Arctic Spa Owners?

... there was a post from Tom (unless it has been deleted) that identifed that Arctic is using the use of peroxide based chemicals as an "out" for any warranty claims.

Since I am referred to here by name, I will respond. The post to which Wannago refers was drafted by corporate management and posted under my name at their request.

Please understand that I am no longer an official corporate spokesman (due to a lateral transfer to another department) and am now speaking personally. I don't know anything about the photos; I have been on holiday for two weeks and came back to the blank posts. AFAIK, Arctic had nothing to do with that (and certainly I didn't).

While I regret that it took so long, I'm glad that Chris's issues were taken care of and that he is again a happy customer. That's what we all want in the end.

Onward...

Arctic Spas (the manufacturer) does not recommend and in fact discourages the use of biguanide and hydrogen peroxide in their products and has done so for years, though there is at present no specific exclusion in the warranty and no specific injunction against dealers selling them.

The Arctic warranty does exclude "...damage caused by improper chemical balance". Though I don't know for sure, I expect that this is a common exclusion. There are forum members who do know, and their factual comments are welcome.

Nonetheless, it is NOT corporate policy to use this as an "out" for warranty claims as Wannago implies. To the contrary, CEO Darcy Amendt stated in a newsletter to customers (here) that "We are only requesting that dealers not recommend Baqua for our products. We have no plan at this time to not honor warranty when Baqua is used." I expect that a similar situation exists for Peroxysan and like products.

But again, I emphasize that in saying the above, I am not speaking as a company representative or in any official capacity (sorry for the tap dance, people, but I'm trying to cover my @ss here.)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

I would seriously suggest that you bring it to the attention of whomever is responsible to liaise with your dealer network, and have them advise your dealers of this policy. Even though you say Arctic discourages the use of these products, I know of at least one dealer - Paradise Bay in Calgary, that very strongly encourages the use of peroxide (Peroxysan), and in fact uses it as a selling point.

I would seriously suggest that you bring it to the attention of whomever is responsible to liaise with your dealer network,

Thanks, Wannago. I've heard from a couple of our dealers who sell and recommend this product. The apparent contradiction has been brought to the attention of our principles for resolution. I apologize for any confusion.

Hello, I'm also an owner of an Arctic spa , a cub. But I'm not a happy owner. The spa has an Onzen natural salt water care system ( salt electrolyses). I'm from Belgium , my English might not be perfect , I'm sorry. I already contacted onzen by email, without succes.

I’ll start from the beginning when we have purchased the spa.

We’ve ordered the spa by Aquahealth , at 17-03-2008 , the price was 13300 Euros. That week we have paid a deposit of 6000 Euros. He promised us that the spa would be delivered in May 2008. After many phone calls and emails from our side, the spa was finally delivered at 10-07-2008 ( with two months of delay!!!) . He didn't have he right cover , the cover had the wrong color and was too large , it was a cover from another type spa. He promised us that the right cover would be delivered begin august 2008. We filled the spa with water , added salt ( Werner Van Aelst had put 4kg of salt into the spa )and he started the spa up.

At 23-07-2008 the problems did begin. The PH-level was much too high, I kept on adding PH-reducer for several times in the days that followed , but nothing changed, it wouldn’t get better, there was also a very high chlorine level! We did choose for a spa with salt electrolyses because my husband is allergic for chlorine , and Mr. Van Aelst told us that this was a very nice system if you didn’t like the chlorine. I’ve called and emailed Aquahealth , but because it took more than a week before I got a reaction , we have drained all the water out of the spa because the pillows and my swimming cloths (which I’ve only worn once in the spa!) were totally faded ( bleached) because of the chlorine. At 25-08-2008 ( a month later!) I have called and mailed again , without any reaction or solution. Finally , at 27-08-2008 we’ve had an answer , but they had no more salt!!! They had to order it , which I hardly can believe , if you sell spa’s with a salt system you should have salt in stock , isn’t it? He told us to fill the spa again with water and to put a chlorine tab into the spa and to turn the dial to the minimum. We’ve did that and that was o.k. for a while. But it was the intention that the salt electrolyses would do his job properly without using chlorine tabs , otherwise we would have choosen for a cheaper spa of course!

At 18-09-2008 , again almost a month later, we still hadn’t seen anyone from Aquahealth , which means that we still hadn’t any salt , no right cover , no proper products , no new pillows,…!! Finally Mr. Van Aelst came with the salt ( this time he added 3kg of the salt , because before he added too much of the salt into the water) , the pillows and finally the right cover! So far , so good. We’ve turned the dial ( the salt controll cell) low but we still had a bit of a chlorine smell ( not as high as before , but because the allergy of my husband against the chlorinesmell , this was annoying). But we kept on going on this way, the ph-level was quite stable now, after adding some PH –reducer from time to time .

After a few months we’ve refreshed the water of the spa and Mr.Van Aelst reccomended us to use salt with bromide, which we did. That was better , just the alkalinity level was always too high.

In June 2009 we would refresh the water again , but Mr. Van Aelst told us that the salt electrolyses cell needed to be replaced because there was something wrong whit this one. So we’ve drained the water out of the spa but didn’t fill it again before the salt electrolyses cell would have been replaced.

Again it took more than 2 months before he finally came to replace the cell!!! Finally he came at 24-08-2009 to replace the cell. He told me that I could fill the spa that evening , which I did , I added +-3 à 3,5 kg bromine salt into the water . But untill now we still can’t use the spa because of serious problems again!!The chlorine level is really very, very high ( +10!!!) and the PH-level is much too high ( 8.3!!) , the smell of the water is really very bad! I’m not able to stabilize the water , Mr. Van Aelst adviced me to add PH-reducer and Alkalinity increaser several times just untill the water became back to normal PH-levels and chlorine levels. That is what I did many times , but really nothing does change !The dial (salt controll cell) stands low and it doesn't have any effect if I put this higher. Finally we’ve drained half of the water out of the spa and refilled with fresh water , but that also seems not to be working! The ph-level and chlorine level keep on staying that high!!!

The onzenator seems to be working, because there are coming bubbles out of the cell that MR. Van Aelst had changed. But since that cell had been replaced there are always many bubbles coming out of the cell , even when the dial stands low , there is also a smoky cloud that is coming out of the cell and that is something that I’ve never noticed before . When I add some PH- reducer ( solved in a bit of water) to the water of the spa , the water is colouring brown for a while that is also something that I haven’t noticed before. Is this normal?

You can understand that we are very disappointed with this spa and especially with the services from Aquahealth!! We‘ve paid so much money for this kind of spa and we doesn't have anything but trouble with it . Instead of relaxation , the spa only gives us tension!! What do you think of all the waste of money during the year that we do have spa now? Thinking of the following : drain and refill with water for several times because it’s not right, elektricity waste ( the spa is still connected without being used for a very long time , the purchase of the products which doesn’t work , the purchase of many measuring sticks, the swimming clothes that are totally bleached, too much to mention it all!!)

Now we are so tired of all this that we are considering to get the spa away and asking our money back , compensation included for all this!

We called Mr. Van Aelst and he admits that he doesn't have any solution to our problems and that Arctic needs to solve this , he admits that he doesn't have enough experience with this kind of systems ( the salt system) . But I wonder why he can sell this kind of systems then if he doesn't have any experience with it! You can understand that we wouldn’t recommend anyone to buy an Arctic spa by Aquahealth!

Now , I really do hope that they can solve our problems because otherwise we feel obliged to take further steps ( legal action )

Is there any-one here who has a soltion for our problems so that we finally can use the spa again?

Is there any-one here who has a solution for our problems so that we finally can use the spa again?

Miranda, I have forwarded your concerns to the director of Arctic's European division.

• 12 years later...
On 4/2/2006 at 12:33 AM, Jason Collier said:

Are you an arctic spa owner? Would you mind sharing what model you purchased, why you picked that model and the cost out the door ...

Thanks,

Jason

I have the model underneath the Tundra, and every option available but the aroma therapy. Options available at the time we’re not as many as today I would imagine. Bought it around 13 or 14 years ago. $13000 thereabouts, was the price out the door. Attic’s Spa are beast. Had some initial warranty issues, with gets, all ended up being replaced. Couple of heaters, 1 pump. Glue let go on major line, flooded complete tub. Happened a second time while in tub. Double clamped all hoses. No more issues. New mother board. Like this new board, used on all their spas now, much better than their other ones. Logical and straight forward. Except for when it comes to adding the app. Any ideas, stickies, notes ext. anyone can share to help? Original topside new motherboard.

Veey grateful for any feedback.