Big Box Store Tubs May Be All Some People Can Afford

Saskman

I used to show this movie of this spa in the showroom to tell the full foam story to spa shoppers. It was pretty clear as a bell that full foam is not a good idea.

The only reason for full foam is to cut manufacturing costs. That is all.

I've seen thermaly closed spas frozen also, about a 50/50 mix here. Must be different in Colorado where it freezes slow.

I don't think Roger has seen a real thermally closed spa.

Anyway, this guy hires a "part time" service guy to go and fix his spa. After $1500 and the spa being dug out half way finding one leak after another, he finally decides to call a real professional.

The insurance gave him about $3K for his value on his full foam spa.

If you have a spa like this in cold climates, you need to get a "REPLACEMENT VALUE" insurance policy on it. Not just insurance on a used spa. As soon as most spa hit the deck, they are devalued by 30%.

A real thermally closed design does not allow any cold air to enter the warm air chamber. It gives you a long time until it freezes. Because the hot water vessel sitting in the middle of the cabinet, is just like having a huge "hot water bottle" sitting there keeping the pipes warm.

In a full foam spa the pipes in the equipment area are exposed to cold, so that is where they freeze first. Then they crack and break letting the water out, except that not all the water escapes and much of the "lower end' of the spa is ruined, anywhere there is solid fittings.

In a thermally closed design, even when they freeze after many days, they are 1/4 the cost to fix, because the plumbing is not hidden in foam. There is no digging and the leaks are obvious and easy to find.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Roger has seen a real thermally closed spa.

Anyway, this guy hires a "part time" service guy to go and fix his spa. After $1500 and the spa being dug out half way finding one leak after another, he finally decides to call a real professional.

The insurance gave him about $3K for his value on his full foam spa.

If you have a spa like this in cold climates, you need to get a "REPLACEMENT VALUE" insurance policy on it. Not just insurance on a used spa. As soon as most spa hit the deck, they are devalued by 30%.

A real thermally closed design does not allow any cold air to enter the warm air chamber. It gives you a long time until it freezes. Because the hot water vessel sitting in the middle of the cabinet, is just like having a huge "hot water bottle" sitting there keeping the pipes warm.

In a full foam spa the pipes in the equipment area are exposed to cold, so that is where they freeze first. Then they crack and break letting the water out, except that not all the water escapes and much of the "lower end' of the spa is ruined, anywhere there is solid fittings.

In a thermally closed design, even when they freeze after many days, they are 1/4 the cost to fix, because the plumbing is not hidden in foam. There is no digging and the leaks are obvious and easy to find.

So what are you saying Jim? If your tub stops working and it's really cold outside you need to get it fixed by a qualified proffesional as soon as possible? Yes I think that is what you are saying. And maybe in Colorado it's 1/4 of the cost to fix, but here in Northern Minnesota it is about the same for a qualified proffesional. You spew this BS and it slays me why it's allowed. Your such a crooked individual, do you have your plaid jacket on when you type Jim?

What happens if the consumer puts a trouble light in the equipment bay of there FF tub? How long before it freezes Jim?

I think this post needs to end. Its time has come. One final word.....I'm right..lol

Have you ever heard of Godwin's law? It's the theory that the longer a forum post goes on, the greater the probability that someone will be compared to Hitler.

The spa forums are like that, except we have Jim's nonsense instead of Hitler's nonsense. Can I call this one the Roberts Law?

"The longer a post on a Spa forum goes on, the probability that it will digress into Jim the Jim vs. all his detractors approaches one."