Hs Spaudio

Ron

Hi - I believe I have narrowed down my hot tub purchase to the HS Grande. The one option I really want, but can't seem to talk even my own self into spending the money on (since it is crazily expensive - $2000) is the Spaudio. Forget talking my wife into it :-)

Has anyone tried installing the Spaudio after buying the tub? The Grande is supposed to be Spaudio ready. I assume this means the mounting brackets for installing the transducers are factory mounted to the inside of the shell? I have a source for buying the transducers. If I installed those I could then hook up a stereo and be done. Could do it for around half the price. If the mounting brackets are not factory installed I would be leary about attaching the transducers.

If I could find the installation manual that the dealers use to install the Spaudio that would be even better.

Thanks.

Has anyone tried installing the Spaudio after buying the tub? The Grande is supposed to be Spaudio ready. I assume this means the mounting brackets for installing the transducers are factory mounted to the inside of the shell? I have a source for buying the transducers. If I installed those I could then hook up a stereo and be done. Could do it for around half the price. If the mounting brackets are not factory installed I would be leary about attaching the transducers.

If I could find the installation manual that the dealers use to install the Spaudio that would be even better.

Thanks.

Why not go to the HS website and ask their tech support? They're usually pretty fast at answering email questions. They do have an 800 # also, I believe. Good luck!

Hi - I believe I have narrowed down my hot tub purchase to the HS Grande. The one option I really want, but can't seem to talk even my own self into spending the money on (since it is crazily expensive - $2000) is the Spaudio. Forget talking my wife into it :-)

Thanks.

They drill the holes in the tub "carefully"(by dealer), and just run it in from the power and you will need some RCA's to hook up an amp and a sub if you want.

Thanks.

Ron,

You want to be careful adding something to the spa that is not authorized by the spa manufacturer or you will definately void your warranty.

These manufacturers test these things (sometimes for years) to find components that will operate with their controls.

There are some factors involved with adding an electrical component like this. The amperage is going to be important as it is connected right up to the spa control.

My advice would be To talk to the dealer and tell them you'll buy the spa but you want them to throw in the installation of the Spaudio even if you decide to add it a couple of months down the road. That way you cantake some time to decide if you want to invest that much into the Spaudio system.

I don't understand the need to have the sound system integrated into the spa? Is there something wrong with a boom-box or even a nice Bose system? You could get a Bose Wave Radio system for a fraction of what they charge to add-in a CD player and it will blow your integrated system away.

Anyway that you look at it you will have to tap into the electrical on the tub. make sure that doesnt void your warranty.

Actually, with what I am thinking - no. What I am thinking is if I can install the transducers easily, I can run the speaker wires under my deck, into my screened in porch and hook up to a stereo system there. No hook ups to the tubs electrical needed. The transducers are basicaly nothing more than speakers.

Hopefully by SpAudio ready they mean there are mounting brackets attached to the inside surface of the shell (moulded right in) for the transducers - I thought I read something like that somewhere but could be wrong. I certainly am not going to drill into my spas shell myself. Way to scary for me.

Ron,

You want to be careful adding something to the spa that is not authorized by the spa manufacturer or you will definately void your warranty.

These manufacturers test these things (sometimes for years) to find components that will operate with their controls.

There are some factors involved with adding an electrical component like this. The amperage is going to be important as it is connected right up to the spa control.

My advice would be To talk to the dealer and tell them you'll buy the spa but you want them to throw in the installation of the Spaudio even if you decide to add it a couple of months down the road. That way you cantake some time to decide if you want to invest that much into the Spaudio system.

Thanks, and your right. But I think with the set up I am thinking of, it should not void the warranty. My response to Fisrt Timer explains better what I'm thinking of doing than my first post.

I don't understand the need to have the sound system integrated into the spa? Is there something wrong with a boom-box or even a nice Bose system? You could get a Bose Wave Radio system for a fraction of what they charge to add-in a CD player and it will blow your integrated system away.

The problem with a boom box or home stereo is I have neighbors. When those jets are going you have to turn up an external stereo fairly loud to hear it, and of course the sounds travel laterally. With the transducers the sound stays more "in the tub". BTW, the higher end intergrated systems (transducers, subwoofers, etc) are awesome. The lower end built systems with only the pop-up speakers can be crappy.

I thought the same thing until I sat in one of the Hotsprings with the Spaudio. Its pricey but I put one in after I tried it.

Exactly, best I've heard. Just can't dust off the wallet enough to spend $2000 on it (was $1500 last year when i first started looking). So, I'm trying to figure out an alternative to get the same thing, or better, for less. I'm just thrilled I found the transducers they use that I can buy online.

OK. Don't forget to share the information. We share here :D .

HotSpring dealer here -

Yes the mounts for the transducers are already bonded to the shell, and by removing the siding you can gain access. Also, there are tubes (conduit) which run back to the motor compartment with pull strings already in place. I don't know if that would be the best way for you to get the wire to your system or not.

If you do choose to buy the whole system, now would be the time as they are changing to a different design and I would hope that dealers are dropping prices to unload any older systems still on hand.

As far as installing the whole system by yourself, there are no warranty issues as this would be a Watkins part, and no safety issues because you plug it into an outlet provided. If you run cables from another source, I would be VERY careful that power and speaker lines can't cross - now and years from now.

There is one hole to cut in the siding if you mount either the new CD player or the older 'black box' which housed the mp3 player or whatever 'front end' unit you chose. Otherwise, if you are running wires to another system you could feed those wires out under the equipment access panel - no drilling.

I have toyed with the idea of running a set of Xducers from my home stereo, let us know how it goes.

Exactly, best I've heard. Just can't dust off the wallet enough to spend $2000 on it (was $1500 last year when i first started looking). So, I'm trying to figure out an alternative to get the same thing, or better, for less. I'm just thrilled I found the transducers they use that I can buy online.

Your right if you are just adding to the exsisting system It wouldnt effect your warranty. I misunderstood your first post I thought you were going to try to put a system together yourself to install in the spa.

The reason the price went up is the different stereo connection. The old one just used like a walkman style radio. The new system is much nicer in my opinion. Good Luck

HotSpring dealer here -

Yes the mounts for the transducers are already bonded to the shell, and by removing the siding you can gain access. Also, there are tubes (conduit) which run back to the motor compartment with pull strings already in place. I don't know if that would be the best way for you to get the wire to your system or not.

If you do choose to buy the whole system, now would be the time as they are changing to a different design and I would hope that dealers are dropping prices to unload any older systems still on hand.

As far as installing the whole system by yourself, there are no warranty issues as this would be a Watkins part, and no safety issues because you plug it into an outlet provided. If you run cables from another source, I would be VERY careful that power and speaker lines can't cross - now and years from now.

There is one hole to cut in the siding if you mount either the new CD player or the older 'black box' which housed the mp3 player or whatever 'front end' unit you chose. Otherwise, if you are running wires to another system you could feed those wires out under the equipment access panel - no drilling.

I have toyed with the idea of running a set of Xducers from my home stereo, let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the information. I was out looking at the Grande again and asked the sales lady about the mounts. She didn't really have a clue and she was the only one in the store. The mounts being bonded to the shell from the factory is what I assumed but wasn't sure. Awesome information. Since my basic plan is to mount the transducers and run the wires to an exterior system (AM/FM, CD, Amp, etc) this should be perfect.

Can the whole system even be purchased? If I went with the whole system is there any price break for not having them install it? I can put together a system (transducers, AM/FM/CD player, amp) for around $1000. Probably can't get the whole system less than that.

I heard about the new design (hence the higher price) but not sure if they have any of the old ones left.

Going for a wet test tomorrow. I'm about sold on the Grande, the wet test is a sanity check. Will probably order in the next week or two.