Inground Pool - Not Sure Of Hot Tub

JodiGirl

We are getting ready to install an inground pool in Tampa, FL on a canal. I like the looks of the cascading waterfall from the built in hot tubs, but am concerned of the comfort level. We currently have a portable hot tub on lanai and use it quite frequently - even in hot months as "mini-mini pool!" Do any of you have experience with the round concrete hot tubs with built-ins or having a portable associated with the built-in?

Thanks for any insight!

Jodi

You can install an acrylic built in spa with spillover feature. Baker products has a line called spillway spas designed to be used as spill over spas. You can choose from Octagon, round or rectangle with a recliner. So this way you can have comfort and still have the suken spa.

Any ideas on where I can find info on how to do this? I have never seen a comfort spa with an inground pool. It sounds like a better idea, just no sure how you do this? I have talked to several pool companies prior to this idea. I can call them back. The round built in spa just seems so ucomfortable?!?

Thanks!

We are getting ready to install an inground pool in Tampa, FL on a canal. I like the looks of the cascading waterfall from the built in hot tubs, but am concerned of the comfort level. We currently have a portable hot tub on lanai and use it quite frequently - even in hot months as "mini-mini pool!" Do any of you have experience with the round concrete hot tubs with built-ins or having a portable associated with the built-in?

Thanks for any insight!

Jodi

I deal with a lot of pool customers and I seevery few that are happy with their spas built into their pools.

If you just want a system that has hot water with some jets the built in spa will do the job but if you use your spa for therapy a self contained still cant be beat.

When I built my inground pool I could have built a spa on cheaper than adding my self contained spa but I chose the later as I knew I wouldnt be happy with the inground.

Another advantage with the self contained is its ready to go anytime. I never know what time I'm going to get home and if I had to turn my spa on a half hour or hour before I wanted to use it I wouldnt use it half as much as I do. My opinion.

I deal with a lot of pool customers and I seevery few that are happy with their spas built into their pools.

If you just want a system that has hot water with some jets the built in spa will do the job but if you use your spa for therapy a self contained still cant be beat.

When I built my inground pool I could have built a spa on cheaper than adding my self contained spa but I chose the later as I knew I wouldnt be happy with the inground.

Another advantage with the self contained is its ready to go anytime. I never know what time I'm going to get home and if I had to turn my spa on a half hour or hour before I wanted to use it I wouldnt use it half as much as I do. My opinion.

I appreicate your opinion, my concern exactly! My husband and I seem to differ on that note. I found the Butler Spillover tubs, but he doesn't think mixing the acrylic tub with the concrete pool sounds like a good idea. I'm still divided with no research on the matter. He says no reason, just not sure. And he doesn't like the look of the self contained outside of the pool. I think I can make it look quite nice with tropicals, pergula, etc. We are in FL. We currently have one that came with the house and do enjoy it quite a bit. It's a lot of money to have installed for not liking it. You can't go back either way. . .

Thanks for the info. - Jodi

I appreicate your opinion, my concern exactly! My husband and I seem to differ on that note. I found the Butler Spillover tubs, but he doesn't think mixing the acrylic tub with the concrete pool sounds like a good idea. I'm still divided with no research on the matter. He says no reason, just not sure. And he doesn't like the look of the self contained outside of the pool. I think I can make it look quite nice with tropicals, pergula, etc. We are in FL. We currently have one that came with the house and do enjoy it quite a bit. It's a lot of money to have installed for not liking it. You can't go back either way. . .

I live in St. Augustine FL and have a similar setup to what you describe. I have an IG fiberglass pool and have a raised Baker MFG. Spillway Spillover spa. I previously owned a portable spa 10'x10' with 2 recliners and many therapy jets and I like my new one better. It has a separate blower for the bubble ring and share the filter and pump with the pool. The water movement in the spa is phenomenal. If I direct the jets all in the same direction I get a good whirlpool effect which is excellent for helping aching muscles. I have an Aquacal Icebreaker heatpump that brings the spa up to 100 degrees in about 15 minutes during the winter here!. The pool and spa are controlled by a Goldline PS-8 automation system with a SWG cell and floating spa remote that controls the pool and spa lights, filter, pool and spa valves and blower and another full function remote so I can turn things on, off, check temp, etc from inside my house. My old spa first required removing the hard cover (and finding a place to store it) and that could take almost as long as waiting for my new one to heat and was a two person job. I keep a solar blanket on the new one and can put it on and take it off in less than a minute and just fold it on one of my deck chairs. My water chemistry maintanence has become MUCH simpler and the best thing is I just need to run the spillover to put new water in the spa. I have never measured any Combined chlorine in either the pool or the spa since it has been installed nor have I ever needed to shock.

In addition, it is raised just enough above the deck so you can sit on the gunite shell it is installed in and swing your legs around to enter it or just step up onto the shell rim and then into the spa. My old spa had steps and needed a handrail for getting in and out of (found that out the hard way after a nasty fall) I might just be lucky and had a builder that did things right but if it can be reproduced then IMHO, it is the way to go!

If you want a self contained spa but you want it built in there are ways to build a vault and set them down in the ground and you would never be able to tell that it isnt an inground. This has some real advantages over a inground spa.

You couls ask around and see if any of the spa dealers in your area do this. If you cant find anyone I can give you some info on how to do this.