Paramount Pcc2000 In-ground Pool Cleaner

We are planning a new inground pool and will become first time pool owners. Our pool contractor has suggested a Paramount PCC 2000 for cleaning our 13 by 26 foot pool with spa.

Can anyone offer information or advice regarding this cleaning system - pros and cons?

I have also been reading several favorable reviews of the Polaris brand cleaners and am wondering if this would be a better alternative? Or - my understnading so far is that the Polaris 360 works off the return line of the pool. So - if this is true, could a Polaris be purchased at some time in the future, if the PCC2000 did not prove adequate?

My major concern is to "build-in" what needs to be and not regret a poor decision that can't be changed in the future. And, in case it isn't obvious, I know very little about pool ownership and maintanance so any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

FloridaBound

We are planning a new inground pool and will become first time pool owners. Our pool contractor has suggested a Paramount PCC 2000 for cleaning our 13 by 26 foot pool with spa.

Can anyone offer information or advice regarding this cleaning system - pros and cons?

I have also been reading several favorable reviews of the Polaris brand cleaners and am wondering if this would be a better alternative? Or - my understnading so far is that the Polaris 360 works off the return line of the pool. So - if this is true, could a Polaris be purchased at some time in the future, if the PCC2000 did not prove adequate?

My major concern is to "build-in" what needs to be and not regret a poor decision that can't be changed in the future. And, in case it isn't obvious, I know very little about pool ownership and maintanance so any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

FloridaBound

I myself am not a big fan of infloor cleaning systems. In our area of the southwest desert they dont do a very good jor of removing the sand that we get that blows around. In other areas they may work better.

I do sell some of the polaris pool cleaners and the one that i use is the Polaris ATV. I like this cleaner because it is a suction side cleaner which connects up to the skimmer or on most new pools a dedicated vacuum line. With this type of setup when your pool is circulating and filtering the cleaner is running around vacuuming.

One of the other things to consider is price difference. I sell the Polaris ATV for $469.00. The Polaris 360 needs a dedicated pressure pump so if you want one of those then you need to have that built in when you have the pool built.

Ask your pool contractor for some refferences and go out and talk to some of the people that have the system that he is selling you to see how they like it. Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

FloridaBound

We sell them and I can honestly say that they are probably the worst piece of equipment you could put on a pool. It's a never ending saga of complaints about how it does not work, and they are right. It does not clean a pool well at all. They will tell you that it's 99% effective. What they leave out is that it's not 99% of the floor area, it's 99% of the entire area of the pool, a 3 dimentional measurement. a 20 x 40 has a floor area of roughly 800 square feet. leading one to believe that this system will clean all but 8 square feet of the pool. NOT!!! in their eyes, the area of the pool is 3 dimentional, so a 20 40 with an average 6' depth is really 4800 square feet!! so now take some debris, cover 48 square feet of your pool with it, and then spread it around.....result: a dirty pool.

Infloor cleaning is very good at distributing heat and chemicals, reducing filter run times. However, for a lot less money, you could install floor returns that are dedicated heat returns and don't have to try to clean the floor and don't require a control head near the pool like the paramount system. you could add a polaris dust and vac (puts infloor cleaning heads in just the steps and swimouts and uses a pressure side 3 wheel rolling head to clean the rest) you could probably buy these two systems (infloor heat and dust/vac) for less than the paramount. you will get 100% of the benefits and then some.

Nothing beats a polaris in my book. they clean 100% of the floor and have been around forever and everyone can service them.

If you go with infloor cleaning, be sure to at least have them plumb in a dummy line for a pressure side cleaner. it will leave your options open.

Thanks!

FloridaBound

In floor cleaners, if properly designed and installed for your pool do work very well but with a price. They require a larger pump because of the increased pressure or "head" they create in the system and the popup systems ususally have a manifold assembly that really plays havoc with the pressure in your plumbing system every time it changes outputs. You can actually follow this by watching the filter pressure gauge on a system that has an in floor cleaner.

If you are considering adding a pressure side cleaner they do work well with in floor cleaning systems but I would recommend having a dedicated pressure line and booster pump installed when the pool is built and going with the polaris 280 or 380 instead of the 360.

As an alternative you might want to forgo both the in floor and the pressure side cleaner and just get a robotic cleaner. It will cost you less than the in floor and pressure side, do a better job, and be easier to maintain. The biggest drawback is that you have to put it in the pool and turn it on! :lol:

I do sell some of the polaris pool cleaners and the one that i use is the Polaris ATV. I like this cleaner because it is a suction side cleaner which connects up to the skimmer or on most new pools a dedicated vacuum line. With this type of setup when your pool is circulating and filtering the cleaner is running around vacuuming.

One of the other things to consider is price difference. I sell the Polaris ATV for $469.00. The Polaris 360 needs a dedicated pressure pump so if you want one of those then you need to have that built in when you have the pool built.

Actually the 360 is the only 3 wheeled Polaris pressure side unit that does NOT require a booster pump but runs off the returns. It is similar the the 380 which does require a booster pump.The ATV is a suction side cleaner. There are merits to both types of cleaners but if they are planning a new pool it is very easy to put in a dedecated pressure side line since the pressure side, booster pump driven cleaners have many advantages over both non booster pressure models and suction side models.

And finally, it is NOT necessary to have the booster pump built in when you build the pool. They can be retrofitted into many existing installations! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what happened to my last reply but -

Thanks to everyone who responded with thoughts and advice regarding the Paramount system and also the ideas about the Polaris models! We've decided to go with the Paramount so wish us a happy experience - we'll back it up with one of the the Polaris models int he future if need be.

Actually the 360 is the only 3 wheeled Polaris pressure side unit that does NOT require a booster pump but runs off the returns. It is similar the the 380 which does require a booster pump.The ATV is a suction side cleaner. There are merits to both types of cleaners but if they are planning a new pool it is very easy to put in a dedecated pressure side line since the pressure side, booster pump driven cleaners have many advantages over both non booster pressure models and suction side models.

And finally, it is NOT necessary to have the booster pump built in when you build the pool. They can be retrofitted into many existing installations! :rolleyes:

Let me rephrase that then. You can install a polaris system with a booster pump after your pool is built if you dont mind cutting up your deck and drilling holes in the pool wall to install the pressure connections and trenching through your yard to run the lines. And it is just as easy to install a dedicated vacuum linewhile the pool is being built.

Let me rephrase that then. You can install a polaris system with a booster pump after your pool is built if you dont mind cutting up your deck and drilling holes in the pool wall to install the pressure connections and trenching through your yard to run the lines. And it is just as easy to install a dedicated vacuum linewhile the pool is being built.

Pros and Cons of pressure vs. suction side cleaners (and robotics and in floor)

Suction side will put all the dirt into your filter and require it to be cleaned more often. They will clog your pump basket with large debris like leaves unless you also buy a leaf trap. If you only have suction thru your skimmer port and don't have a dedecated suction line you will not have surface skimming while the cleaner is hooked up.

They are the easiest to fit into a pool that is not fitted with a dedecated cleaner line and generally work very well. They generally cost less than pressure side cleaners.

Pressure side cleaners require a dedecated pressure side line and a booster pump which can be difficult, but not impossible, to retrofit into an existing pool. The ones that don'e require a booster pump do take up one of the returns and can cut down on the circulation in the pool. They cost more than suction side cleaners. Most of them need yearly tune up kits which can be expensive.

The generally do a better job than suction side cleaners and catch the debris in their own bags or chambers and do not overload your filter. They help to increase the circulation in the pool and the distribution of both heat and chemicals. They usually can handle large things like leaves and such better and it is possible to run them and sill have your skimmer fully operational.

IMHO, the best bet is a robotic cleaner. They really do the best job of all. biggest drawback is the price which is usually about double than pressure side cleaners.

In floor cleaning systems look good on paper and can work well if properly designed and installed for your pool but by nature they put a strain on the plumbing system of the pool with the wild and constant fluctuations in pressure as they operate. They are expensive and only available on new pool installations.

NON of these cleaning systems eliminates the need to brush your pool regularly!

• 1 year later...

Pros and Cons of pressure vs. suction side cleaners (and robotics and in floor)

Suction side will put all the dirt into your filter and require it to be cleaned more often. They will clog your pump basket with large debris like leaves unless you also buy a leaf trap. If you only have suction thru your skimmer port and don't have a dedecated suction line you will not have surface skimming while the cleaner is hooked up.

They are the easiest to fit into a pool that is not fitted with a dedecated cleaner line and generally work very well. They generally cost less than pressure side cleaners.

Pressure side cleaners require a dedecated pressure side line and a booster pump which can be difficult, but not impossible, to retrofit into an existing pool. The ones that don'e require a booster pump do take up one of the returns and can cut down on the circulation in the pool. They cost more than suction side cleaners. Most of them need yearly tune up kits which can be expensive.

The generally do a better job than suction side cleaners and catch the debris in their own bags or chambers and do not overload your filter. They help to increase the circulation in the pool and the distribution of both heat and chemicals. They usually can handle large things like leaves and such better and it is possible to run them and sill have your skimmer fully operational.

IMHO, the best bet is a robotic cleaner. They really do the best job of all. biggest drawback is the price which is usually about double than pressure side cleaners.

In floor cleaning systems look good on paper and can work well if properly designed and installed for your pool but by nature they put a strain on the plumbing system of the pool with the wild and constant fluctuations in pressure as they operate. They are expensive and only available on new pool installations.

NON of these cleaning systems eliminates the need to brush your pool regularly!

So do you have a recommendation on which pressure side vacuum works the best for the money? I don't have a separate line that I can hook up to a booster pump so was thinking the Polaris 360. My current suction side Polaris model doesn't work well at all and gets stuck all the time. Thoughts on the 360?

• 12 years later...
On 4/14/2006 at 5:41 AM, FloridaBound said:

I'm not sure what happened to my last reply but -

Thanks to everyone who responded with thoughts and advice regarding the Paramount system and also the ideas about the Polaris models! We've decided to go with the Paramount so wish us a happy experience - we'll back it up with one of the the Polaris models int he future if need be.

Its now 13 years later, how did the PCC 2000 work out for you?