Demographics Of Hot Tub Buyers

Well, I guess that i will start. I am 28 years old, male, married (wife is 30) and just bought my first hot tub. I am curious what the typical age is of a hot tub buyer. I have friends younger than me that have them but they came with the house when they bough it. My house was brand new so unfortunately it didnt come with a tub. How old are all of you? M/F? job/lifestyle etc... anything that you want to share. I just never noticed very young people in the stores. Mostly older but at the state fair in the hot tub section, its mostly younger buyers. I know, I know, most young people only buy them for the party atmoshere and are more impulse shoppers. Anyway, I was just curious.

Our first Spa. I'm 44, wife is 37 and it is due to her business doing well that we took the plunge. None of my family has one, and only one of our friends have one, but it came with their house and they have never used it in the 4 years of ownership (its an older spa). I think they are actually trying to give it away.......

I'm 48 my wife is 42 we have owned several used ones I have fixed up and then I decided to buy a new one of a specific brand that was foamed on the shell but not fully foamed so I could do an experiment in energy effieciency.

I am part of the senior managment team for a large mechanical contractor. And I do repairs, move, buy and sell, new and used Hot Tubs as a side line.

We have 2 teenage boys that both drive. One is 17, graduated early and is attending a free semester of college before he leaves in the fall for the ones we pay for. The other is 16. We live in Duluth Minnesota and do so because we love the outdoors. We hunt and fish and are fanatical North Shore Steelhead fisherman. My wife is a belly dancer and works for one of our local hospital systems as the lab/Xray department head. And she has more energy than I will ever have. (actualy she works and does belly dancing for enjoyment)

I'm 46 my wife is 45 first time tub owners. I run electrical projects pretty much anywhere in the us. my wifes a registered nurse. We have four kids [ 9,14,17,21] all still at home. We do get teased alot when people come over to soak with us. our tub is right outside our bedroom so we use our room for changing. They say you can afford such a nice tub but the newest piece of furniture in your room is dated 1904. In our spare time we do antique restoration for a select few. steve

I'm 29 wife is 27 we just bought our fisrt tub 1 month ago (Marquis Reward). The house we bough had a a hot but the previos owners took it with them, leaving us with an empty slab and some wiring. So we did what any responsible adult would do, we went and bought a hot tub to put on that slab. anyway, my wife is an RN and I am a computer support tech.

My wife and I are both 48 (empty nestors), 2 kids (28, 23), 1 grandson (6). I'm a Network Analyst, Wife is a manager of a sporting goods store. We bought our first spa last year. My sister has had a spa for several years, my son just bought a house with one indoors (sun room).

NightRyder

I'm 29 wife is 27 we just bought our fisrt tub 1 month ago (Marquis Reward). The house we bough had a a hot but the previos owners took it with them, leaving us with an empty slab and some wiring. So we did what any responsible adult would do, we went and bought a hot tub to put on that slab. anyway, my wife is an RN and I am a computer support tech.

Well, now there is some people on her in my age group. Did you get any strange looks when going to by a tub? It seemed like some places looked at me funny because of my age or just didnt think I could afford one. One of the 2. They were wrong on both accounts anyway you look at it.

Hubby and I are 40-something DINKS who have always had a bathtub with jets. It wasn't an option in our latest house, so we explored hot tubs as an alternative and ended up buying a Vita Caldera. It has spoiled us rotten! We use it several times a week and tend to fight over the lounger seat. My husband has arthritis so it's especially good for him. I love massages and have shoulder problems, so the jets help me out between massages.

Well, now there is some people on her in my age group. Did you get any strange looks when going to by a tub? It seemed like some places looked at me funny because of my age or just didnt think I could afford one. One of the 2. They were wrong on both accounts anyway you look at it.

With a credit card pretty much anyone can afford a tub, that's not much of an issue. I'd say that most folks in their 20s that cruise into tub shops just are not serious about buying. Its when you get older and the aches and pains don't go away, then you consider the tub for relief rather then a place to hang out and drink beer. Its just a different perspective depending on age and needs.

Well, I guess that i will start. I am 28 years old, male, married (wife is 30) and just bought my first hot tub. I am curious what the typical age is of a hot tub buyer. I have friends younger than me that have them but they came with the house when they bough it. My house was brand new so unfortunately it didnt come with a tub. How old are all of you? M/F? job/lifestyle etc... anything that you want to share. I just never noticed very young people in the stores. Mostly older but at the state fair in the hot tub section, its mostly younger buyers. I know, I know, most young people only buy them for the party atmoshere and are more impulse shoppers. Anyway, I was just curious.

We just bought our first hot tub about a month ago. My in-laws have one, and we've been using theirs for years. We finally decided to get one for ourselves. Only one of our friends has a tub. I am 34, and a stay at home mom. My husband, 34 also, is the vp of business development for a financial company in Boston. We love the water, and have had a pool for 5+ years. My husband is an avid runner, so the tub is used for therapy, as well as, for entertaining with friends. We also have two children, 8 & 5 who love the tub. We bought our tub with all of this in mind.

We didn't have any issues when we bought our tub, other than the fact that they were surprised that we wanted to pay cash for the tub. We did notice that most of the "other" potential buyers were a bit older than us.

I don't think our dealer treated us any different than any one else, but I didn't go to any other dealers. Our tub was sort of an impulse buy. we were just at the dealer to look at tubs and get a ballpark figure on pricing but ended up buying one that day.

I don't think our dealer treated us any different than any one else, but I didn't go to any other dealers. Our tub was sort of an impulse buy. we were just at the dealer to look at tubs and get a ballpark figure on pricing but ended up buying one that day.

Generally 30-60 yrs. old, college educated, Union job, making a mean 70,000 dollars a year, on long island, with children.

Generally 30-60 yrs. old, college educated, Union job, making a mean 70,000 dollars a year, on long island, with children.

Thanks Brulan, it would be nice to hear from some of the other dealers on this one like Amanda.

Ohh, I forgot to mention. With the exception of age, we fall into that category.

Union job? College? Long Island? Well, I got children but I don't fit the other catagories.....

I'm 51. My significant other is 52. I've wanted an outdoor hottub since the late 70s when I almost bought a woodfired Snorkel tub but decided against it. Have been hmmming and hawwing all these years because I didn't have "the perfect setup" for it and, being an energy conservation freak, didn't want to drive up my electric bill. Got our Arctic Frontier in late-December 2005 and all I can say is "Why did it take me so long?"

Oh yeah. She's a software engineer and I'm a sustainable technology consultant. No kids.

Union job? College? Long Island? Well, I got children and we've already passed the 70k point this year but I don't fit the other catagories.....

oops, sorry but no union job and I dont live in long island. More like late 20's, college degree, child (not children), 100k plus range. The tub should be nice to come home from being out in the boat all day. I think that my ideal day this summer is to go on the boat and do swimming, come home and BBQ some tri tip and sit in the tub with a beer. MMMMMMM, BEER! I cant wait for this rain to go away.

We didn't have any issues when we bought our tub, other than the fact that they were surprised that we wanted to pay cash for the tub. We did notice that most of the "other" potential buyers were a bit older than us.

I went in to buy the tub. I had my check book in hand just in case, but the place took a credit card. I then turned around, collected my reward points and paid the card off the next day. It worked out very sweet. Now I am getting like 100-200 dollars in gift cards for resturaunts and stuf just for using the card even though I never paid intrest. I would tell places that I was going to pay cash just to get their attention. Some places, I dont think believed I was a serious buyer. Well, the place I bought my tub from became a believer. Of course it came with about a half an hour or so of negotiating.

I went in to buy the tub. I had my check book in hand just in case, but the place took a credit card. I then turned around, collected my reward points and paid the card off the next day. It worked out very sweet. Now I am getting like 100-200 dollars in gift cards for resturaunts and stuf just for using the card even though I never paid intrest. I would tell places that I was going to pay cash just to get their attention. Some places, I dont think believed I was a serious buyer. Well, the place I bought my tub from became a believer. Of course it came with about a half an hour or so of negotiating.

My Customers range from young kids chipping together for a party spa, to little old ladies who can barely get in one ( I had one get stuck in a spa once) But our main source of sales is the baby boomers in the $100,000 joint income bracket.