Hot Springs - Words Of Wisdom?

I'm looking for advice/observations concerning the Hot Springs Prodigy, Sovereign, and Vanguard spas.

Regarding the Prodigy, I only need accomodations for 4 adults so this fits the bill but I am concerned about possibly suffering buyer's remorse by buying small. (Is this a valid concern?) The foot well area of the Prodigy is also relatively small and there aren't any jets on the bottom. (Is this a valid concern?) However, I like the $6.4K price tag.

The next one up pricewise is the Sovereign which has a lounge which I don't think I'm too keen on. It takes up a lot of space, has no jets for the leg area, and probably won't be of use to me as I am short. However, it is larger than the Prodigy. The quoted price is $7.5K.

The Vanguard is spacious, no lounge, a very nice spa indeed. I guess the only thing I don't like is the price: $8.5K.

Finally, are all colors created equally or do some hold up better than others? How about those prices?

Any information would be much appreciated. (And yes, I do plan on doing wet tests but I'd still like some outside input.)

test them all out if you can. Only you can make that call. everyone has their own priorities.

As for the color, yes some do hold up better. The glossy smooth colors scratch alot easier. The best that I have seen is the hot springs standard white and D1 white. That shell hols up very well. My father in law has it oon his 20 year old D1 and looks as good as it was new. I think it holds up well but is plain and blah looking. If you can get over that, it would be my choicew for longevity. One question though? Why does it have to be a hot springs. They were some of the weakest, most expensive and overated product out there. I am not trying to slam them. They are very well made tubs(some of the highest quality) but price, features, comfort and therapy, the hot springs ranked pretty low with me.

test them all out if you can. Only you can make that call. everyone has their own priorities.

As for the color, yes some do hold up better. The glossy smooth colors scratch alot easier. The best that I have seen is the hot springs standard white and D1 white. That shell hols up very well. My father in law has it oon his 20 year old D1 and looks as good as it was new. I think it holds up well but is plain and blah looking. If you can get over that, it would be my choicew for longevity. One question though? Why does it have to be a hot springs. They were some of the weakest, most expensive and overated product out there. I am not trying to slam them. They are very well made tubs(some of the highest quality) but price, features, comfort and therapy, the hot springs ranked pretty low with me.

I couldn't agree more! When you compare apples with apples, most larger manufacturers will blow a Hot Spring away feature for feature. I just don't think they are a good value, even though they are a nice spa. Let's face it, most larger manufacturers are built just as well, have the same warranty, and have more features than a Hot Spring Spa. If you believe "less is more" than a Prodigy is the perfect spa for you!

I couldn't agree more! When you compare apples with apples, most larger manufacturers will blow a Hot Spring away feature for feature. I just don't think they are a good value, even though they are a nice spa. Let's face it, most larger manufacturers are built just as well, have the same warranty, and have more features than a Hot Spring Spa. If you believe "less is more" than a Prodigy is the perfect spa for you!

Please share with the group your qualifications for determing:

A. Built just as well.

B. Have more features

Fact is, when comparing spa brands you are not comparing features to features.

Regarding the Prodigy, I only need accomodations for 4 adults so this fits the bill but I am concerned about possibly suffering buyer's remorse by buying small. (Is this a valid concern?)

Yes, that is a very valid concern and many make that mistake. They're all quality spas and have all the featues (not sure why Kreg thinks otherwise) but you do NOT want to get stuck with having to play footsies with everyone.

I investigated the products available in my area: Hot Springs, Sundance, Vita Spa, Coleman, and the Costco and Sam's Club variety. Sundance was the only other manufacturer in close running, quality wise. However, two things stood out: 1) I was told that the pump system cycles 4 times a day for cleaning purposes. It sounds like the spa is in use when it isn't. The Hot Springs spas have a separate small, quiet pump for cycling the water -- no noise! 2) The fit and finish on the Hot Springs just appeared finer.

Thank you for your input.

I investigated the products available in my area: Hot Springs, Sundance, Vita Spa, Coleman, and the Costco and Sam's Club variety. Sundance was the only other manufacturer in close running, quality wise. However, two things stood out: 1) I was told that the pump system cycles 4 times a day for cleaning purposes. It sounds like the spa is in use when it isn't. The Hot Springs spas have a separate small, quiet pump for cycling the water -- no noise! 2) The fit and finish on the Hot Springs just appeared finer.

I agree. The tubs we checked out were fine, but the Hot Springs just seemed a bit nicer and the 24hr quiet pump is nice. The tub does not kick on periodically and the 100% filtration is another good feature.

We have a HS Vanguard and though we haven't had 4 adults in our yet, I would guess that anything smaller with 4 adults we'd be fighting for foot space.... Since I did not wet-test the smaller HS models I can't say for sure though.

I'm looking for advice/observations concerning the Hot Springs Prodigy, Sovereign, and Vanguard spas.

Regarding the Prodigy, I only need accomodations for 4 adults so this fits the bill but I am concerned about possibly suffering buyer's remorse by buying small. (Is this a valid concern?) The foot well area of the Prodigy is also relatively small and there aren't any jets on the bottom. (Is this a valid concern?) However, I like the $6.4K price tag.

The next one up pricewise is the Sovereign which has a lounge which I don't think I'm too keen on. It takes up a lot of space, has no jets for the leg area, and probably won't be of use to me as I am short. However, it is larger than the Prodigy. The quoted price is $7.5K.

The Vanguard is spacious, no lounge, a very nice spa indeed. I guess the only thing I don't like is the price: $8.5K.

Finally, are all colors created equally or do some hold up better than others? How about those prices?

Any information would be much appreciated. (And yes, I do plan on doing wet tests but I'd still like some outside input.)

Your concerns are valid concerns, All of them after all you are the one that will be using the spa and you need to be comfortable with your purchase. Evey customer is different and their needs are too.

Did you check out the Hotspring Accolade? That is a 36" deep model that is inbetween the soveriegn and Vanguard.

In my case when I installed my spa I had the same concerns that you are expressing about the spa size. I didnt want to put a spa in and then be sitting in it with 4 other people wishing that I had spent the extra money to go with a bigger spa. I went with the Grandee but if I had it to do over again I would go with the Vanguard. The Grandee is nice but in my case All the extra room never gets used.

Room in the footwell is nice to have, you only want to be "playing footsies" if the other person is attractive and not related to you, lol. Be sure that you have enough room for your personal needs and sit down and honestly evaluate how often you will have company over, and how many people. I have a 5 - 6 person spa of a different brand, and the most we've had in it so far has been 4 people (my wife and I enjoy more quiet times with smaller groups . . . are we getting old? haha) and it was the perfect size for all 4 of us comfortably. Other than that, it is usually just my wife and myself in it, but we both like to switch to different seats depending on what kind of tub experience we want. Also, when and if you have company over, how many will actually be in the tub at once? Most people will jump in for a short period of time, hop out and cool off for a bit, maybe get back in, or sit up on the side and cool down, so with even a 5 or 6 person tub, a group of 8 or so people wouldn't be bad (except in winter cold months). And don't worry about others putting down the manufacturer, while there are bad ones out there, HS isn't one of them from what i've seen and heard, just make sure you have a reputable dealer and are comfortable with your tub (And i own an Arctic Spa, so i'm not being biased).

While I understand that you clearly stated the brands which you compared, I must say that ther are many other quality brands out there with the 24 hour quiet circulation pump that are just as good as hot springs build quality for much less in price

While I understand that you clearly stated the brands which you compared, I must say that ther are many other quality brands out there with the 24 hour quiet circulation pump that are just as good as hot springs build quality for much less in price

Sundace has a circulation pump. And I think your dealer may have been mistaken, you can program it to not do cleanup cycles. or do 2 or 4 for 5 minutes or 2 hours or 4. I think theres alot of flexability in there programing. Somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Sundace has a circulation pump. And I think your dealer may have been mistaken, you can program it to not do cleanup cycles. or do 2 or 4 for 5 minutes or 2 hours or 4. I think theres alot of flexability in there programing. Somebody jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

That is absolutely correct.

Yes, I researched on line and found 25+ manufacturers. The problem is they all are not available everywhere. It's not like shopping for a car where dealerships for every make of car abound, and often right next to each other. I would have to travel out of state. Now, having said that I would still be interested in the brands you refer to. It could be worth a trip...

Thanks for the clarification -- that's quite different to what I was told but does make more sense.

Please share with the group your qualifications for determing:

A. Built just as well.

B. Have more features

Fact is, when comparing spa brands you are not comparing features to features.

Hot Spring doesn't have the market cornered in well-built spas. It cracks me up how brainwashed Hot Spring people get over their product. Doesn't it cost more money from a manufacturing standpoint to have more features? More pumps, bigger pumps, more jets, etc. all costs money to have in a spa. Fact is, Hot Springs are under-powered spas that can't even run the few jets that they have in them without diverter valves. Make no mistake, I like Hot Spring Spas and if you find a dealer that will take good care of you, then that is half the battle. I just think they are WAY overpriced for what you get, and instead of paying for more features, you pay for a name.

Kreg, you seem a little touchy with Hotspring. What brand do you sell?

Hot Spring doesn't have the market cornered in well-built spas. It cracks me up how brainwashed Hot Spring people get over their product. Doesn't it cost more money from a manufacturing standpoint to have more features? More pumps, bigger pumps, more jets, etc. all costs money to have in a spa. Fact is, Hot Springs are under-powered spas that can't even run the few jets that they have in them without diverter valves. Make no mistake, I like Hot Spring Spas and if you find a dealer that will take good care of you, then that is half the battle. I just think they are WAY overpriced for what you get, and instead of paying for more features, you pay for a name.

Hot Spring doesn't have the market cornered in well-built spas. Fact is, Hot Springs are under-powered spas that can't even run the few jets that they have in them without diverter valves.

I didn't find them underpowered at all. Matter of fact they have way more power than I need most of the time. And I like being able to control all the seats seperately with diverter valves. Just in case 2 people want a different feel at the same time.

I don't own a HS, just puting a different perspective on there power and flexability. Kreg says underpowered I say overpowered.

I have a Vanguard and I guess as long as you are making the investment it is worth the $ for the extra space. We usually use it with two people and it does not seem too big.

DO get into one because the jets may not be to your liking. The a Moto-Massage takes up both corners and I for one am not a big fan of that particular jet. Despite what some are saying the pumps are too powerful, I can;t sit and rexlax while being pummled. I do like the other jets but would like the Moto Massager to allow for a lighter touch.

All in all I am very happy with the unit and with Hot Springs in general. You ARE paying a lot of money for a name but there is a reason the name is expensive. If you find equal in features and backup in another brand in your area go for it... but the reason people get fanatical about this company is because they like the product and service. Most of the second and third tier companies in my area had very extreme mixed reviews so it seemed luck of the draw.

What is your experience in the spa business? Im just curious when you make the comments you make about Hotspring Spa.

Anyone that says a HotSpring Spa is underpowered is either a drunken monkey or is selling against them. I sat in a new Grandee yesterday and it dang near blew me out of the tub. HS does not have 100 little bullet jets in them all fighting for a piece of the pump's action. They have very large, very powerful jets that can be reduced in pressure should you desire a more gentle massage.

HotSpring has been the #1 selling brand of spa in the world for 20 consecutive years. Why, because they're cheap? No. Because they have TV's, video games, cell phones, etc. in them? No. Because they offer "rebates" or engage in fraudulent business practices? No.

They are #1 because they build spas that are designed to last, use very little energy, and provide a comfortable hydrotherapy experience. AND, they take care of their customers.

700,000 customers have chosen HotSpring as their spa and the numbers grow every year. Are there other good brands of spas out there? Yes there are a few, but there is a tremendous amount of pure junk being sold by fly-by-night outfits and con-artists. Buyer beware, do your research, wet test, check with the BBB, ripoffreport.com, and other consumer protection organizations and hopefully it will all be made clear.

Terminator

Anyone that says a HotSpring Spa is underpowered is either a drunken monkey or is selling against them. I sat in a new Grandee yesterday and it dang near blew me out of the tub. HS does not have 100 little bullet jets in them all fighting for a piece of the pump's action. They have very large, very powerful jets that can be reduced in pressure should you desire a more gentle massage.

HotSpring has been the #1 selling brand of spa in the world for 20 consecutive years. Why, because they're cheap? No. Because they have TV's, video games, cell phones, etc. in them? No. Because they offer "rebates" or engage in fraudulent business practices? No.

They are #1 because they build spas that are designed to last, use very little energy, and provide a comfortable hydrotherapy experience. AND, they take care of their customers.

700,000 customers have chosen HotSpring as their spa and the numbers grow every year. Are there other good brands of spas out there? Yes there are a few, but there is a tremendous amount of pure junk being sold by fly-by-night outfits and con-artists. Buyer beware, do your research, wet test, check with the BBB, ripoffreport.com, and other consumer protection organizations and hopefully it will all be made clear.

Terminator

Now dont sugar coat it. Tell us how you really feel. :D

Whats funny is that when someone knocks Hotsprings did you ever notice how its always because they have no jet pressure.

Those 700,000 customers must take a straw with them out to the spa. You know to get some action in the spa.

If I run the jets on the massage chair at full in my Vanguard I almost get blown out of the chair. I've been wondering about these folks who say the jets are under powered, what are they used to? Maybe an older tub, or different model?? I sure don't have my jets turned anywhere close to full power and it works just fine. Now my wife likes the jets a bit stronger then I do and she makes that massage thing zip up/down where I like little pressure and have it move slow. I find it hard to believe anyone would want more power blasing on them but I'm sure there are some who wouldn't mind their skin blasted off of their skeleton frame.

I do like the other jets but would like the Moto Massager to allow for a lighter touch.
Ask your dealer about a "Hydro Pulse Plate." It is an optional plate which takes the place of the faceplate that came with your spa. I has smaller holes, so it does exactly what you are asking for.

As far as I know, there is not a HP Plate for the double Moto yet.

Chas

If I run the jets on the massage chair at full in my Vanguard I almost get blown out of the chair. I've been wondering about these folks who say the jets are under powered, what are they used to? Maybe an older tub, or different model??

HotSpring has added larger pumps over the past four or five years. They don't make a big deal about it, because frankly shopping by horsepower is like shopping for a car by color.

If you can get the massage action you want while running a less power-hungry jet pump motor, I say you have done your homework.

HotSpring has.

HotSpring has added larger pumps over the past four or five years. They don't make a big deal about it, because frankly shopping by horsepower is like shopping for a car by color.

If you can get the massage action you want while running a less power-hungry jet pump motor, I say you have done your homework.

HotSpring has.

OK....so there you have it from the HS staff. Now just so you guys know, I don't like HS. Which is funny cause I drive a Chevy, which has always cost more than a Ford. But I don't have a Lund which has always cost more than a Crestliner. I do think there is a cost for the most popular brand in the world, which I also think is justified. But "I" just think there are better values out there..........................