Sundance Vs. Jacuzzi

Mattie

My husband and I have placed refundable deposits on 2 tubs, Sundance Optima and Jacuzzi J365. We have wet tested twice, and listened to the dealers. Both have been very professional. Possibly someone can enlighten me:

1. Jacuzzi uses a plastic solid bottom. Thus blocking critters and hopefully ants from getting under the hot tub Sundance does not...both use pressure treated wood. The argument against the solid plastic bottom is if there were to be a leak of some sort it would sit in this bottom vs the Sundance product. My husband feels that after sometime the bottom will rot out of the Sundance Optima. Sundance does use a plastic barrier and the bottom 2x4 that surrounds the tub is supposed to be 2inches off the ground. How long can I expect pressure treated construction to last? We will put our tub on a concrete slab and build a deck around the slab. What is the life span of a quality spa?

2. Jacuzzi has a strainer net that catches much of the particles prior to even going in the filter...is this necessary?

We like both tubs...I am leaning towards one of the two. Any help or insight on either of these tubs would be great.

Thank you.

My husband and I have placed refundable deposits on 2 tubs, Sundance Optima and Jacuzzi J365. We have wet tested twice, and listened to the dealers. Both have been very professional. Possibly someone can enlighten me:

1. Jacuzzi uses a plastic solid bottom. Thus blocking critters and hopefully ants from getting under the hot tub Sundance does not...both use pressure treated wood. The argument against the solid plastic bottom is if there were to be a leak of some sort it would sit in this bottom vs the Sundance product. My husband feels that after sometime the bottom will rot out of the Sundance Optima. Sundance does use a plastic barrier and the bottom 2x4 that surrounds the tub is supposed to be 2inches off the ground. How long can I expect pressure treated construction to last? We will put our tub on a concrete slab and build a deck around the slab. What is the life span of a quality spa?

2. Jacuzzi has a strainer net that catches much of the particles prior to even going in the filter...is this necessary?

We like both tubs...I am leaning towards one of the two. Any help or insight on either of these tubs would be great.

Thank you.

As far as I know Jacuzzi and Sundance are made in the same factory. Same stuff. If you want something with much better value, go to Costco and don't deal with disappointments with high prices. If you are going to be dealing with problems anyway, why pay extra for them.

Thank you.

Most people would say that you've picked out two of the highest quality tubs. Either of them should last a decade or more. I've never heard of the bottom of a Sundance tub rotting - it may happen if you had leaks that went unfound for a long time, but I doubt that could happen (you'd have noticeable water loss, & then ignore it, for water to pool up and rot the base). Either way, you seem to like both brands and both dealers - I'd go with the tub you're leaning toward.

Thank you.

I agree you should buy the spa that works and feels best for you. However, you a choosing between two different levels of spas by essentially the same company. The 880 series Sundance spas of which the Optima is one of, really is equivalent to the 400 series Jacuzzi spas. The features on the 880 SD and the 400 Jacuzzi spas are the comany's top of the line. A lot of this may not mean a whole lot because the J365 is an excellent spa, but the LCD controller used in the 880 and 400 lines is far superior to the LED controller used in the Jacuzzi 300 series. The 880 and 400 series also utilize the newer filtration system using a high flow circ pump vs the low flow on the 300 series. The J365, also, is 100 gallons smaller than the Optima.

As far as the plastic bottom goes vs the plastic sheet on the Optima, both spas should last 20-30 years. The plastic is more a sales pitch item, IMO. Since Sundance created the 2002+ Jacuzzi spas in their own design, if it were so much better they would install them on Sundance spas.

The strainer net is not necessary. All the top companies do a good job at filtering.

The bottom line is that you are looking at two excellent spas built at the same place by the same company. The quality will be identical. The price on the Jacuzzi should be a good deal less than the Optima. Its all about what is best for you.

Thanks for your response. I agree we aren't comparing apples to apples. The 880 series is top of the line Sundance and you are right the Optima is bigger by about 100 gallons. The seating in the Jaccuzi appears lower creating the feel of a bigger tub. Unfortunately, going up to the 400 series of Jacuzzi isn't financially possible. We got a great deal at a local Home and Garden show with many vendors competing.

The Jacuzzi dealer told us that his filtration system was superior over Sundance because their pump filters 24/7 where as Sundance the filter is bypassed when the pool is occupied and the jets are on. Sundance says that this allows them to move more water. Jacuzzi says that their spas are the clearest and cleanest through their process. Do most use the same as Sundance?

Thanks.

My husband and I have placed refundable deposits on 2 tubs, Sundance Optima and J

Thanks for your response. I agree we aren't comparing apples to apples. The 880 series is top of the line Sundance and you are right the Optima is bigger by about 100 gallons. The seating in the Jaccuzi appears lower creating the feel of a bigger tub. Unfortunately, going up to the 400 series of Jacuzzi isn't financially possible. We got a great deal at a local Home and Garden show with many vendors competing.

The Jacuzzi dealer told us that his filtration system was superior over Sundance because their pump filters 24/7 where as Sundance the filter is bypassed when the pool is occupied and the jets are on. Sundance says that this allows them to move more water. Jacuzzi says that their spas are the clearest and cleanest through their process. Do most use the same as Sundance?

Thanks.

Thank you.

I agree you should buy the spa that works and feels best for you. However, you a choosing between two different levels of spas by essentially the same company. The 880 series Sundance spas of which the Optima is one of, really is equivalent to the 400 series Jacuzzi spas. The features on the 880 SD and the 400 Jacuzzi spas are the comany's top of the line. A lot of this may not mean a whole lot because the J365 is an excellent spa, but the LCD controller used in the 880 and 400 lines is far superior to the LED controller used in the Jacuzzi 300 series. The 880 and 400 series also utilize the newer filtration system using a high flow circ pump vs the low flow on the 300 series. The J365, also, is 100 gallons smaller than the Optima.

As far as the plastic bottom goes vs the plastic sheet on the Optima, both spas should last 20-30 years. The plastic is more a sales pitch item, IMO. Since Sundance created the 2002+ Jacuzzi spas in their own design, if it were so much better they would install them on Sundance spas.

The strainer net is not necessary. All the top companies do a good job at filtering.

The bottom line is that you are looking at two excellent spas built at the same place by the same company. The quality will be identical. The price on the Jacuzzi should be a good deal less than the Optima. Its all about what is best for you.

Thanks.

The Sundance tub filters 24/7. When the tub is occupied, and the pumps are on, it is still filtering. However, the main pumps do not run water through the filter. The filtering is done with a dedicated, 35gpm pump. This move allowed Sundance to filter enough water (50k gallons per day) and remove the main restriction on therapy pumps.

If the 400 series Jacuzzi is not financially possible and the Optima is, then you must be getting a good deal on the Optima because it is generally priced above the 400 series Jacuzzi spas. If it were me, I would be jumping on the Optima vs the J365 if they are close in price. If the J365 represents a good savings over the Optima, then I would have to consider it.

The Sundance Microclean II filters down to 5 microns which is as small as you can get with the high flow circ pump. As Ciderjack stated, it has the ability to filter an awfully large volume of water...much more than the J365. The Jacuzzi dealer is giving a little bit of misinformation. The therapy pumps in the Optima, as in the 400 series Jacuzzi spas, are separate from the filtering pump. The filter is not bypassed...it not designed to be used by the therapy pumps. IMO, the 880 SD and 400 Jacuzzi will filter better than the 300 series which is an older design.

It seems like you are asking good questions and are making choises with your eyes open. Best of luck in your decision.

We are getting a good deal....Optima would be 9100 normally retailing for 10,599 and the Jacuzzi J365 would come to 8220. Again, these prices were only available thru the local Home and Garden Show. So now it just comes down to deciding...is the Jacuzzi Bottom (solid plastic construction)everything it is cracked up to be vs. Sundance Optima. Of course the Optima has many nice features over the Jacuzzi but the bottom seems to be a stickler w/my husband since almost everyone we know has had pests under their tub.

Thanks for your help.

o

If the 400 series Jacuzzi is not financially possible and the Optima is, then you must be getting a good deal on the Optima because it is generally priced above the 400 series Jacuzzi spas. If it were me, I would be jumping on the Optima vs the J365 if they are close in price. If the J365 represents a good savings over the Optima, then I would have to consider it.

The Sundance Microclean II filters down to 5 microns which is as small as you can get with the high flow circ pump. As Ciderjack stated, it has the ability to filter an awfully large volume of water...much more than the J365. The Jacuzzi dealer is giving a little bit of misinformation. The therapy pumps in the Optima, as in the 400 series Jacuzzi spas, are separate from the filtering pump. The filter is not bypassed...it not designed to be used by the therapy pumps. IMO, the 880 SD and 400 Jacuzzi will filter better than the 300 series which is an older design.

It seems like you are asking good questions and are making choises with your eyes open. Best of luck in your decision.

9100 does seem like a good deal for optima. I would go with the optima for only 900 more, seems like your getting a better deal with sundance. Sundance is the better tub and I would give the filtration edge to Sundance, the larger pumps may not pull water through the filter but Jacuzzi is only going to be pulling about 25% of water from pumps through filter while spa is on high, I believe second pump is bipassed and first pump is pulling less then half its water from filter. So dont listen to that, both spas will stay clean, Sundance cleaner then Jacuzzi...you will just spend a little bit more money on filters.

did you wet test them?

Yes, we did. I loved the foot jets among other things and the stainless steel jets...okay the shiny factor is nice and I could get those on Jacuzzi for a mere 350.00 more...then the prices are even closer. Jacuzzi makes a big selling point about their ABS solid bottom......who knows. I can't find any topics about whether it is better or not.

Thanks!

every feature of every tub has pros and cons to pitch for and against. I dont know if you could name one thing and a bad or a good thing about such feature and I wouldnt beable to reverse it...sundance tubs dont rot at the bottom or they would change it. Sundance could have the same exact pan as Jacuzzi since they are built in same factory if Sundance bottoms were rotting. Can it become a problem in 20 years...probably...will you be ready to get a new one by the time it happens...yes, if you even live in same house. Get the Sundance, you owe it to yourself!

every feature of every tub has pros and cons to pitch for and against. I dont know if you could name one thing and a bad or a good thing about such feature and I wouldnt beable to reverse it...sundance tubs dont rot at the bottom or they would change it. Sundance could have the same exact pan as Jacuzzi since they are built in same factory if Sundance bottoms were rotting. Can it become a problem in 20 years...probably...will you be ready to get a new one by the time it happens...yes, if you even live in same house. Get the Sundance, you owe it to yourself!

I agree. For an additional $900, the Optima is a much better value...as long as you like the spa. The plastic bottom on the Jacuzzi spas is a sales feature, its not going to make your spa last longer or keep critters out of the spa any more than the other good manufacturers.