Monthly Cost To Operate An Electrical Spa

kevinv18

Before we ordered our new Grandee spa, we had asked that question of cost per month to run it seeing how we will be using it in the winter and live in Saskatoon, Sask Canada where we get very cold temps in the winter. We were told that if we had the usual -20 to -30 C temps in Jan/Feb the Grandee would cost no more than about $25/month. This is due to the excellent insulation factor and that the HotSpring spas are expected to be run in winter months.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your dealer that wanted to sell you the spa told you so?If it costs more which it will he will pay you the difference?

Cost really doesn't matter to me & if you actually READ my post, it doesn't say anything about a cost/month guarantee. I just did my research and shopping and wanted (one of) the best spas on the market, and especially for real winter months.

But maybe if you cant afford to pay to heat/run it, maybe you cant afford it in the 1st place.

I did actually read your post and in your post all you say is how much it is going to cost you per month and that you believe the lie your salesman told you.

Oh and that Cost doesn't matter because you are going to be a Grande owner?Wow lucky you?Read what you said.

Hot Springs are the best spa in the world and they can be run all winter without even a cover on.......My salesman told me so....Oh yea and cost doesn't matter did I mention that.

Take a look at epinions.com and see what others think of your (one of) the best spas on the market.

Three out of 5 stars doesn't qualify for one of the best spas on the market but then again who cares about those stupid reviews and the cost to operate your salesman told you it was the best spa and specially built for Saskatoon winters.

And your dealer that wanted to sell you the spa told you so?If it costs more which it will he will pay you the difference?

Cost really doesn't matter to me & if you actually READ my post, it doesn't say anything about a cost/month guarantee. I just did my research and shopping and wanted (one of) the best spas on the market, and especially for real winter months.

But maybe if you cant afford to pay to heat/run it, maybe you cant afford it in the 1st place.

Congrats, you got a well made spa that you can enjoy for a decade or two.

Not if you go by the reviews on the internet.epinions.com for one or do a search in Google for Hot Spring Grandee and check out the bad reviews.

I checked them out and they are not worth the money.Your paying to have the Hot Spring name on the spa.There are much better spas out there for the same dollars and some for less.

lol Grandee would be more like 20-25 (even in seattle)...Hot springs is most efficent spa and make a 25 dollar garuntee, I would say sundance maybe a little more but not alot

Whadda bunch of crap!

Please provide the data that backs up this this information on HS being the "most efficient spa"...

This is how traveling spa sales ppl get a bad rap... We wait patiently to see this proven documentation that shows how HS is the the leader and how Sundance may be a little more. I'd like to see how the rest of the spas come in regarding their operational costs too please. A top 10 list indicating their true running costs would be helpful. Please provide costs of the KW/hour, total amp draw, average ambient temperature, average time of use with the cover off and the other data used to come to this conclusion.

If you can't back up your BS with real data then it's just a sales pitch designed to mislead people and your credibility is zero. I look forward to seeing your detailed response...

If you look further into this "guarantee", you'll see that it's most likely on the 115 volt Sovereign and costs may "vary depending on the model". A least that what it says on the website.

Steve

My parents have a hotsprings tub and it is about $25-$30 a month in winter (they live in mass).

Ya Splash_, it really looks like the salesman was pulling a fast one on me by telling me the truth.........LOL

But anyways, I figured on spending $50/mth to run a tub in our cold climate, so anything below that is a bonus, but I find anything under $100 to run a tub is a bonus and a benefit that I am willing to trade to at least have a tub to soak in at my leisure.

Yes, I may have spent a little bit more for the name of a Hot Springs tub, but I would rather spend a bit more on a company name for a company that will be around to back the 5 yr warrantee.

Uhh...Spatech...I asked you what YOU thought the difference was and you were silent. A well insulated tub will lose much less heat than the poorly insulated one, that's just obvious to everyone except you. Sometimes a poorly insulated tub will lose so much heat that the owner cannot afford to run it any more. That's really sad to see., especially when it is at a place like an apartment house or condos where it is enjoyed by many. The $5 per month is certainly achievable depending on how cold the outside is, how hot the tub is set at, how often it gets opened, etc. It is possible to lower that to $0 per month if you set the temp down, live in a warm climate, and don't open the tub up. Maybe you need to upgrade your tub if your heating costs are getting out of hand. I can provide a good recommendation...

Time to step into reality...

It has become brutally obvious after reading only a handful of your posts tubostuff that you have no knowledge on spas AT ALL. You are posting like you know more than you do and need to stop and be accountable for all of your inaccuracies.

We all know that you can't believe everything you read on the www and you are proving that point over and over. Please think of the readers that know very little about spas so the rest of us that do, don't have to call you on EVERYTHING.

Your comments on $5 or $500 operating costs are so out in left field that you've proven to anyone that has owned a spa for more than a couple hours that you have NO CLUE.

Debate this comment:

A quality, fully insulated or properly thermally insulated spas will operate at approximately a dollar a day on average with summer being less and the colder months being slightly more. There are variables that come into play obviously such kw charges, use, etc. but for a name brand spa, this has merit. Do you agree?

If anyone owns a spa that costs upwards of $70 - $100 per month, SELL IT!

Steve

All any of us can do is actually monitor usage month over month and compare kwh used between like months.

As I said before, I happen to have swapped out 20 or so incandescent bulbs with CF bulbs at about the same time my tub went live, and it's cooler this summer so less AC, and my month over month kwh use is lower since installing... so I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

My spa used 300 to 350Kwh the first month which made my electric bill go up $120 here in California, it put me into the 300% category which is $.36Kwh. The weather has been in the 70's during the day and upper 50's at night I checked the temperature before the filtration cycle and it is usually within 1 degree before the heater kicks on with the filter cycle. If anyone thinks this is way too much power usage let me know. If Hot Springs uses considerably less power it might pay for itself to return this one and buy one of them.

My spa used 300 to 350Kwh the first month which made my electric bill go up $120 here in California, it put me into the 300% category which is $.36Kwh. The weather has been in the 70's during the day and upper 50's at night I checked the temperature before the filtration cycle and it is usually within 1 degree before the heater kicks on with the filter cycle. If anyone thinks this is way too much power usage let me know. If Hot Springs uses considerably less power it might pay for itself to return this one and buy one of them.

Wow, up $120/month in weather that has been high 50s to 70s? That's not a good sign of things to come. If yours is a thermopane spa you really need to look into insulating it properly.

What brand spa do you own?

I noticed a letter on our web site (from in or around Lancaster PA) from last February claiming $8/month for heating during the winter. The letter is here.

Perhaps this tends to support another member's post claiming that a well-insulated hot tub can be as low as $5/mo, though I doubt that any current product can achieve that on a year-round average.

In our sales training (I'm not in sales, but got to take the training) we were taught to say that a well-built hot tub will cost around $1 a day to run, including chemicals (under-promise, over-deliver!).

I hesitate to dip my toe into the shark infested waters, but here I go. Does anyone really know exactly what their tub costs to operate? Unless your tub is on a separate meter from anything else that draws electricity, you are just making an educated guess. Without a spa, my powerbill fluctuates drastically. The fridge was open more, we did more laundry, took longer showers, etc. There is no possible way that a spa manufacturer could guarantee your power consumption. I bet there is plenty of fine print with that offer. I noticed it said something about inquiring about the details. As far as a spa that costs $0 a month to operate, that is very possible. Just make sure it's not plugged in!

Hot Spring does (or did) have a guarantee, at least at some locations. You can see one of their "$20.00 per month electrical cost guaranteed" banners here (it's the second one, towards the background).

Here's the text from HotSprings guarantee.

Whether you own a 110 or 220 volt HotSpring Spa or Tiger River Spa, WE GUARANTEE that your average monthly energy cost will be between $20 - $30, depending on the model.

Only HotSpring guarantees the efficiency of their hot tubs.

This guarantee includes maintaining a constant water temperature of 100°- 105° F. These figures are based on normal hot tub usage with the cover open and the hydrotherapy jets running for up to one hour per day. At other times, the hot tub is closed and the thermostat is set for continuous 100°- 105° F.

If you believe your hot tub is costing you more to operate than the guaranteed figures and you are within the standards of this guarantee, we will supply an electric meter for your hot tub. If the monthly costs are greater than the guaranteed amount, we will pay for the difference!

Guarantee Reference

- Ken

I noticed a letter on our web site (from in or around Lancaster PA) from last February claiming $8/month for heating during the winter. The letter is here.

Perhaps this tends to support another member's post claiming that a well-insulated hot tub can be as low as $5/mo, though I doubt that any current product can achieve that on a year-round average.

In our sales training (I'm not in sales, but got to take the training) we were taught to say that a well-built hot tub will cost around $1 a day to run, including chemicals (under-promise, over-deliver!).

I was just at the Puyallup fair in Washington and the Crazy Arctic spa rep said his spa would maintain 104 degrees without a heater for weeks! I hope that isn't part of the sales training. Also what was interesting is on the demo Arctic spa where the panel was open to show the reflex torsion hose, I found a leak! HA HA HA rather funny I thought.

I truly believe your electrical cost would involve many factors such as your local rate , your total usage per day or month, how could any manufacture make this claim I find it a little like false advertising due to not knowing what your normal temputare is or your wind,cold factor there would be other factors as well, but insulation would help a good cover would be my #1 concearn since heat rises along with how long your pumps ciculate the water.

Just got my 1st electric bill for my new Dimension 1 "Nautilus" spa. It's really hard to tell exactly how much it's ruining because the A/C also runs during the summer. I would guess it costing $40 per month. I use it everyday and it cycles 30 Min's ever day.

When I bought it the sales guy said it would run approx $20 per month. (no more than a 60 watt light blub) Well I went to the D1 website and they had it calculated the same but they have it at 7 cent per kph. where our rate here in CA starts at 11 cents, then keeps going up to 17 then 23 cents for high usage. Anyway as you can see it was figured under low cost and ideal conditions. I curious to know what it's going to cost to operate during the winter months.

Great spa though!