Costco Infinity Sun Peak Spa

mcpetran

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First why do you insist on calling them Costco tubs...Costco doesn't make tubs...they sell other brands of tubs. And I never said my friend's issue negates anything but merely stated that when people call make a complaint with the BBB it doesn't mean its a legitimate complaint.

Makes you wonder what type of people we are dealing with here. If they purchased a tub through Costco why complain to the BBB when you can return the tub. Thats exactly what I would do...if I were having a problem with my tub and not getting any satisfaction from the manufacturer, especially if it were still under warranty.

The BBB doesnt give you enough information on issues to make a sound decision on their stats....IMO.

1) When people make a complaint that gets registered with the BBB it IS a legitimate complaint. They investigate every complaint. I know, I recently tried to file a complaint against a company for false advertising (the company made up fictional research in support of its claims). The BBB rejected my complaint, as they decided I wasn't a "customer" of that business, so they deleted the complaint. They only investigate complaints from actual customers who have documentation of their purchases and the problems involved. I honestly wish they were less stringent in their guidelines, so complaints like mine could be addressed. Anyway, unlike epinions, ripoffreport, or other sites, you can be certain that every complaint on the BBB site is valid.

2) I know Costco doesn't make tubs. I call them Costco tubs because most of them are basically the same - poorly insulated, badly engineered and manufactured (in many people's professional opinions) and not backed up with any customer support.

3) If I wanted a Costco tub, and I either didn't want or couldn't afford one of the national brands, I'd have to take several steps. First, I'd first have to put down a base - in my case, a concrete slab (several hundred bucks). Then, I'd have to hire an electrician to run wiring for me (110V or 220V, but several hundred dollars). Then, I might have to pay the delivery drivers to move the spa into place for me. Either way, I'll have invested a lot of money before I take my first soak. If I'm unhappy with the tub, I don't want my money back, I want to get my tub fixed! If they won't help me, I'll go to anyone else who might help me fix the problem, including the BBB. Why would I return it to Costco - sure, I'd get my money back, but then I'd have NO TUB!! What am I supposed to do with an empty patio???

4) As to my oft-repeated BBB ratings. Hopefully, this will be the last time I have to post this (and there was much rejoicing). The following list contains most of the brands I've looked at, and their complaints within the last 36 months & the last 12 months:

Company 36 mos 12 mos

Arctic 0 / 0

Artesian 0 / 0

Bullfrog 2 / 1

Marquis 3 / 1

D1 4 / 3

Watkins 10 / 3

Master 24 / 10

Jacuzzi / Sundance 31 / n/a

Hydro Spas 37 / 27

Cal Spas 84 / n/a

Thermospas 129 / 60*

Infinity 4 4*

The two asterisks at the bottom are the two companies that have Unsatisfactory ratings with the BBB. So, Infinity has only had 4 complaints, but they've ignored the complaints they've had. The "n/a" for some companies indicates that some branches of the BBB only keep 36 month figures, and not 12 month figures. And keep in mind that I don't have actual production numbers to go with it.

Do you notice the break there, between Watkins and Master? Do you see how the brands that most people refer to as "premium" are at the top of the list, with few (if any) complaints? And that the brands that are usually referred to as "junk" are towards the bottom of the list? Do you really think there's no correlation here at all?

What a load of------

You don't even own a Costco tub so why are you always badmouthing there spas.You have no knowledge nor experience yet you post these posts of your expert opinion all the time.

Please tell me what solid and not I heard facts to back up your remarks that Costco spas are all badly engineered and manufactured. Please not 3 or 4 people saying they have had small problems like the jets break or problems with the initial install.

I don't get it you say you would have to put down a base,then pay to have the electrical done and then the delivery?You would have to do this with any spa so whats your point or are you stressing to anyone considering going this route that in D.P.s "EXPERT" opinion they will have nothing but misery?

The Infinity spa on B.B.B. is not the Infinity that costco is selling yet it only received 4 calls and all were rectified and you call this a bad rating and again I stress this is not the Costco Infinity SunPeak 2007 spa.

Also anyone that goes by B.B.B. reports reads too much.

You seem to have a lot to say about everything based only on I read or I heard.You cant install your spa yourself.You cant run the electric to your spa and so you rely on a dealer and other people to do this for you.

Then you say If I wanted a Costco tub, and I either didn't want or couldn't afford one of the national brands.You couldnt thats why you bought a used tub.

I,m not siding with anyone.I do not work for Costco and I do not own one of there spas but I find no reason to badmouth there spas.I would trust Costco for customer support far more than any small dealer out there and as far as I know Infinity has made every effort to correct any problems that customers have.They have a big account with Costco and do not want to loose it.I know from personal experience that Costco treats there members like Gold.

So please back up these claims before I too make the mistake and purchase a Costco spa.

What a load of------

You don't even own a Costco tub so why are you always badmouthing there spas.You have no knowledge nor experience yet you post these posts of your expert opinion all the time.

Please tell me what solid and not I heard facts to back up your remarks that Costco spas are all badly engineered and manufactured. Please not 3 or 4 people saying they have had small problems like the jets break or problems with the initial install.

I don't get it you say you would have to put down a base,then pay to have the electrical done and then the delivery?You would have to do this with any spa so whats your point or are you stressing to anyone considering going this route that in D.P.s "EXPERT" opinion they will have nothing but misery?

The Infinity spa on B.B.B. is not the Infinity that costco is selling yet it only received 4 calls and all were rectified and you call this a bad rating and again I stress this is not the Costco Infinity SunPeak 2007 spa.

Also anyone that goes by B.B.B. reports reads too much.

You seem to have a lot to say about everything based only on I read or I heard.You cant install your spa yourself.You cant run the electric to your spa and so you rely on a dealer and other people to do this for you.

Then you say If I wanted a Costco tub, and I either didn't want or couldn't afford one of the national brands.You couldnt thats why you bought a used tub.

I,m not siding with anyone.I do not work for Costco and I do not own one of there spas but I find no reason to badmouth there spas.I would trust Costco for customer support far more than any small dealer out there and as far as I know Infinity has made every effort to correct any problems that customers have.They have a big account with Costco and do not want to loose it.I know from personal experience that Costco treats there members like Gold.

So please back up these claims before I too make the mistake and purchase a Costco spa.

Okay, here we go again.

1. No, I don't own a Costco tub. I don't even know anyone who does. I'm not a dealer, and I don't know any. My only reason for posting ANYTHING about Costco tubs is to warn other people that buying a tub from them is probably a mistake.

2. As to the "solid evidence" you keep clamoring for: I am not, and have never claimed to be, a spa expert. You'll notice that when I said they were badly engineered, my EXACT QUOTE was "in many people's professional opinions." Read enough posts on forums like these, and you figure out who the experts are, and who knows nothing. Many people, on this forum and others, are independent repairmen who fix spas for a living, and who have done so for many years. I would call them experts. They say that Costco spas are crap.

3. I may be wrong about Infinity. Check the BBB for yourself. Costco's web site says to check out Infinity's web site at infinity.net. I went there, and found them to be located in Johnson City, Tennessee. So, I looked for a BBB record for Infinity Spas in Johnson City, TN. The record I found stated 4 complaints, but one of them had gone completely unanswered by Infinity, which earned them an Unsatisfactory rating. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

4. I apologize for the confusion regarding the spa "I" purchased from Costco. It was a hypothetical situation (you can tell this because I started with the phrase "If I wanted a Costco spa..."). The point was, let's say you decide that the Costco Infinity Sun Peak spa is the only one for you. So, you pour a concrete pad, run the electrical work, and generally get things ready for a spa. You buy one, and it turns out to suck. Well, you decide to return it to Costco. Great, Costco gives you a refund. Now, you have an empty patio with useless electrical wiring running to it. You spent all that time and/or money in costs ASSOCIATED with getting a spa from Costco, and those costs aren't refundable. So, maybe buying a spa that's LESS LIKELY TO BREAK, or MORE LIKELY TO HAVE DEALER SUPPORT IF IT DOES BREAK is more important than being able to get a refund. Capiche?

Exactly no backup just I read,I heard,he said............Your opinion which is worth O

You should work for a dealer as a commission salesman.No knowledge other than what is read out of a brochure or I heard and great no backup scare tactics as to why you should buy the dealers tub.

D.P. you are a research junkie.

Buy some tools and do some actual hands on.Get some real life experience.Dont just read read and believe all the (in my proffesional opinion) from the so called profesionals out there.Sort through what the dealers and there service guys say as they are on one side only.

2) I know Costco doesn't make tubs. I call them Costco tubs because most of them are basically the same - poorly insulated, badly engineered and manufactured (in many people's professional opinions) and not backed up with any customer support.

Polly want a cracker? All you are doing is repeating what your forum buddies comment about in regards to these tubs.

3) If I wanted a Costco tub, and I either didn't want or couldn't afford one of the national brands, I'd have to take several steps. First, I'd first have to put down a base - in my case, a concrete slab (several hundred bucks). Then, I'd have to hire an electrician to run wiring for me (110V or 220V, but several hundred dollars). Then, I might have to pay the delivery drivers to move the spa into place for me. Either way, I'll have invested a lot of money before I take my first soak. If I'm unhappy with the tub, I don't want my money back, I want to get my tub fixed! If they won't help me, I'll go to anyone else who might help me fix the problem, including the BBB. Why would I return it to Costco - sure, I'd get my money back, but then I'd have NO TUB!! What am I supposed to do with an empty patio???

If you are unhappy with your tub...unhappy, where in the warranty does it state anything about being unhappy? I just find it funny that someone who isnt in the industry and does own one spends so much time talking crap about something they neither own or know anything about other than repeating what they have heard or read and then argue the point with people who do own one.

Do you notice the break there, between Watkins and Master? Do you see how the brands that most people refer to as "premium" are at the top of the list, with few (if any) complaints? And that the brands that are usually referred to as "junk" are towards the bottom of the list? Do you really think there's no correlation here at all?

Did you ever stop and think maybe there are more complaints because the people who did go this route do not have a dealer to complain to, probably know very little about hot tubs and instead of learning they would rather go the easy route and just complain??? Maybe the fact there is a dealer in there to help keeps those other companies from complaining and offers good support. Like I said trying to throw dealer support on a costco tub is insane, we all should know there is no "dealer" support...but I have had a great experience with their customer service. I find it funny that you would even try to file a complaint against a company for false advertising...but you hadn't even bought their product. Do you ever leave the house?

Please tell me what solid and not I heard facts to back up your remarks that Costco spas are all badly engineered and manufactured. .

I told everyone here I have worked on several Hydrospa tubs (the same company that manufactures The Platinum Delete) I have found them to be of low quality just like the price, low. But yet this means nothing to those that have already purchased or are purchasing. Seems we are at an loss with most here who think these tubs are something different. Wouldn't matter if we backed it up with facts or not. The fact is they are inexpensive for a reason, they are not as high a quality as the top brands, which have dealer mark up in there price also to make them more expensive. But if you want an inexpensive tub with a return policy they are a good choice.

This is what we have been saying all along and yet get accused of bashing Costco tubs. Kinda funny really when all the Costco backers are doing is bashing the name brands. "It's as good as a 10,000 dollar tub" This is how it all started yet not one fact has arisen from this as to why "all the components look the same", this coming from a guy who has owned his tub for a year. We are expected to supply facts and not our experience as proffesionals for many years working on hot tubs. And those who have no experience are not expected to supply nothing but lip service........Ya gota love it.

I told everyone here I have worked on several Hydrospa tubs (the same company that manufactures The Platinum Delete) I have found them to be of low quality just like the price, low. But yet this means nothing to those that have already purchased or are purchasing. Seems we are at an loss with most here who think these tubs are something different. Wouldn't matter if we backed it up with facts or not. The fact is they are inexpensive for a reason, they are not as high a quality as the top brands, which have dealer mark up in there price also to make them more expensive. But if you want an inexpensive tub with a return policy they are a good choice.

This is what we have been saying all along and yet get accused of bashing Costco tubs. Kinda funny really when all the Costco backers are doing is bashing the name brands. "It's as good as a 10,000 dollar tub" This is how it all started yet not one fact has arisen from this as to why "all the components look the same", this coming from a guy who has owned his tub for a year. We are expected to supply facts and not our experience as proffesionals for many years working on hot tubs. And those who have no experience are not expected to supply nothing but lip service........Ya gota love it.

Hot tubs are like spouses.

1) In both cases people may think they all have the same parts but sometimes that is by definition only. Quality of parts certainly may vary even if they come from the same maker and may not all hold up equally!!

2) In both cases people think they all cost about the same to operate but some cost much more than others and at some point you have to decide whether it's smarter to keep funding them or pull the plug.

3) In both cases they all may look great initially but over time some can be a maintenance nightmare once the shine is off them.

4) In both cases some people really take their time and find the right match and they age gracefully together.

Fortunately I took my time and so far so good. I did meet her at Costco coincidentally so if things go south in our marriage I'm wondering if their generous return policy would be applicable.

I don't think anyone has bashed those so called premium tubs as you have stated. I actually think my message has and will continue to be you can buy a tub through other means and not just a dealer and still get a good deal. I personally dont know enough about the components of any of the tubs to state one is better than the other. What I have done is give my experience of owning this tub...never stated I worked on one...never stated my Platinum is better than X...never bashed any other tub. If so please find that post for me! I think my bashing was more on the so called commission/markup of going through a dealer. I personally dont see any benifit of having a dealer backed tub versus the one I have. I guess if you feel the dealer is your only source of information go for it but there are many other resources for this.

As far as supplying facts and not our experience.....? I am not a professional in the hot tub industry so not sure where you are going with that.

I personally dont see any benifit of having a dealer backed tub versus the one I have.

You never see the benefit of having a dealer backed spa until you get to the point where something happens and you wish you had a dealer backed product. Hopefully you won't be in this kind of situation but here are 4 examples lately from people on this site who wish they had a dealer backed spa.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=9376&hl=

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7487&hl=

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...c=1117&st=0

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7415&hl=

You seem to have a pretty reasonable understanding of what you got when you bought your spa. It is what it is, at best a middle of the road spa IMO sold at a bargain price that comes without dealer support and service. If you get lucky and it holds up reasonably well over the next 6 or 7 years you may be happy with your choice. If you run into issues like these people did shortly after ownership you’ll probably wish you had a dealer. As long as you go in with your eyes wide open its your chance to take at your understood risk.

4 complaints.Wow.

Do you realize how many spas they sell per week.You are a professional spa tech.Wow really hard 1 or 2 motors,couple of sensors,1 circuit board,1 display panel and plastic fitting and hoses.You should work on what I work on.

That's not 4 people out of all the people who buy from Costco. That's 4 posters on this site so you would compare that to the number of people on this site owning that spa so four forum posters returning/looking to return their spa does seem a bit high based on the number of owners on this site. Its the chance you take sometimes and those are the ones I remember on this site and it's not like I've been taking notes.

I think the actual problems were only part of the reason for the return. They undoubtedly were not confident in how well the spa would hold up later down the line after seeing the initial problems as well as frustrated with the lack of support in getting resolution so they opted to just cut the cord.

You never see the benefit of having a dealer backed spa until you get to the point where something happens and you wish you had a dealer backed product. Hopefully you won't be in this kind of situation but here are 4 examples lately from people on this site who wish they had a dealer backed spa.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=9376&hl=

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7487&hl=

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...c=1117&st=0

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...ic=7415&hl=

You seem to have a pretty reasonable understanding of what you got when you bought your spa. It is what it is, at best a middle of the road spa IMO sold at a bargain price that comes without dealer support and service. If you get lucky and it holds up reasonably well over the next 6 or 7 years you may be happy with your choice. If you run into issues like these people did shortly after ownership you’ll probably wish you had a dealer. As long as you go in with your eyes wide open its your chance to take at your understood risk.

Since I am at work I dont have the time to chase them down but are there not similar post of people who bought their tub through a dealer and they received no satisfaction? I have read stories where people have received used/floor model when they actually felt they were getting a new tub or had leaks or similar issues as the ones you posted links to.

Granted there are going to be issues with tubs purchased both ways but when its a tub bought through costco/big box its a POS. If its through a dealer its ok because they have a dealer to fall back on? As a consumer that gives me little pleasure or satisfaction.

Since I am at work I dont have the time to chase them down but are there not similar post of people who bought their tub through a dealer and they received no satisfaction? I have read stories where people have received used/floor model when they actually felt they were getting a new tub or had leaks or similar issues as the ones you posted links to.

Granted there are going to be issues with tubs purchased both ways but when its a tub bought through costco/big box its a POS. If its through a dealer its ok because they have a dealer to fall back on? As a consumer that gives me little pleasure or satisfaction.

Sure, it really is about the rate and degree of occurance.

4 complaints.Wow.

Do you realize how many spas they sell per week.You are a professional spa tech.Wow really hard 1 or 2 motors,couple of sensors,1 circuit board,1 display panel and plastic fitting and hoses.You should work on what I work on.

Ummmmm....the company I work for builds nuclear power plants, oil refinerys, paper machines, 16 million BTU boilers, taconite proccessing plants and the like. I do this as a side line that keeps me way to busy fixing broken Hydrospa's!!!

Ummmmm....the company I work for builds nuclear power plants, oil refinerys, paper machines, 16 million BTU boilers, taconite proccessing plants and the like. I do this as a side line that keeps me way to busy fixing broken Hydrospa's!!!

Doesn't Homer Simpson work @ nuclear power plant? :)

Would you let Homer work on your spa??