Tubs Built Into Deck

We are thinking about building a deck around the hot tub and I am wondering how many people have done this and how did you maintained accessability to the working parts. Any help would be appreciated.

#1) I highly suggest you do not totally sink it in but rather leave the spa bartop about 12-15" above the deck. This allows you to use a cover lifter and makes it MUCH easier to get in and out of the tub as the seat will be about at the same level as the deck.

#2) you'll need total access to the front. Usually you just build a false floor in front that can be removed so someone cen get down to teh equipment. I'd say you want it to open at least 30" back from the tub.

I assume drainage won't be an issue.

I knew, great question, I need some recommendations myself. We bought a fixer upper home and have an addition going in this spring. With that we are building a new deck and the I thought, if we were ever going to do it right, now is the time to get a spa and build a "spa wing" so it doesnt cut into our needed deck space.

Our kitchen and family room exit 1 story up in the back yard. The deck and the spa will be 10-12 ft off the ground.

1) I would like to sink the tub, but would it be hard to do maintenance?

2) I bought a Sundance Optima, and service space recommendations for that model?

3) If you have access to the front panel, is that enough, how would you get to a leak in the back?

Since this deck is being built knowing we have a tub coming in, what recommendations would you have for the design

1)Drainage

2) Filling it with water?

3) any other?

Thanks

I would like to suggest an access door around all sides if possible. There is not only the equipment section but plumbing throughout the entire spa. In a "worst case" scenario, it would be best to not have to lift your spa out of the deck to fix a simple leak.

I would like to suggest an access door around all sides if possible. There is not only the equipment section but plumbing throughout the entire spa. In a "worst case" scenario, it would be best to not have to lift your spa out of the deck to fix a simple leak.

Yeah usually a dealer will tell you straight out that there is a lift charge if that needs to be done.

Suggestions for "I knew" and "martin"; from a spa owner (not a sales person), engineer, and one who's dome something similar:

First of all - the suggestions above are all good; and some I'll repeat here:

1. Your MUST have relatively easy access to the side with the equipment. I accomplished this by building a section of removable decking (three approximately 3 f 3 ft sections), and a pair of removable joists.

2. You should have some way of getting access to the other sides.

- One way is to build in 2-3 ft removable section on a second side, and;

- build your primary support structure "oversized". Then if access to the last two sides is required, you can empty the tub and push it to gain access.

3. I love my current tub-and-deck arrangement; the tub is "sunk in" about half-way, putting the seats about even with the deck. This was done p[artly to avoid blocking windows, and partly so the tub wouldn't look like a giant monstrosity on my deck.

4. If you have a high deck, be sure the spa support structure is sufficiently sturdy AND complies with local codes. Somre localities prohibit tieing this type of structure to a house.

Suggestions for "I knew" and "martin"; from a spa owner (not a sales person), engineer, and one who's dome something similar:

First of all - the suggestions above are all good; and some I'll repeat here:

1. Your MUST have relatively easy access to the side with the equipment. I accomplished this by building a section of removable decking (three approximately 3 f 3 ft sections), and a pair of removable joists.

2. You should have some way of getting access to the other sides.

- One way is to build in 2-3 ft removable section on a second side, and;

- build your primary support structure "oversized". Then if access to the last two sides is required, you can empty the tub and push it to gain access.

3. I love my current tub-and-deck arrangement; the tub is "sunk in" about half-way, putting the seats about even with the deck. This was done p[artly to avoid blocking windows, and partly so the tub wouldn't look like a giant monstrosity on my deck.

4. If you have a high deck, be sure the spa support structure is sufficiently sturdy AND complies with local codes. Somre localities prohibit tieing this type of structure to a house.

You might as well buy just the shell from (BRADFORD) to your specs (customize) and buy a seperate filter and heater. The tub would look wonderful in the deck and wouldn't have to worry about lifting it out of the deck when it needs to be repaired.