Arctic Spa Owners?

I would love for someone with an Onzen system to describe the idiot's guide to the first couple of weeks. Mine still appears to be very low on Calcium (which to me sounds counter-intuitive...).

Thanks for purchasing our product. Thanks for the kind words, too--enough of those, and maybe I can get a raise! :rolleyes:

Now, have we got a deal for you. Onzen comes with free Factory Tech Support. The number is in the User Guide at the bottom of page 6, and you can call any time during normal business hours, Mountain Time. We'll be happy to answer your questions and help you get your system running right.

Because this is a customer information line, please have your spa serial number handy as proof of ownership.

Please don't ask for me. I'm not at that number, and it would just confuse things.

Tom

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for someone with an Onzen system to describe the idiot's guide to the first couple of weeks. Mine still appears to be very low on Calcium (which to me sounds counter-intuitive...).

Thanks for purchasing our product. Thanks for the kind words, too--enough of those, and maybe I can get a raise! :rolleyes:

Now, have we got a deal for you. Onzen comes with free Factory Tech Support. The number is in the User Guide at the bottom of page 6, and you can call any time during normal business hours, Mountain Time. We'll be happy to answer your questions and help you get your system running right.

Because this is a customer information line, please have your spa serial number handy as proof of ownership.

Please don't ask for me. I'm not at that number, and it would just confuse things.

Tom

Tom I have owned an Apollo spa for over 9 years and now just purchased last week and waiting for delivery an Arctic Glacier Signature hot tub with Onzen system

The local dealer first told me that the Onzen system comes with a digital tester, now they are telling me it doesn't.

Is this digital tester an accessory that I need to purchase separetly and what does it test exactly?

Didn't see any info on the Artic website.

Chuck

I bought a 2007 Arctic Klondiker Legend Extreme and took deliver in November, it has everything including Northern Lights, AquaTremor, Peak Ozone, 61 jets, 14 air, yadda, yadda, yadda. I simply love it.

I will tell you why I bought an Arctic and why no other comes even close. I'm going to sound like a salesman, but I'm not, I'm an educated buyer, I spent over six months looking at spas, pricing and haggling and I even wired it in with a little help.

Point blank - other spas seemed cheap, you'll have to do the research yourself to know for sure and to form your own conclusion.

Above all else what I am buying is a tub with plumbing, motors and electronics.

I Looked at the shells, most shells were paper thin plastic, without the frame and cabinet they flexed and creaked. Arctic was thick hand rolled fiberglass which feels great and is rock solid.

I wish the panels were transparent sometimes because the engineering inside was simply beautiful, functional and well thought out. Look in the cabinet. I think this is was the most convincing argument.

Insulation was not blown in covering up shotty work. Plastic Exteriors have no R value, wood actually has an insulating property. Blown in insulation is cheap, looks cheap and makes repairs nearly impossible. Independent studies indicated excellent energy efficiency compared to many other makes.

I know that if it moves, it breaks...it had replaceable jets.

The Aquatremor sound system had no moving or exposed parts, nothing to wear out, nothing to get wet or corrode. You know those stupid pop up things are gonna break right?

Peak Ozone ? I don't really know...it makes bubbles that smell funny, but I'm sure it will last a longer than a light bulb.

...If I worked at Arctic

Diverters make a rushing noise unless they're full left right or adjusted perfectly. Silence would be golden.

Northern Lights - Purple isn't really purple, red, green and blue are great, but yellow is gross, and other colors just don't do it for me. Here's whatcha do - Press once to select the light program, while in color rotation program #2, the color will slowly change, when pressed again instead of turning lights off it would stop rotating and hold your perfect mood color. The lights would be placed one at the foot and one on each side 12" below the water level.

Claw diverters - I like penguins too, but I don't want beak diverters either, at least a choice would be nice, the salesman said there were no other diverter or venturi handles that fit and I pushed very hard, I would love to be corrected if this isn't the case.

The waterfall would be a perfectly smooth ray of water that would most gently return from whence it came. I've seen it, it can be done.

The computer with the big bear logo, I know it's Arctic, but I secretly hope it breaks so I can replace it. Some things will always go out of style, even cuddly polar bears. No logo computer, just subtle controls.

Most color choices look like regurgitated oatmeal...still, it keeps the eyes from focusing on minute detail, waterlines, etc. Alternate patterns that still conceal water lines would be more attractive, not really a biggie, it's dark most of the time anyway.

I've never regretted the purchase. I can't say what I purchased it for, the guys at Tukwila Apollo worked very hard to earn my business, and continue to with every visit.

waiting for delivery an Arctic Glacier Signature hot tub with Onzen system

The local dealer first told me that the Onzen system comes with a digital tester, now they are telling me it doesn't.

Is this digital tester an accessory that I need to purchase separetly and what does it test exactly?

Didn't see any info on the Artic website.

Thank you for buying our product. I wish you many years of happy soaking.

New website due to go up some time this summer.

We offer a startup kit that includes the ORP meter but dealers are independent businesses and may put together their own kits without the meter. An ORP meter gives you a quick and accurate reading of free chlorine (or bromine and/or pH, depending on the meter). The ORP reading varies with the pH level. A high pH will reduce the ORP reading, indicating that the sanitizer is not as effective. Bringing the pH down or adding more sanitizer will raise the ORP millivolt reading. So it is important to balance pH first.

Although they may still require some special handling (keeping the electrode moist during storage, for example), self-calibrating ORP meters are fairly easy to use. The cost of these meters has come down dramatically, making it feasible to include one in the Onzen startup kit if the dealer wishes. Or, as you say, you can buy one from any of a variety of sources. The meter in the kit is an ExTech RE300 and you can find online and, I'm sure, in many stores.

ORP is oxidation-reduction potential. Doc Spa has a good explanation at his site.

I bought a 2007 Arctic Klondiker Legend Extreme and took deliver in November... I simply love it. I will tell you why I bought an Arctic and why no other comes even close. I'm going to sound like a salesman

You do! But honest, folks, he doesn't work for us...

If I worked at Arctic

...As this wish list suggests. Thank you for your suggestions - they will be passed on to our R & D Dept.

I've never regretted the purchase. I can't say what I purchased it for, the guys at Tukwila Apollo worked very hard to earn my business, and continue to with every visit.

That's good to hear, and I'll pass that one on to the dealer.

Above all else what I am buying is a tub with plumbing, motors and electronics.

I Looked at the shells, most shells were paper thin plastic, without the frame and cabinet they flexed and creaked. Arctic was thick hand rolled fiberglass which feels great and is rock solid.

This is a bit missleading as most manufacturers use hand rolled fiberglass backing and only a few don't

I wish the panels were transparent sometimes because the engineering inside was simply beautiful, functional and well thought out. Look in the cabinet. I think this is was the most convincing argument.

But some people just don't want to take care of wood. I personaly like wood also.

Insulation was not blown in covering up shotty work. Plastic Exteriors have no R value, wood actually has an insulating property. Blown in insulation is cheap, looks cheap and makes repairs nearly impossible. Independent studies indicated excellent energy efficiency compared to many other makes.

Oh boy...here we go again. But your right, if done right it can be just as effiecint as the other choice. But 99.9 percent of my repairs are in the equipment area and the frequency of repairs in non foam tubs is higher. But you are correct about alot of your points. Arctic makes a fine tub with a few downfalls like any other manufacturer. Let your own personal research decide.

Arctic makes a fine tub with a few downfalls like any other manufacturer.

Let's not go there right now. Let me bask in the compliments for a few minutes, okay?

Thank you. I enjoyed that. You may now resume normal programming.

Well, I actually just figured out my (Arctic Fox) Onzen system wasn't really on. You have to activate it with a somewhat odd key combo. It was basically just circulating the salt water mixture for a couple of days. Blame it on me not reading the manual properly, but it is a bit confusing.

The digital meter I thought came with it (only because the instruction manual kind of indicates it does) does not in fact come with it. However, I found all this out because Apollo has really responsive customer service. "Suzy" called personally AND emailed and answered my query.

End result however is glorious, sparkling clear water that makes your skin feel better. And hopefully, next to no maintenance. All my wife's organic-granola friends approve of it too.

Waiting to see the first month's power bill.... <_<

And I agree with the poster above. I can see the graphics on the control panel date as I soak. I wish they were just a panel.

Blame it on me not reading the manual properly, but it is a bit confusing.

Please PM me with the part you found confusing. We can make improvements on the next printing. Thanks in advance for your help. But did you call the customer help line, or email the onzen help center to get clarification? Remember, this information is on page 6 of the manual.

The digital meter I thought came with it (only because the instruction manual kind of indicates it does) does not in fact come with it. However, I found all this out because Apollo has really responsive customer service. "Suzy" called personally AND emailed and answered my query.

A revision to the manual back in April clarifies that. Apollo should be aware of the change. I know they watch the forum, so I draw their attention to Information Bulletin #496-080410 Onzen User Guide Update. If your spa and manual predate that change, I hope you will forgive us. We fixed it as soon as we recognized the problem.

End result however is glorious, sparkling clear water that makes your skin feel better. And hopefully, next to no maintenance. All my wife's organic-granola friends approve of it too.

That's sure nice to hear. It's working as it should...

Waiting to see the first month's power bill.... <_<

Onzen uses about as much power as a 40W bulb, according to our electronics engineer. Check the next issue of our newsletter.

And I agree with the poster above. I can see the graphics on the control panel date as I soak. I wish they were just a panel.

Geez, here I thought the new panel overlay was bright and colorful by comparison to last year's. I'm crushed. :P

The parts manager says there is no alternative overlay at the moment. Your comments will be passed on to our Marketing Department.

Marketing says the design is part of the topside, not an overlay. Their focus tests suggested that the new design was quite popular. Guess it's a matter of taste, and as the Romans used to say, "De gustibus non est disputandum" ("There is no point in arguing over a matter of taste") ^_^

Blame it on me not reading the manual properly, but it is a bit confusing.

Please PM me with the part you found confusing. We can make improvements on the next printing.

Basically I just think that in the Onzen User Guide Start Up page 3, Step 3 should include simple instructions, with graphic (wavy lines button) on how you actually start a Filtration Cycle. It should also recommend how long after starting cycle you should test for pH. It should also note that low calcium is normal in Onzen and explain what to do about that (I still don't know).

Basically I just think that in the Onzen User Guide Start Up page 3, Step 3 should include simple instructions, with graphic (wavy lines button) on how you actually start a Filtration Cycle. It should also recommend how long after starting cycle you should test for pH. It should also note that low calcium is normal in Onzen and explain what to do about that (I still don't know).

Thank you, I see what you mean - the Onzen guide should either refer to the owner manual or incorporate those sections of the owner manual for convenience. I"ve passed your suggestion on.

For your other question, if your dealer cannot help then please call the Onzen support line between 08:00 and 16:30 MDT, or email the support center 24/7 (phone number and email address are on page 6 in your Onzen manual).

Thank you, I see what you mean - the Onzen guide should either refer to the owner manual or incorporate those sections of the owner manual for convenience. I"ve passed your suggestion on.

For your other question, if your dealer cannot help then please call the Onzen support line between 08:00 and 16:30 MDT, or email the support center 24/7 (phone number and email address are on page 6 in your Onzen manual).

My update on my Spa and Arctic service:

Most people fret that they'll get a spa and never use it. I have used mine almost every night since I got it. Part of that frequency is its situation right off the deck. It's easy to get to. The other part is that I am using it for therapy on a wrecked back. The water quality in Onzen is just incredible. I love the ceynote/gin clarity as well as the way it makes my skin feel afterwards. As to Arctic, you can probably tell from his posts here that Tom is a pretty good indicator of how seriously the company takes its customers.

Every question I've had has been answered immediately - they even sent me the "missing" digital water tester. If you're on the fence about an Arctic spa, I would say go ahead and jump in. Best purchase I've made in years.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hear about your issues Chris. I am not an Arctic owner, but did consider them while doing my recent search. In Arctic's defense, I'm sure every manufacturer has lemons out there, however, I would have expected them to properly take care of your issues. Them blocking your emails and essentially turning their back on you is a huge black eye for them. Makes me even more comfortable that I made the right choice.

Hopefully the VP that you have contacted will step-in and you will be taken care of.

I firmly believe a picture is worth 1000 words, and would suggest you post pictures of your warranty card and your problems....let people on here know what you, as an Arctic owner, are going through, and what they could possibly expect as well.

I'm going to follow this thread...please let us know how this turns out.

Sorry to hear about your issues Chris. I am not an Arctic owner, but did consider them while doing my recent search. In Arctic's defense, I'm sure every manufacturer has lemons out there, however, I would have expected them to properly take care of your issues. Them blocking your emails and essentially turning their back on you is a huge black eye for them. Makes me even more comfortable that I made the right choice.

Hopefully the VP that you have contacted will step-in and you will be taken care of.

I firmly believe a picture is worth 1000 words, and would suggest you post pictures of your warranty card and your problems....let people on here know what you, as an Arctic owner, are going through, and what they could possibly expect as well.

I'm going to follow this thread...please let us know how this turns out.

I had my Arctic Tundra since mid April of this year. So far it has been nothing but fantastic! The only reason I'm writing this is because not everyone has "bad luck" with their Arctic. I'm not affiliated with Arctic in any way except that I bought one.....Boy I hope I'm not "jinksing" myself.

Hi, I purchased a Tundra Extreme form a local dealer in October of 2005. I have had nothing but problems with this spa from day one.

Arctic Spas responds:

There have been some issues with materials reacting to chemicals not approved by Blue Falls Manufacturing, makers of Arctic Spas. We are looking into the effect that different chemicals may have on the plastics used in spa products. For example, we are aware that hydrogen peroxide based products are hard on plastics, and many manufacturers refuse to warranty damage from the use of these products. We will soon follow suit.

By no means are we putting anyone "on the back burner" but we are trying to diagnose conditions and find solutions.

Unfortunately, we don't recognize the name Chris Golf as an end user. Anonymous posts on a forum do little to advance our goals of helping our customers.

Hi, I purchased a Tundra Extreme form a local dealer in October of 2005. I have had nothing but problems with this spa from day one.

Arctic Spas responds:

There have been some issues with materials reacting to chemicals not approved by Blue Falls Manufacturing, makers of Arctic Spas. We are looking into the effect that different chemicals may have on the plastics used in spa products. For example, we are aware that hydrogen peroxide based products are hard on plastics, and many manufacturers refuse to warranty damage from the use of these products. We will soon follow suit.

By no means are we putting anyone "on the back burner" but we are trying to diagnose conditions and find solutions.

Unfortunately, we don't recognize the name Chris Golf as an end user. Anonymous posts on a forum do little to advance our goals of helping our customers.

Hmmmm....Paradise Bay in Calgary very proudly endorses the use of Peroxysan.....better let them know....

Arctic Spas responds:

Tom, I am willing to bet that Arctic has Chris' real name and information on file somewhere (or should have!), and that he is clearly not using this forum as his only medium of communication with Arctic.

Rather than coming up with yet another deflection of responsibility, it would be wise, in this consumer's opinion, to do whatever it takes to address Chris' issues.

From my perspective, this could have very easily been me, or any other customer who bought your product, spending a significant amount of money expecting to get a quality item with reliable support. It appears that Chris has done everything expected of a consumer, (and yes - used the chemicals suggested by his dealer), and for some reason is being completely ignored by Arctic.

I have seen similar posts on this forum from others who have had similar issues with other manufacturers. For example, a fellow had some major issues with a D1 tub. The fellow posted on here and received a response from a D1 rep who immediately worked with him to address his issues. The original poster was eventually so satisfied that he made sure to update his post and give credit to D1 and the rep who helped him. This thread can be found here: http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19179

I know I don't mean squat to you, but I will tell you that a big factor in me NOT buying an Arctic spa was some of the comments I read online. On the other hand, I was very close to buying a D1 model for the very same reason. I have seen similar posts involving HS who also is very customer-focused.

It would be wise of Arctic, instead of trying to cover its ass with excuses, to aggressively pursue this customer's complaint and make him satisfied. Who is the Arctic warranty actually protecting - the customer or the manufacturer?

This post contained a personal attack and has been removed.

Any further occurrence will result in removal of this member's ability to post.

I would like to know what personal attack I posted, that is too funny!!!! Do not remember a personal attack, maybe me talking about all the problems about my spa was a personal attack to Blue Falls Mfg. co. because they won't address the issue..

Oh, I get it now, I posted the name of the person who is Vice President of Sales of Blue Falls Mfg. and let everyone know in this forum about how he has not returned 4 phone calls and 4 e-mails in 2 weeks. I also named the guy in the Warranty Dept. of Blue Falls Mfg. and told everyone in this forum about his lack of response after 2 weeks of phone calls and e-mails. So, If I posted something that is true it is a personal attack. Someone tell me how to post pictures and my warranty card with 22 warranty issues on it and you will see that I am telling the truth, OH??? That may be a personal attack, that's O.K., If I am not cursing and just being sarcastic and telling the truth whatever, I will just keep on posting in the other forums who want to get to the truth. Who's running this board Arctic Spa's????

Amen brother. You nailed it right on! This has been my experience with Arctic Spa, Blue Falls and I couldn't agree more!

Tom, I am willing to bet that Arctic has Chris' real name and information on file somewhere (or should have!), and that he is clearly not using this forum as his only medium of communication with Arctic.

That's probably true. I am no longer an official corporate representative and am out of that loop. His posts clearly show that he has been in contact with people at head office and is frustrated by what he perceives as a lack of response.

It would be wise of Arctic, instead of trying to cover its ass with excuses, to aggressively pursue this customer's complaint and make him satisfied.

Of course it would. I have no way of knowing if this is an issue with the dealer, a supply issue, or what, and I can no longer intervene. All I can do is pass the posts up the line, and post any official response. Obviously, I'm feeling frustrated by my inability to offer any help.

I won't be able to check the forum again until later this week, so please don't take my absence as unwillingness to respond.