Converting A 110v To A 220v - Is It Possible?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 HS Sovereign Classic for 1500.00. It is a 110V, and I have heard that 220V is the better way to go. Is it possible to convert the component/heater and whatever else to make it a 220V hot tub? What all would need to be changed and about how much would this cost me?

Thanks in advance,

Jackie

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 HS Sovereign Classic for 1500.00. It is a 110V, and I have heard that 220V is the better way to go. Is it possible to convert the component/heater and whatever else to make it a 220V hot tub? What all would need to be changed and about how much would this cost me?

Thanks in advance,

Jackie

It is a convertable spa. You need to take off the cord. You need to move a jumper. You will need to wire properly with an approved subpanel (not the one you get from Home Depot).

Download Pre Delivery instructions and Owner's Manual @ hotspring.com

Other than the wiring, cost is @ $200.00 for GFCI breakers and subpanel.

If you do this, your heater will run on 220v.

Where do you live? If mild climate, Sovereign will work great on 110v.

It is a convertable spa. You need to take off the cord. You need to move a jumper. You will need to wire properly with an approved subpanel (not the one you get from Home Depot).

Download Pre Delivery instructions and Owner's Manual @ hotspring.com

Other than the wiring, cost is @ $200.00 for GFCI breakers and subpanel.

If you do this, your heater will run on 220v.

Where do you live? If mild climate, Sovereign will work great on 110v.

Thats also a pretty good deal for that price if it is in good condition.

I am in NY. So it gets pretty cold up here. June-Aug are nice (hot) but from Sept-April its normally pretty chilly. So, do you recommend going the 220V route?

If you plan on sitting in the spa longer than a half hour I would go 220. I would never be happy with 110 on a cold winter night where I'm at but then again I sit in my spa for an hour at a time.

One thing you might want to do is try it 110 and if your not happy with it you have the advantage of being able to convert it without to much trouble other than running the 50 amp cicuit and installing the breaker.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am new at this and want to be sure I am somewhat informed! So basically you think the conversion is easy to do? How much does it cost for the full conversion, running a 220V line, etc.?

Also, what are the exact parts I will need? How will I know what needs to be done?

Sorry to be so full of questions - I know you all have probably answered this one 100 times.

Jackie

Thanks again for everyone's help. I am new at this and want to be sure I am somewhat informed! So basically you think the conversion is easy to do? How much does it cost for the full conversion, running a 220V line, etc.?

Also, what are the exact parts I will need? How will I know what needs to be done?

Sorry to be so full of questions - I know you all have probably answered this one 100 times.

Jackie

The wiring should be done by an electrician. The Pre Delivery Instructions will tell you what needs to be done. cost depends on your site and the going rate in your market.

You will need to provide two circuits to the tub. One 20 amp single pole, and one 30 amp two pole. These two circuits need to be protected by GFI circuit breakers, which is why it has been recommended that you check the price of a subpanel from a HotSpring dealer. If you wish, you may buy any outdoor load center and a pair of breakers, but be prepared, the price of one of the breakers alone generally exceeds the price of the full assembly from a HS dealer.

That subpanel will need to be fed by a 50 amp two pole breaker - NON GFI. This breaker goes in your main panel, so it may be as cheap as $10 or so for a GE type or similar, a bit more expensive for the less-popular brands, but not by much.

The wire sizes will be dependant upon the distances - and if you don't know, don't guess. The wires from the subpanel to the spa is easier: a pair of 12 guage, a pair of 10 guage, and a ground conductor.

The panel usually is placed not nearer than five feet from the water but in the general area of the tub - line of site is best, though most folks end up hiding them behind plants or just around a corner.

The conversion of the tub is easy, and can go back and forth at whim.