FAIRs and HOME SHOWS

Guest Jim Arjuna

Guest Jim Arjuna

It is posts about the spa industry that has these "salespeople" all upset. I am an insider into these tactics and I publish it all the time.

I wrote an article about these shows. My favorite story from the home and garden shows was this fellow who bought at the home show, then came into the store to find the same spa for $1000 less.

I don't think I can remember anyone more loud and upset at the store. The owner of the store wrote the guy a check for $1000 and apologized for the "mix up".

At the home shows the "factory rep" is a professional salesman, who may be selling RV's next week and use the same tactics, putting on a factory rep shirt adn have a tag on his left pocket with his name and "spa company factroy representative" on the tag. The commisions are heavy and so are the sales tactics. The idea is to use some horrible sales tactics of intimidation, coersion and utter discusting methods to get you to sell.

I remeber one guy saying to a nice young man in front of his wife who did not want to buy: "Who wears the pants in your family? If you want it, are you going to let your wife tell you what you can and can't do?"

You need to know exactly what you are buying and what you should pay for it.

If you buy from any of these fairs, you need to know what the heck you are doing becasue you are going to be stuck with that spa for a long time. If you find out later it is a mistake, then you will feel bad about it all. It really spoils the joy of ownership.

Some of theses are simply "cut and paste".

Yawn, another thread ruined by Jim and/or his bashers. The thread has interesting possabilities and could be of interest to a lot of poeple. From my experience as a consumer, there is much truth in what Jim said in his original post. However, I don't agree with him that this applies to every dealer and every show. (Your milage will vary) However, also from experience you have to question why he starts any thread, as a prelude to his agenda usually. And there are plenty of people who will be there to make sure he doesn't score any points with those who don't know his ways. Jim is also becoming more conscious of his online image, so those of you unfamiliar with him, just look around awhile.

Getting back to the topic, I only had two things to say about these home shows. 1. They are a great way to see several tubs, frequently from different manufacturers at once. 2. There is no deal that is good for only today, that can't be repeated tomorrow if they want your business. Frequently as Jim said stores bring in factory reps for shows and they are more high pressure, so if your susceptible to that, then beware. After educating myself at several shows, I found dealing with at the home store much more relaxing.

It is posts about the spa industry that has these "salespeople" all upset. I am an insider into these tactics and I publish it all the time.

I wrote an article about these shows. My favorite story from the home and garden shows was this fellow who bought at the home show, then came into the store to find the same spa for $1000 less.

I don't think I can remember anyone more loud and upset at the store. The owner of the store wrote the guy a check for $1000 and apologized for the "mix up".

At the home shows the "factory rep" is a professional salesman, who may be selling RV's next week and use the same tactics, putting on a factory rep shirt adn have a tag on his left pocket with his name and "spa company factroy representative" on the tag. The commisions are heavy and so are the sales tactics. The idea is to use some horrible sales tactics of intimidation, coersion and utter discusting methods to get you to sell.

I remeber one guy saying to a nice young man in front of his wife who did not want to buy: "Who wears the pants in your family? If you want it, are you going to let your wife tell you what you can and can't do?"

You need to know exactly what you are buying and what you should pay for it.

If you buy from any of these fairs, you need to know what the heck you are doing becasue you are going to be stuck with that spa for a long time. If you find out later it is a mistake, then you will feel bad about it all. It really spoils the joy of ownership.

I agree that there are "hard hitters" to sell spas amidst all the cotton candy and elephant ears. Of course not everybody will "club a baby seal to make a better deal" :o or pull the ol' "Lemme call my manager to approve this amazing deal for you only as long as you get it right now" kind-of thing. As with everything, there are good salepeople :D (professionals there to help you learn what is needed to make the right decision for your personal support before and AFTER the sale) and there are high pressure sales people (previously quoted as those "salespeople") :ph34r: . Many folks fall prey to the flashy give-aways, fast talkers, and encredible amount of information to absorb that is almost impossible for the average person new to the spa industry. :wacko: Take heart though... it is simple to overcome being taken advantage of. Any reputable company will give you an oportunity to take the time that is needed to make a comfortable decision. If you find a spa that is interesting to you during this fast paced season... ask for a price hold of some sort and get as much information as you can. If a representative welcomes your research and can offer a reasonable amount down ($100.00) then it's a sign that they may be good to work with. Avoid the booths that want to "slam it home". Not everyone is out there to get you, but there are definately some that would take advantage of you and not even think twice about it. Take your time. Most of the time folks have waited a long time to get a spa... don't let anyone pressure you into getting one that very day for the best deal. Hold the price and narrow it down through researching all of the components that the spa and the company can offer you.

I have never found Fairs or Shows to be a good place to buy a spa. I do think they are a great place to be able to see spas from several makers in close proximity, but that's it. You may end up with a good deal on one of the display models, though when I was doing shows I did my level best to have those units presold before the show even began.

I think you would be amazed at the cost of running a booth these days. I have just moved into two larger stores and I have not recalculated, but I used to be safe in saying that I could run my store for three months for the cost of doing the fair - or two months for a three-day home show. So what on earth would compel me to LOWER prices at such an event?

Also, most dealers are forced to bring in show teams: folks who know how quickly they must get to the point. These people don't have time for follow-up or even much chit-chat. They have to cherry-pick the folks who look like they are about to buy, and they tend to shine the rest. That is how they survive: they are commission plus a per diem, and if they don't sell they don't take home anything. I'm not saying this is bad - it's just a simple matter of mathematics. If you have a good crowd at a show or fair, you are very likely to have them all at the same time. So, if you try to have a conversation the same way you would on the showroom floor you are going to watch many potential buyers leave your booth.

If you know what you want, and if you are sure you know the dealer's regular price - and what items are generally included at that price - then you can go to the show or fair and see if they have sweetened the deal. For example: I used to offer our tubs at regular prices. But I would shop around for a deal on some steps, a volume price on a cheap lifter, and some other - hopefully fun - form of premium. That premium could be a Baseball Cap with logo, nice sweatshirt, polo shirt, extra-large rubber duckies, restaurant coupons, or maybe even an ice chest with all the above. But it was something along those lines. We called it the 'fair package.' It was a nice little extra - but it was not a price concession.

But I will admit that there were customers who would come into the booth with a written quote from our store and basicly dare me not to beat it - and they had their checkbook in the other hand. I would then strip away the little extras, perhaps downgrade the high-end lifter I had origianlly bid, and cut a few hundred off. They would feel like they had 'won,' I had made a sale, and the only one who was upset would be the commissioned sales people who had not gotten a chance at this deal since the folks had come in asking for me by name.

But I will admit that there were customers who would come into the booth with a written quote from our store and basicly dare me not to beat it - and they had their checkbook in the other hand. I would then strip away the little extras, perhaps downgrade the high-end lifter I had origianlly bid, and cut a few hundred off. They would feel like they had 'won,' I had made a sale, and the only one who was upset would be the commissioned sales people who had not gotten a chance at this deal since the folks had come in asking for me by name.

Hello Chas!

I am sorry for the length. :unsure: There should be a law against me posting more than 1000 words! :D This may be a long winded reply but something hit a button for me. We've posted with each other for a little while now and I have learned so very much from your posts. I completely respect you for the amount of information that you have learned and have shared with everyone in the forum. When I have been unsure about someting, you have been very helpful. The only reason why I would bring up the following issue at all is because the category is dealer discussions... fairs and home-shows and I'd love some guidance in this area since we are dealers and discussing this. I hope it's ok to post thengthy and passionate opinions! This is absolutely not directed at you personally because I love what you've contributed to this industry. You have helped lay a foundation for us "newbies" to learn how to do the job and your opinion is important to me. I would also love to get feedback from any cunsumers that have had experience in this area to share any stories or suggestions... if you can get through it all!

I agree with everything in your post regarding the fair specials and such. The part quoted above regarding upsetting the commissioned saleperson... made me think, because I am one. As for the customer winning... that's great because they always should! :D It's really important to get the best deal and the best service no matter who you are or where you go. I think it's awsome for the Fair salesman to win also in "making a sale". It feels good to have it all come together after the time it takes to come to an agreement... not forgetting to mention - it puts food on the table. I also think that everyone involved in it should "win"... including the commissioned person (who likes food on the table also) who took the time to assist in helping someone come to a final decision... especially when they visited the showroom first. Receiving that very important individual attention in a showroom (or in some cases lack there-of) is a big part in the decision making process. I've heard many people decide NOT to choose X-Y-Z spa because the commissioned salesperson was horrible!

I'm not sure how all commissioned sales people would feel if they had spent a couple of hours helping educate someone regarding all of the issues and discussing the purchase of a spa, only to have them go to the fair and have someone (with the wave of the magic checkbook) take out a couple of extras, choose a less expensive add-on or two (many of those less expensive options may not be worth it) and beat the price by enough to make it happen right then. I've seen shoppers do this to me as well... Heck, after I learned more about the sales world I always ask for a better deal a couple of times when making a purchase to make sure it is the best purchase I can make! The people at 7-11 really hate to see me purchasing a pack of gum and wanting to pay .60 instead of .80! Just kidding! :D

But that's how the sales world is set up. I can see how that whole system has turned many people (shoppers) off so bad they didn't want to pursue the dream of a hot tub at all! Many a reputable company has made numerous sales from simply treating people the old-fashioned way... and not everybody wants to have to negotiate to make sure they are not being charged more for something than they shoud be paying. Most of the time... I (showroom saleperson) can avoid this concern by giving the "fairest" price from the beggining (it helps that the company keeps the price consistant between both locations- why don't all companies do that?) and finding out if someone wants to go to the fair when I speak to them the first time. If by any possibility someone there would beat the deal (by special approval or anything I was unaware of), I explain in advance that I will 100% honor it (and personally thank them for keeping me in the loop by paying their ticket to the fair for coming back to me) with the quote. I started doing this a couple of years ago to avoid another situation that is described in the next paragragh. I think it would make more sense for all parties to work together as a team and share the rewards equally. If I have missed the opportunity to assist in their final decision, I make EXTRA sure that I take extremely good care of that new spa owner because they deserve that respect and should never EVER feel like they are in the middle of commissioned stuff. This kind of service and care has brought many referrals that would more than make up for any opportunities I may have missed.

As a consumer myself... the obvious commission struggle in some companies is is what turns me off to the word "salesman". You can almost cut it with a knife when you walk into some places. I'm sure every one knows what I'm talking about. In fact, when people ask me if I work on commission, I feel a little funny even saying it because some people feel on guard when it is mentioned. It's definately not about money or payment or commission at all... it's about relaxation, trust, respect and customer care. Do other salespeople agree with this? If so, why do so many shoppers feel pushed around and caught up in a war just to get the best deal? Perhaps this is why costco spas are more appealing because shoppers can avoid the salespeople. I felt so bad one time when a good customer of mine had found out his purchase from the fair had not "givin me the credit". He had asked the fair person to make sure I received credit and when he came into the showroom for the 6th time (we'd worked together quite a while) I asked him if he was ready to get the spa after visiting the fair. He replyed.. "Didn't they tell you? I asked them to make sure you knew that I got it there". I was emediately embarrased that this had happened once I realized I had not been told and he felt bad that I didn't know. I tryed to ease his discomfort and let him know it was completely ok and it was his happiness with the spa that was the most important thing... and of course no matter what, i would take care of him for a long time. He was upset. It was really a strange situation and we were both caught off guard but because we had such a good relationship built up, it was quickly overcome. So, Chas... this is the situation my babbling is really about. It really should not matter how one gets paid as long as the complete job of caring for someone every step of the way is accomplished which I will do no matter where or who they bought their spa from. Not every salesperson is like this though and sometimes the customer may suffer from a "commissioned salesperson" turning sour on them... because of the behind the scenes stuff that they may not have been aware of. I wonder how this would effect the company as well... perhaps lowering margins when cost of bussiness is increased during this period. And shouldn't EVERYONE get the same deal without having to go from place to place asking for it?

I know... this is one my lengthy record breaking replys. But there's got to be a way that any hard feelings from anyone involved could be avoided. Maybe sharing the rewards of the final purchase would eliminate anyone being upset. The customer wins for getting the best deal and not having any unforseen unpleasant altercations with someone who doesn't handle the dissapointment (of being denied the fruits of their labor) very well, the person in the fair booth wins because they get the credit for closing up any loose questions a person may have and some easy change in their pocket, and the showroom person is pleased by the assistance of someone at the fair without loosing their entire reward.

Maybe I'm way off tract in my thinking... I'm "kind-of a sap" so I've been told. This is how the spa industry has been run for years... in all the companies across the board that I'm aware of. I've been told I have to toughen up to be in these sales. I have almost left the industry two times because this very thing but the reward of having someone so happy with their new spa keeps me going. Playing a small part in helping to establish higher quality living is truely my reward. I've never even liked the word "salesman" but here I am in that very position... oops! that's salesperson now isn't it? LOL! I am so sorry this was so long.... :unsure: Don't get me wrong.... I :wub: LOVE :wub: what I do!

Maybe I just need help understanding this better. I've been able to establish a completely trusting relationship in our showroom with the rest of the sale team and we take care of each other and and each others customers. I LOVE it!!!! We've had many people comment on how comfortable it is between us and how nice it is not to have our showroom "feel like" a salesroom. I've never had this happen in any other sales job. Trust is a beautiful thing. :D But how can I get this with everyone including the fair folks?? I've been told it's simply impossible. This can't be true!

WHEW! I think I'm done now. :wacko: crazy... I know! Anyones feedback is greatly appreciated.

9. There is no way to get through life and make a mark on the world without somebody who has hard feelings about you. That is like asking for God to create nothing but nice people. It is far better to have understanding of human nature and not be gullible. However, it is much better to be a gullible victim, than to be a smart preditor whom victimizes his customers.

Thanks for your reply Jim. All very good advice indeed. After reading that, it does help me understand how to sort things out a little better. I looked through the points and have found through the years that I really do know"how" to sell something: by seaking the truth, listening, learning, having integrity, thinking only of what's comfortable for the customers pocket book and not thinking about my own (at all), being flexible as the market changes, building relationships, representing quality (I'd have a hard time sleeping if I represented junk), and definately leading by example and being a good representative for others and of course my children. I have lead by honest example and am usually in the top three salesfolks because of the relationships I build with people and being at a great company with a well built product. All very, very good points and I'm glad you brought those up. :D

As for being gullable :( ... I can see how I might be that way. And asking for only nice people in the world is a far stretch... (and I guess we woudn't appreciate the goodtimes as much if they were always good) but geez, wouldn't it be cool?

Through much communication and effort, I've helped to create this honest and trusting environment in the showroom where I work. I should be satisfied with that. I guess it just really bothers me when an unsuspecting consumer can get caught up in the middle of the "sales war" between spa companies. It's even tougher during the fair/homeshow season. I've made it through 4 of those now and through trial and error have learned how to protect myself and my customer. I do have to change a bit in order to handle the game. I must learn to accept that the "game" itelf will not change. (Who mooved my cheese? is a great book about acceptance of change) Utopian sociaties have never really worked out have they? Thank you for helping me to see this. I hope that consumers will see this as well. Gullable is one thing... being a victim is another. All of us should be armed with the rules of "the game"... especially the shoppers!

It truely is rare that someone has hard feelings about me so I'm satisfied with that. The "wake" I leave behind usually has happy people skiing in it. ;) I'd like to think that even when I've disagreed with someone (happens all the time) I don't dissrespect them and THAT is how we all learn from each other despite all our different opinions and ideas.

I'm not here to try to sell something... just to make sure that people really get the scoop on what to look for in all aspects of this industry. Any other advice for dealing with the "fair and homeshow" season is greatly appreciated!

Here is what I have discovered about sales.

1. Be an educator of the consumer and only speak the truth, because when they go out shopping and find that you don't know what you are talking about, you are not going to get them back in the store or in my case to call back and order.

2. Learn to listen and find their needs.

3. Know your competition better than they know themselves. That is THE rule of sales.

4. Sell with ingegrity. The golden rule.

5. Sell within the customer's budget, not on how much money you need that week.

6. If it doesn't work or is not working, you need to change.

7. Work towards long lasting relationships with your customers. (That is something the slam dunk "Fair and Home and Garden" salesman is never concerned about. They often leave a "wake" of problems for the local dealers to sort out.)

8. Only sell products that have real value in relationship to the other products and in relation to the prices. There are plenty of spas that are way overpriced, and not made very well. I don't know how a person with any integrity can sell them.

(I can remember when I was looking at houses, the realtor was taking us to a house that was way overpriced but he did not know it until we went inside. The first thing he said was: "This is not a good home for the money." He actually found us a good home for the money and showed us the value.)

9. There is no way to get through life and make a mark on the world without somebody who has hard feelings about you. That is like asking for God to create nothing but nice people. It is far better to have understanding of human nature and not be gullible. However, it is much better to be a gullible victim, than to be a smart preditor whom victimizes his customers.

10. Be a giver not a taker. Be an example for your children.

If the dealer that runs the booth lets the sales people run the show, then he is not a good manager. A good manager will get in on most every deal before it becomes a wave of problems. A good mananger also surrounds himself with good and disciplined sales people. So if you have had problems with a wave of problems after a show , dont go blamin" it on the salesmen blame it on the one managing the show! Typically at shows you can get some very insightful information and the best presentations of the products. There are still a few hard hittin' con artist sales people on the the show road, however most all of them have learned that if they leave a wave of problems they wont be back. I have worked with probably the best of the best show guys and I gotta tell ya they know the product very well. Some of my best friends are on the road from spring 'til fall making well over a 110k a year and they get asked back every year.

Thanks for your reply Jim. All very good advice indeed. After reading that, it does help me understand how to sort things out a little better. I looked through the points and have found through the years that I really do know"how" to sell something: by seaking the truth, listening, learning, having integrity, thinking only of what's comfortable for the customers pocket book and not thinking about my own (at all), being flexible as the market changes, building relationships, representing quality (I'd have a hard time sleeping if I represented junk), and definately leading by example and being a good representative for others and of course my children. I have lead by honest example and am usually in the top three salesfolks because of the relationships I build with people and being at a great company with a well built product. All very, very good points and I'm glad you brought those up. :D

As for being gullable :( ... I can see how I might be that way. And asking for only nice people in the world is a far stretch... (and I guess we woudn't appreciate the goodtimes as much if they were always good) but geez, wouldn't it be cool?

Through much communication and effort, I've helped to create this honest and trusting environment in the showroom where I work. I should be satisfied with that. I guess it just really bothers me when an unsuspecting consumer can get caught up in the middle of the "sales war" between spa companies. It's even tougher during the fair/homeshow season. I've made it through 4 of those now and through trial and error have learned how to protect myself and my customer. I do have to change a bit in order to handle the game. I must learn to accept that the "game" itelf will not change. (Who mooved my cheese? is a great book about acceptance of change) Utopian sociaties have never really worked out have they? Thank you for helping me to see this. I hope that consumers will see this as well. Gullable is one thing... being a victim is another. All of us should be armed with the rules of "the game"... especially the shoppers!

It truely is rare that someone has hard feelings about me so I'm satisfied with that. The "wake" I leave behind usually has happy people skiing in it. ;) I'd like to think that even when I've disagreed with someone (happens all the time) I don't dissrespect them and THAT is how we all learn from each other despite all our different opinions and ideas.

I'm not here to try to sell something... just to make sure that people really get the scoop on what to look for in all aspects of this industry. Any other advice for dealing with the "fair and homeshow" season is greatly appreciated!

I suggest that you read some books by Tom Hopkins; "Selling with integrity" is his method. I have gone to many hundreds of hours of sales seminars and his is the best.

Some of the stuff these other "heavy hitters" teach was horrible. ONe of the techniques that I particularly disliked was the "customer trap". This was a major sales man in the industry selling for a large spa company.

He said to design the store so that when you complete the presentation, there are no exits visible for the consumer to see. He went on to say that you quicky set them down at the "closing table" and bring them drinks to creat obligation. Then start closing. Some of the closes made me sick to think about.

In our store and all of our reps have to sign a contract that they will not use any subversive closing techniques other than to simply ask for the sale. If the customer says no one time, let them go. If they understand what you are about, they will return, otherwise, why press for a sale?

:)

"Selling with integrity"

This I agree with 100%. For consumers, (bringing this back to the fair and home show topic) if you get the "feeling or sense" that you are being put through the "hard close"... remember-nobody ever died from waiting! Hold the price if you can and take the time you need to be comfortable with your decision. All too often you will see posts here and there that talk about how someone "got burned" in a spa deal. Your research effort has a direct correlation to what you wind up with as far as a quality spa and exellent service will go.

Kind of like the fox recommending a vegetarian cookbook to the hens.

I'm used to being called a "chick" everyonce in a while but didn't know I was old enough to be a "hen" yet! LOL! :lol:

Kind of like the fox recommending a vegetarian cookbook to the hens.

I have not eaten any meat, fish, or chicken for nearly 40 years. WE have plenty of vegitarian cook books.

By the way, just because I give slick salesmen hell, does not in any way reflect on my integrity with consumers. I am one of the strongest consumer advocates in the spa industry. I wrote THE book on spa shopping about 10 years ago, and it is still being sold today. That was long before I started building spas, when I was the service manager in one of the largest service centers in Colorado at that time.

You have not taken the time to even begin to understand what I am about. That is because I think you don't know much about spas and it is obvious that you don't.

I have not eaten any meat, fish, or chicken for nearly 40 years. WE have plenty of vegitarian cook books.

By the way, just because I give slick salesmen hell, does not in any way reflect on my integrity with consumers. I am one of the strongest consumer advocates in the spa industry. I wrote THE book on spa shopping about 10 years ago, and it is still being sold today. That was long before I started building spas, when I was the service manager in one of the largest service centers in Colorado at that time.

You have not taken the time to even begin to understand what I am about. That is because I think you don't know much about spas and it is obvious that you don't.

Where can I buy this book? Does it talk about how when you buy a spa it should be ETL compliant?

This I agree with 100%. For consumers, (bringing this back to the fair and home show topic) if you get the "feeling or sense" that you are being put through the "hard close"... remember-nobody ever died from waiting! Hold the price if you can and take the time you need to be comfortable with your decision. All too often you will see posts here and there that talk about how someone "got burned" in a spa deal. Your research effort has a direct correlation to what you wind up with as far as a quality spa and exellent service will go.

I guarantee to you, that the price the fellow is quoting you, is not the best deal possible, and it is not going away when you leave. You can almost certainly take that price and go to any retail store with the same spa and get a better deal. The home shows and fairs are great places to shop, but the worst places to buy, unless you have totally researched the market and you actually know what you are getting into.

The "buy now, because you may never see this price again." is as old as Methusula in the sales books. It is under the topic of "Create Urgency to Buy". This is versus real issues that affect pricing.

When our prices are going up, I post that fact for all to see and give lots of warning. We just got another price hike from a supplier of Jets, right after the hurricanes. The last two years have been much higher price hikes than we thought could happen.

We also do not negotiate prices, because it is not ehtical to sell the same product with the same features, warranty, and in the same time period, to another person for more or less money.

Some of the "sales" I have seen make me laugh. We are having the "Grandpa Needs New Dentures Sale this week. Save thousands on a new hot tub!" I think I am getting more pragmatic in my pre-retirement years.

You can almost certainly take that price and go to any retail store with the same spa and get a better deal. The home shows and fairs are great places to shop, but the worst places to buy, unless you have totally researched the market and you actually know what you are getting into.

I agree with researching and knowing what your getting into. "Almost certainly" is exactly right too, (contradictory phrase within itself).... some spa companies offer the same legitimate pricing everywhere and some have the "ask 3 times and I'll tell you" approach. The companies that offer the best deal to EVERYBODY are the ones that I would be interested in. I tell people straight from the beginning what I can sell something for. They do not have to ask me three times to get the best deal. Our company is set up the same in all of our retail showrooms so the customer will be represented with the truth where ever they decide to go. (some people are used to the "sales-game") All too often someone comes to me thinking that I didn't mean it when I said the sale ended... when I really did mean it. With the people that really want the spa right away (for a birthday or anneversary or special occasion), I will actually pay the difference for them if they really can't wait for the next sale. This is rare because if I did it too much, I couldn't put food on the table. I don't mind a bit of sacrifice to help someone in a pinch because it comes back to me ten fold with happy referrals. But, because of the differences in the way each company is set up, if you are needing more time to make the best decision, ask your salesperson how it will work (BEFORE the end of a sale!) so that you and your salesperson can plan ahead together. If they really are legitimate, they will be the one to take care of you as time goes on.

There are some companies that have different "game rules" so when a person goes from one place to another and then another, they will eventually get to the bottom "real" price. I agree that it isn't fair to everybody so I don't think I'd feel good about this "game" as a shopper. Although, I admit... I ask more than once when shopping to find out if this is how a company works. It would make me wonder what other information isn't being told directly up front that I'm supposed to ask for. If you are not a "spa expert" and don't know the right questions to ask, you may be taken advantage of while you're focusing on getting the "best deal".