Hotsprings Electrical Question

kevinv18

In preparation for getting a spa, I have installed a 60A breaker sub-panel approximately 6 feet from where I intend to put the spa. I talked to a Sundance dealer who told me that the Optima spa requires only 3 wires into a 60A breaker. Then I talked to a Hotsprings dealer who told me that their Grandee spa comes with a sub-panel, which includes a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker. The pump wires hook up to one breaker and the heater wires connect to the other breaker. If I decide on a Hotsprings spa, then I will need to swap out the sub-panel that I spent considerable time installing. Or I could install the new sub-panel in series with my current sub-panel, but then I'd have two "ugly" boxes in my yard.

Can anyone confirm whether the Hotsprings Grandee requires two breakers (20A & 30A) or will the 60A breaker be sufficient by itself?

Thanks.

In preparation for getting a spa, I have installed a 60A breaker sub-panel approximately 6 feet from where I intend to put the spa. I talked to a Sundance dealer who told me that the Optima spa requires only 3 wires into a 60A breaker. Then I talked to a Hotsprings dealer who told me that their Grandee spa comes with a sub-panel, which includes a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker. The pump wires hook up to one breaker and the heater wires connect to the other breaker. If I decide on a Hotsprings spa, then I will need to swap out the sub-panel that I spent considerable time installing. Or I could install the new sub-panel in series with my current sub-panel, but then I'd have two "ugly" boxes in my yard.

Can anyone confirm whether the Hotsprings Grandee requires two breakers (20A & 30A) or will the 60A breaker be sufficient by itself?

Thanks.

Your dealer is correct. The 230 volt Hot Spring systems do use the two breaker box. One for the pump, the other for the heater.

If the wires are already run it should be just a swap of boxes as most of your work is already done.

Yep... comes with a 2 breaker 20 and 30 amp subpanel.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_...el_grandee.html

"Control System IQ 2020® 230v/50 amp, 60 Hz Includes G.F.C.I. protected sub-panel"

Same as my Tiger River Caspian:

"Control System IQ 2020; 230v/50 amp, 60Hz; Includes G.F.C.I. protected subpanel"

You will need two 230v circuits/breakers in your main panel, one for 20 amp and one for 30 amp. These run to the subpanel, then from the subpanel to the spa itself.

I just installed a Caldera Elation which is made by Watkins who also makes Hotspring. they have the exact same subpanel. You will be supplied a sub panel from them with the 2 breakers (30a/20a). the wiring diagram for them is available on the website under the owners manuals(also in the box with the panel). You will need to feed the panel with 8-3 w/ ground (2 hot 8awg, 1 neutral 8awg and dedicated ground), from the subpanel to the spa, the diagram states running 2-#10awg for the 220v, 1-#10 neutral, 2-#12 awg(for circ pump). So total of 5 wires to hookup the split breaker config. I ran #8 for my 220v from the subpanel to the tub (to account for voltage drop with distance). Make sure you measure your wire and flex to go all the way to the far side of the tub plus a few feet for turns inside. The wiring hookup is on the far right hand corner if you are facing the front of the tub with the control panel. The diagram is self explanatory, but the hookup inside the spa is a little confusing, they do not hookup in any kind of order, make sure you follow the lines from the breaker to the termination point on the spa. DO use two different colors for all 4 of the HOT connections as it specifies by color where each needs to be connected.

is there any advantage to having the two sub-panels or is it just the way hotsprings does it

It's not two sub panels, but two BREAKERS inside of one subpanel. I'm guessing that's what you meant. To be honest, I dont' know why they have this setup, but since the dealer provided the panel with the two breakers for free...I didn't worry about it.

I'm sure somebody here has the answer though.....so I'll bump it again for ya.

is there any advantage to having the two sub-panels or is it just the way hotsprings does it

It's not two sub panels, but two BREAKERS inside of one subpanel. I'm guessing that's what you meant. To be honest, I dont' know why they have this setup, but since the dealer provided the panel with the two breakers for free...I didn't worry about it.

I'm sure somebody here has the answer though.....so I'll bump it again for ya.

Yes I meant breakers.