Tiger River Diverter

W8n2tub

Just purchased a used 98 Tiger River Bengal with a broken, stuck diverter. The adjustment lever and escutcheon popped off w/ no problem, and the retaining ring slid out easily. The diverter is broken, and is REALLY :angry: stuck in the tube. I don't want to dig to get it out, ruining the tube, and attempts to pull it out w/ pliers (hey, it's already broken - who cares if it gets damaged further by pliers) haven't worked.

Anything I can pour down the tube to loosen the rubber seal ring that probably hasn't moved for 'years'? Any recommendation on dismantling from beneath and tapping up from below.

I figured there was SOMEONE who has run into this, as I have been amazed with some of the offered solutions here. I'll take one of those...

Thanks in advance for ANY help whatsoever.

• 1 month later...
Just purchased a used 98 Tiger River Bengal with a broken, stuck diverter. The adjustment lever and escutcheon popped off w/ no problem, and the retaining ring slid out easily. The diverter is broken, and is REALLY :angry: stuck in the tube. I don't want to dig to get it out, ruining the tube, and attempts to pull it out w/ pliers (hey, it's already broken - who cares if it gets damaged further by pliers) haven't worked.

Anything I can pour down the tube to loosen the rubber seal ring that probably hasn't moved for 'years'? Any recommendation on dismantling from beneath and tapping up from below.

I figured there was SOMEONE who has run into this, as I have been amazed with some of the offered solutions here. I'll take one of those...

I have this same model hot tub and a similar problem. I had a stuck diverter, managed to get it out, but couldn't get it back together correctly. Now there is water coming out through the diverter when I run the jets. Is there any secret to getting the o-rings in the right place so it doesn't 'leak'?

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

Drain the tub and try getting some water soluable pipe joint lube down in the hole. The pull like hell.

Be sure you have all the retainers out - there are three.

The top trim peice is the first one, and it can usually be removed by hand or with gentle prying from side to side. I read in your post that you have that one off already.

The second one is a safety device which is white plastic and is held in place by two small screws. It is there to be sure the core doesn't come flying out if the third and final retainer lets go:

The third one is a snap ring, and I can't tell for sure by reading your post if you have it out or not. It has two holes and some slightly raised edges by which it can be pried out.

If that is all out, then the seal plate is next: it has grooves for the o-rings which seal the diverter shaft, that is, the shaft upon which the handle mounts and by which you turn the diverter when all is working as it should be.

The seal plate also has a single o-ring which seals the top of the diverter core. That is the one which can be hard to get out. Do you have this plate out yet?

If not, I would go slowly with pliers, working it from side to side until it pops loose.

Then the core. It is not always easy to get out a stuck diverter core, but it can be done: once again I recommned working slowly and methodically with pliers. If you trash the shaft, you will have to replace the core, but that is not very expensive, and it comes in a kit with new o-rings and even a little lubricant, so you may as well go see your dealer and have it on hand.

Sometimes working the core by turning it slightly gets it to loosen up, other times it is just a matter of getting a good grip with vise-grips or channel-locks and pulling.

The good news: if you are careful you should only have to replace the core kit, and now that you know about this, you can keep an eye on it. If the diverter starts to get hard to turn, open and clear it right away.

One last thing: as you put the new part in place, it must be able to slide in easily. If not, clean out the bore of the diverter. I have used water to flush them, a rag on a stick, and other low-tech approaches depending upon how much the grit has damaged them, if at all. I have had to use fine-grit sandpaper on some, but rarely.

And the new diverter has a better design which tends to bind less.

HTH.

B)