Inground Rusting Steel Pool-advice Needed

sara

I have an inground pool, built in 1961, made of tugboat steel (!) that rusts badly even after I sandblasted and re-painted. The steel is so think that it's in no immediate danger of rusting through, but it looks terrible.

One pool person recommended treating the rust and then intalling a vinyl liner. The other said that won't work and that I should treat the rust and then fiberglass it, that the rust will eat through the vinyl in a year. I have no idea whom to believe. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have an inground pool, built in 1961, made of tugboat steel (!) that rusts badly even after I sandblasted and re-painted. The steel is so think that it's in no immediate danger of rusting through, but it looks terrible.

One pool person recommended treating the rust and then intalling a vinyl liner. The other said that won't work and that I should treat the rust and then fiberglass it, that the rust will eat through the vinyl in a year. I have no idea whom to believe. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I doubt the rust will "eat through" the vinyl. I would suggest sandblasting or grinding the rust, then installing foam insulation (1/4" thick foam that comes in a roll). It runs about $2.00 a linear foot. Then install a new liner. That should take care of your problem for at least another 15 to 20 years.

I doubt the rust will "eat through" the vinyl. I would suggest sandblasting or grinding the rust, then installing foam insulation (1/4" thick foam that comes in a roll). It runs about $2.00 a linear foot. Then install a new liner. That should take care of your problem for at least another 15 to 20 years.

The contractor I spoke with most recently argues strongly against foam, saying that the liner will slide down (the bottom is sloped) and that it will not protect the steel from rusting. Is there a down side to fiberglass paint?

The contractor I spoke with most recently argues strongly against foam, saying that the liner will slide down (the bottom is sloped) and that it will not protect the steel from rusting. Is there a down side to fiberglass paint?

You definately dont want to fiberglass that you will end up with a mess. Are the steel walls flaking apart where they are rusting? If it isnt flaking apart there are products out that will eat the rust and turn the surface of the steel black. You can then apply an adhesive so the wall will be tacky to apply the wall foam that pool lady is talking about. Then you can drop a liner in the pool. Anything you paint on the rusty surface is not going to stick and eventually paint will come off. I have rebuilt some pretty bad pools using a liner. I believe that is your best bet.

You definately dont want to fiberglass that you will end up with a mess. Are the steel walls flaking apart where they are rusting? If it isnt flaking apart there are products out that will eat the rust and turn the surface of the steel black. You can then apply an adhesive so the wall will be tacky to apply the wall foam that pool lady is talking about. Then you can drop a liner in the pool. Anything you paint on the rusty surface is not going to stick and eventually paint will come off. I have rebuilt some pretty bad pools using a liner. I believe that is your best bet.

The rust is not flaky, it's bumpy, almost like mold. Both pool contractors--the liner guy and the fiberglass paint guy want to sandblast to get rid of rust before putting in a liner or before painting with fiberglass paint. The dispute seems to be about which, in the end, will do a more lasting job.

The rust is not flaky, it's bumpy, almost like mold. Both pool contractors--the liner guy and the fiberglass paint guy want to sandblast to get rid of rust before putting in a liner or before painting with fiberglass paint. The dispute seems to be about which, in the end, will do a more lasting job.

If its bumpy then you do need to sandblast it first. As they sand blast it they are going to have to collect any pieces that come off so you dont have any pieces effecting the bottom of the new liner. After it has been sandblasted I would apply one of the rust treatments to the steel that I described before. You dont have to worry about the rust coming through the liner it wont happen. There are thousands of inground vinyl liner pools across the country and we change liners on old pools and find some of the old steel wall pools where the walls have rusted and it doesnt effect the liner.

I would put the foam in there to give you a barrier between the wall and the liner.

Another thing to take into consideration if you expose fiberglass to the chemicals that you use to maintain your pool youl will get Cobalt staining. The stains can be removed but it will be an continual thing to deal with.