Help - Leak Maybe? Advice

xoroniox

Ok i have a 28x14 inground diamondbrite pool from my calculations 13,000gallons, the problem i have recently noticed is the water level dropping about 2-3 inches per 24hours while the filter is on, when it is off maybe 1inch of drop in water level in 24hours, i cannot see any leaking plumbing around the filter or any exposed pvc plumbing, nor can i see any water or wet spots around the pool. i need any help or advice, how to go about finding the leak? is it something a do-it-yourself home owner can repair and anything else which can help me in this situation. Thanks in advance

one other thing i have noticed while the water level is below the skimmer and the barracuda is off, the water level is good which leads me to believe the leak is somewhere between the skimmer pvc to the filter, but how do i confirm this? and does this make sense to people with experiance in this type of situation. Thanks

It sounds like a leak in your return line. The line needs to be pressure tested. It is possible to build your own tester, but unlikely you'll be able to find the leak. I use an underground listening device and air tank to locate leaks. This is the best method as it requires the least destruction as the leak can be found within a few feet. Then you can choose to do the repair yourself or hire someone. Leak detaction varies from 225-325 depending on the service. Check your yellow pagesunder pool companies or leak detaction.

if no cracks are visible, the leak should be in a line entering or exiting the pool ...

1. get some red or grape food dye in a squirt bottle & swim goggles,

2. fill the pool to create more pressure

3. squirt some at the inlet & outlets ...

... you will see which inlet or outlet sucks your dye .... dig the line up & cut out & replace the broken/cracked line

best wishes

if no cracks are visible, the leak should be in a line entering or exiting the pool ...

1. get some red or grape food dye in a squirt bottle & swim goggles,

2. fill the pool to create more pressure

3. squirt some at the inlet & outlets ...

... you will see which inlet or outlet sucks your dye .... dig the line up & cut out & replace the broken/cracked line best wishes

yes i agree its most likely the plumbing and i also think its probably the suction side skimmer plumbing because when the pool was full and the skimmer was on i lost 2" over night and when the skimmer was off i lost 1/3". but i am not really how sure to test to find the location of the leak, i have red food dye and ill get in the pool with it to try to test the outlets ill also fill up the pool for the tests , should the filter system be on or off during when i test outlets? also wouldnt a suction outlet suck the dye no matter if there was a leak or not? Thanks for your help

It sounds like a leak in your return line. The line needs to be pressure tested. It is possible to build your own tester, but unlikely you'll be able to find the leak. I use an underground listening device and air tank to locate leaks. This is the best method as it requires the least destruction as the leak can be found within a few feet. Then you can choose to do the repair yourself or hire someone. Leak detaction varies from 225-325 depending on the service. Check your yellow pagesunder pool companies or leak detaction.

wow thanks for the detailed advice, i would love to be able to test and repair this leak myself if possible i am a very handy guy however this month has been a bad month money wise for me and i called a local pool company they quoted me $300 to find the leak and cannot give me a price to repair because it depend on the damage. can you give me any other advice which might benefit me in this situation, also if you pressure test the lines, do you test each one individually? i will do more research on pressure testing plumbing. Thanks again