Costco and Cal Spas I'd be coming home with a spa and a 5 gallon jar of mayonaise.

I'd say Cal Spa is different from Costco because you really don't hear much on the internet from Costco owners, one way or the other. If you search this forum and the 3 other common spa forums for Cal Spas you'll find many very unhappy Cal Spa owners with similar stories. It's always the same thing, subpar quality which is only surppassed by the manner in which they go out of their way to avoid taking care of the customer's issues. Sure, there are alwaays going to be issues with spas but the difference is the other major spa makers take care of teh customers when they arise (and they arise less often with teh others). At least with Costco, you don't have great expectatinos that your issues will easily be taken care of by the dealer & manufacturer wheras with Cal Spas you have that nice peive of paper with the seemingly concrete warranty to feel good about before they pull a David Copperfield on you. If my only choices were Costco and Cal Spas I'd be coming home with a spa and a 5 gallon jar of mayonaise.

Well, I don't know what forum you have been reading, but in the Costco Thread, everyone who owned one, loved it. And, in this thread, the owners all like their Cal Spas, including me. I think there are so many dealers on this forum who are very threatened by anyone who sells a spa for less money than they do, they go out of their way to run down othe spa companies.

I also think there are a lot of people on this forum who have spend upwards of $8000 to over $10,000 for their spa, and they get miffed when they realized they could have paid thousands less for a spa, so they try to run down the less expensive spa.

If I spent $7000 plus for a spa, I would be frustrated too.

Well, I don't know what forum you have been reading, but in the Costco Thread, everyone who owned one, loved it. And, in this thread, the owners all like their Cal Spas, including me. I think there are so many dealers on this forum who are very threatened by anyone who sells a spa for less money than they do, they go out of their way to run down othe spa companies.

No one is threatened by Cal Spa, their reputation in the industry drives people elsewhere and it's doubtful they're going to change any time soon. Sure, they have some good dealers and I'm not saying every spa they make is a lemon and every customer will become disgrunteled but their reputation is very real and very much earned.

Costco is interesting in which way they'll go. They're much newer and while price is everything to them they will should keep looking to upgrade quality wise. For their price they can be a decent option as long as you're a self sufficient person and aren't expecting too much in the way of a warranty (and you'll want to look to upgrade the insulation if you get one).

Well I make it 4 happy cal spa owners versus 5 not so sure non owners. my vote makes it 4-6. for a lot of the reasons mentioned here, my experience has seen some customers that loved theirs and some that did'nt, but the one thing they all had in common was poor to no service and difficulty getting parts or someone to work on them.

Well I make it 4 happy cal spa owners versus 5 not so sure non owners. my vote makes it 4-6. for a lot of the reasons mentioned here, my experience has seen some customers that loved theirs and some that did'nt, but the one thing they all had in common was poor to no service and difficulty getting parts or someone to work on them.

Well, I see that the 4 owners of Cal Spas all love their spas, the NON Owners/Dealers such as yourself are against them. All of you charge Thousands more or paid thousands more. That says it all. :)

Well, I see that the 4 owners of Cal Spas all love their spas, the NON Owners/Dealers such as yourself are against them. All of you charge Thousands more or paid thousands more. That says it all. :)

It's because we've all had contact with the Cal Spas owners who've relayed their sad storeis to us. BTW, Cal Spas aren't priced that much less but a few ways tehy do keep teh cost down are related to the way they build them and all the warranty $$ they save on warranty claims by ignoring their customers service issues.

Go ahead and sort these sites for Cal Spas owners who've had their spas awhile.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com

http://www.rhtubs.com

http://www.poolandspa.com

I also think there are a lot of people on this forum who have spend upwards of $8000 to over $10,000 for their spa, and they get miffed when they realized they could have paid thousands less for a spa, so they try to run down the less expensive spa.

People shopping for spas are well aware of the fact that they come in a wide range of prices. There's nothing to "realize" after the fact. And if there really were such people as you describe in your imaginary rationalization -- people who spent a lot on a spa and then felt bad about it -- it's pretty hard to believe that they would all soothe their remorse by signing up to this forum and posting bad things about your favorite spa.

Nor does your reasoning explain what there is to be miffed about if they don't even own a spa yet and therefore can't feel bad about paying too much. I myself haven't spent anything on a spa. I'm here on this forum to learn from the experience of others before deciding which one to buy.

-Craig Haggart

Sunnyvale, California

I guess I get my own catagory. Owners who do not like Cal Spas, since I have 6 or 7 of them sitting in my warehouse that I've hauled off for customers. Does that make me a Cal spa owner? :)