Chemical Question

hoopy

• 2 weeks later...
What exactly does chlorine do to the PH? I have searched and googled and can't seem to find this. When I add some granular chlroine to my spa, does this raise or lower my PH? Also, what does the shock do to the PH? Thanks.

depends on the type of chlorine. There are two types of chlorine commenly used in spas as either sanitizer or shock-- dichlor (one form of stabilized chlorine--usually granuales) which is slightly acidic and will slowly lower pH and liquid chlorine or household bleach (same thing except for the concentration) which is alkaline and will raise pH. Calcium hypochlorite (Cal Hypo) and lithium hypochlorite are both powers that are sometimes used as shock. Both are alkaline and will raise pH Monopersulfate (non chlorine shock) is very acidic and will lower pH. The more important question is what does the pH do to chlorine. Chlorine, whether primary sanitizer or shock, is more effective at a lower pH (7.2-7.4) than at the higher end (7.6-7.8)

What exactly does chlorine do to the PH? I have searched and googled and can't seem to find this. When I add some granular chlroine to my spa, does this raise or lower my PH? Also, what does the shock do to the PH? Thanks.

The key is to adjust the total alkalinity to the ideal level, 80-120. By doing so, your pH won't jump around as much because you have the correct amount of buffers in the water. So adjust your TA first, and the pH will stay pretty stable for the most part.

The key is to adjust the total alkalinity to the ideal level, 80-120. By doing so, your pH won't jump around as much because you have the correct amount of buffers in the water. So adjust your TA first, and the pH will stay pretty stable for the most part.

Even with proper total alkalinity levels the different types of chlorine will have an impact on the pH. Having an alkalinity buffer will not keep you pH from slowly changing but it will keep it from "bouncing".

Shock(sodium hypochlorite) raises the PH. Bromine and bromine salt solution lowers PH. Stabalized chlorine will lower PH and Lithium hypochlorite will raise it slightly. So it depends on what kind of granular you are using.

Shock(sodium hypochlorite) raises the PH. Bromine and bromine salt solution lowers PH. Stabalized chlorine will lower PH and Lithium hypochlorite will raise it slightly. So it depends on what kind of granular you are using.

Sodium hypochlorite is LIQUID! It is a non stablized chlorine that can be used for sanitation, shock, or making sure your whites are white in the washer! The most commen granular chlorine used in spas is Dichlor which is slightly acidic. Trichlor (the OTHER stabilized chlorine) is not recommended for spas and is very acidic

Sodium hypochlorite is LIQUID! It is a non stablized chlorine that can be used for sanitation, shock, or making sure your whites are white in the washer! The most commen granular chlorine used in spas is Dichlor which is slightly acidic. Trichlor (the OTHER stabilized chlorine) is not recommended for spas and is very acidic

I was just making a point but you are absolutely right