Wather Level

wilfried

In about 2 months the water level of my spa lost about one inch (2cm)

Is this normal ?

You will lose some water due to evaporation. How much depends on how often you have the cover open. From what your describing one inch isnt much for two months.

Even so it is a good idea to open the door to the equipment compartment once in a while and check for moisture. You can get unions or shaft seals that can leak and if you catch them early it can save you from making a major repair later on down the road. Good Luck

My dealer said that , even the cover is closed, youu'll can lose a lot of water by condensation of the underside of the cover.

What is the opinion for this statement of everybody who use a spa ?

There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding evaporation and condensation. If the cover is opened, then indeed a very small, not a "lot", of water that had condensed under the cover will run off. If the cover is open, evaporation of water will take place as the evaporative moisture is release to the atmosphere. Otherwise, condensation is not the issue....evaporation is.

Back to your statement, wilfried, that even when the cover is CLOSED, water will be lost by condensation? Absolutely not. If your cover remains closed and you are losing a LOT of water, you better start looking for leaks.

I've two comments:

FIRST: what you described doesn't seem abnormal. I use my spa 3-4 times a week, and lose an inch of water every week or two. If you don't use your spa, your water lose should be less, but it still may be noticable (say, an inch a month). I typically will add water when it drops about two inches, say every three weeks.

SECOND: I doubt if you heard your dealer correctly, or maybe it was the way you posed the question. As you stated it above, I'd say your dealer didn't know what he was talking about or was BSing you for some reason. Since what you described here is normal, must assume there was a mis-communication.

Here's why: the moisture that condenses on the bottom of the cover runs down/drips off back into the spa, hence NO WATER LOSS! There will be some water loss, of course, but it will be because you cover isn't 100% tight, and some humid air escapes, and perhaps a little condensation drips out at the seam, but this should be very little.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding evaporation and condensation. If the cover is opened, then indeed a very small, not a "lot", of water that had condensed under the cover will run off. If the cover is open, evaporation of water will take place as the evaporative moisture is release to the atmosphere. Otherwise, condensation is not the issue....evaporation is.

Back to your statement, wilfried, that even when the cover is CLOSED, water will be lost by condensation? Absolutely not. If your cover remains closed and you are losing a LOT of water, you better start looking for leaks.

If you open the cover often than the condensation will be lost more often hence more water missing. If the cover is on all the time than it sounds like a leak like windsurf said

My dealer said that , even the cover is closed, youu'll can lose a lot of water by condensation of the underside of the cover.

What is the opinion for this statement of everybody who use a spa ?

Most spa covers are tapered so you can get condensation that runs across the bottom of the cover to the outside edge of the cover then drip down off the spa skirt but even if this happens it is usually not much of a loss of water. If you have a spa that the cover doesnt fit well you could lose quite a bit from evaporation.