Keep Liner Wet?

mplekker

Hi,

I decided to drain my pool. The leaf situation is just too bad to scoop them all out and try to shock it. So I am draining it and getting new water next month or so....Question is: Do I need to keep the liner wet? It's going to be a month or so, and I don't want it to dry out or anything....I don't think so, cause if that were the case, then how come the little piece of liner above the water line doesn't normally dry out? Any other things to watch for while I drain it?

Good day!

Mario

I am no expert but I don't think you should EVER drain your pool with a vinyl liner. I found this out the hard way. Granted my liner was old and needed to be replaced any way but when I drained mine to patch a small hole and later that day refilled it the liner ripped and several places. I think when you take out the water the liner shrinks a little and then when you refill it it puts a lot of extra pressure on it. maybe if you have a newer liner it will be ok. I'm sure one of the pros on here will be able to advise better than I can but I am pretty sure that is a no no.

I am no expert but I don't think you should EVER drain your pool with a vinyl liner. I found this out the hard way. Granted my liner was old and needed to be replaced any way but when I drained mine to patch a small hole and later that day refilled it the liner ripped and several places. I think when you take out the water the liner shrinks a little and then when you refill it it puts a lot of extra pressure on it. maybe if you have a newer liner it will be ok. I'm sure one of the pros on here will be able to advise better than I can but I am pretty sure that is a no no.

Yes, you need to keep water in the pool until right up until you replace the water. If you drain it in the morning and refill it in the afternoon, it should be OK. Try to do it on a day that's in the 60's but not 80's. In the meantime, you can still keep on scooping the leaves out, doing some each day. Apparantly you did not have a cover on the pool.

As far as patching, you can do it right under water without draining the pool, just get patch glue that is designed to work under water and a piece of vinyl.

...what he said