Spa Covers

has anyone ever noticed when you are looking for a spa all the manufactures say they have the best cover like none other? they all blow the same smoke!!! come to find out one company, SUNSTAR makes a great majority of them for lots of companies. what is up with that?? talk about deception!!!!

the funny thing is that most dealers dont know mutch at all about the covers on their tubs. I didnt pay much attention to the cover, even knowing that the majority of your heat is lost in the cover because I can always replace it. Also, the R rating on may is different so they dont need to be really thick covers to do the same insullation.

the funny thing is that most dealers dont know mutch at all about the covers on their tubs. I didnt pay much attention to the cover, even knowing that the majority of your heat is lost in the cover because I can always replace it. Also, the R rating on may is different so they dont need to be really thick covers to do the same insullation.

The good Doc Spa (Andy) over on the "other" spa forum can give you any information you need to know about covers, differing r-factors in different kinds of foam and thichnesses, a reasonably fair evaluation on any cover brand (even though his are the best according to him) Of course he sells them.

I think Sunstar makes a great cover. And I have seen both Docs and there covers. Both are high quality.

Not all covers are created equal. Arctic Spas makes there own cover. Arctic does all of the warranty in house. Arctic uses 3lb density foam. Arctic uses an insulated baffle down the entire center of the cover. Arctic covers are stronger. 14 people can stand on the cover. This equates to snow load.

Michael

I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the top, but did on the lifting mechanism. My wife worked a deal to substitute the standard lifter for the locking one. I was concerned about possible wind blowing the thing down on us when we were in it, or kids pushing, etc.

I just make sure the top is closed properly, and loose flaps not folded under so that it seals as best as possible. Its only been a week and a half so I don't know what added cost we will have yet from the electric bill.

Not all covers are created equal. Arctic Spas makes there own cover. Arctic does all of the warranty in house. Arctic uses 3lb density foam. Arctic uses an insulated baffle down the entire center of the cover. Arctic covers are stronger. 14 people can stand on the cover. This equates to snow load.

Michael

What if I danced on it and I weighed 557lbs? There is a new Artic dealer on long island and I went and introduced myself today and they were polite.

Michael

Just about any cover company can use different density foam. Doc's covers have a seal down the entire lenght of the seam. Sunstar will also add this for very little money and has several different desitys of foam to choose including 3 lb. There are also reflective materials for the inside to help and other options from almost all the cover companys.

This is the one upgrade that I think is the most important for which ever brand you choose (except Arctic because it's standered), a cover upgrade. For a hundred bucks or so extra you will pay back in a few years of energy savings. Because a cover upgrade can save you upwards of 5 bucks a month.

Just about any cover company can use different density foam. Doc's covers have a seal down the entire lenght of the seam. Sunstar will also add this for very little money and has several different desitys of foam to choose including 3 lb. There are also reflective materials for the inside to help and other options from almost all the cover companys.

This is the one upgrade that I think is the most important for which ever brand you choose (except Arctic because it's standered), a cover upgrade. For a hundred bucks or so extra you will pay back in a few years of energy savings. Because a cover upgrade can save you upwards of 5 bucks a month.

Sunstar is a great cover. 4" to 21/2" outer so the load cannot stay on as easy.

...come to find out one company, SUNSTAR makes a great majority of them for lots of companies. what is up with that?? talk about deception!!!!

It may surprise you to know that many Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore, etc. appliances are made by the same manufacturer who, more or less, just slaps the company du jour label on them as they roll off the assembly line.

My point is that one manufacturer making the same widget for a bunch of different retailers isn't uncommon at all.

I noticed that someof the covers had a rubber gasket seal. On other dealer pointed out to me that a good quality cover doesnt need it becasue it seals on its own. He had me try to lift the cover he had up to see the seal it made. It did a pretty good job without it. I have one concern for the covers that have the rubber gasket. Doesnt that give a place for the heat to escape. I can see it holding the moisture in better but if there is a bit of a gap between the cover and the shell and all there is, is a rubber gasket. The heat transfer at the rubber is huge compared to the cover.

I noticed that someof the covers had a rubber gasket seal. On other dealer pointed out to me that a good quality cover doesnt need it becasue it seals on its own. He had me try to lift the cover he had up to see the seal it made. It did a pretty good job without it. I have one concern for the covers that have the rubber gasket. Doesnt that give a place for the heat to escape. I can see it holding the moisture in better but if there is a bit of a gap between the cover and the shell and all there is, is a rubber gasket. The heat transfer at the rubber is huge compared to the cover.

Sunstar makes an economical widget type concoction :rolleyes: