Vinyl Liner Or Fiberglass?

MarkSpitz

We're going to have a pool installed and we're trying to decide between vinyl liner and fiberglass. Obviously, the fg will cost more, but we could go with fewer features and options. The posts concerning liner problems and leaks is cause for concern. Do vinyl pools fail more often? They sound like they're very expensive to repair.

There seems to be a couple misconceptions here. There are a very large number of liner pools out there ranging in age(up to 40 years). As a result, some do need more extensive work. The most common repair is liner replacement which happens every 10-15 years depending on chemicals, climate and use. The second most common repair is plumbing leaks on older pools. For holes in liners, the repair is simply a patch done by the home owner. Liner pools were created because they can take more punishment caused by ground movement. There are fewer fiberglass pools in the ground, but they have captured a larger share of sales in recent years. They too can have problems and I expect as they age, you will see an increasing number of posts regarding repair needs. Just remember, whatever pool type you choose, discuss drainage if you have a high water table, discuss deck support in expansive ground and discuss issues such as roots

There seems to be a couple misconceptions here. There are a very large number of liner pools out there ranging in age(up to 40 years). As a result, some do need more extensive work. The most common repair is liner replacement which happens every 10-15 years depending on chemicals, climate and use. The second most common repair is plumbing leaks on older pools. For holes in liners, the repair is simply a patch done by the home owner. Liner pools were created because they can take more punishment caused by ground movement. There are fewer fiberglass pools in the ground, but they have captured a larger share of sales in recent years. They too can have problems and I expect as they age, you will see an increasing number of posts regarding repair needs. Just remember, whatever pool type you choose, discuss drainage if you have a high water table, discuss deck support in expansive ground and discuss issues such as roots

agreed. I have seen very few liner pools "fail" per say. sure, they need liner changes, but moden steel wall pools hold up pretty well. There are still plenty of wood wall ones from the 60's out there holding up just fine. It's all in the drainage. Fiberglass is nice because of the finish, but I have concerns about what happens in the future. You can re marbledust a gunite pool and drop a liner in a vinyl pool and renew it. What would you do with the fiberglass? I guess you could sand it down and re gel coat it? I just don't know.

for longevity, I feel nothing beats gunite (marcite, plaster, whatever you want to call it) the shell is made of steel reinforced concrete and you can refinish and replumb them many times over. unless the shell was really poorly built, I can see them outlasting you and the next guy and your grandkids. But as with anything, you are gonna pay. they cost more to build and to refinish than vinyl.

with that said, I work for a very prominent gunite company and I would probably still get a vinyl in my yard. i am just not made of money. Personally, I have to see a few 20 year old fiberglass pools up close to consider one. where are the fiberglass installers out there? I would like to hear from them on this. especially about refinishing them.

agreed. I have seen very few liner pools "fail" per say. sure, they need liner changes, but moden steel wall pools hold up pretty well. There are still plenty of wood wall ones from the 60's out there holding up just fine. It's all in the drainage. Fiberglass is nice because of the finish, but I have concerns about what happens in the future. You can re marbledust a gunite pool and drop a liner in a vinyl pool and renew it. What would you do with the fiberglass? I guess you could sand it down and re gel coat it? I just don't know.

for longevity, I feel nothing beats gunite (marcite, plaster, whatever you want to call it) the shell is made of steel reinforced concrete and you can refinish and replumb them many times over. unless the shell was really poorly built, I can see them outlasting you and the next guy and your grandkids. But as with anything, you are gonna pay. they cost more to build and to refinish than vinyl.

with that said, I work for a very prominent gunite company and I would probably still get a vinyl in my yard. i am just not made of money. Personally, I have to see a few 20 year old fiberglass pools up close to consider one. where are the fiberglass installers out there? I would like to hear from them on this. especially about refinishing them.

Thanks to both you and Sunbuilt. Your responses and insights are very helpful. There's a lot of information out there and it becomes a bit overwhelming.