How To Vacuum The Bottom And Top Of Pool?

Eric859

Hi! I'm a newbie above ground pool owner. It's a 27', 54" round model that holds roughly 19,000 gallons of water. I live in a wooded area and get a lot of debris on the bottom and on top of the water. I know they make automatic vacuums for the bottom, but is there anything that will also collect debris floating on top? Everyone I talk to says that the skimmer should be getting everything that's floating, but it doesn't. Whenever I go into the pool I spend about 30 minutes with a net and hand vac cleaning it up before I can enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Eric

• 1 month later...
I came accross a couple products that might help:

"PoolSkim In Pool Skimmer" and "Skim it"

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I just ordered this product (Polaris LCS Leaf Canister and Skimmer) to hopefully use with my new Baracuda Zoom vaccum. It seems great because it attaches to the vacuum hose so you can vacuum and skim at the same time and save your filter from extra debris. Hope it works.

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/polaris-l...4&zmap=r580

I used a Wanda the Whale vacuum before with a separate skimmer and had to switch back and forth. Wanda worked great but it broke a week ago. This time I went with a vacuum with less parts to break. The Zoom is working great so far. Just make sure you get all the air out of the tubes or your pump will freak out.

My main trouble has been trying to get my non-standard size Intex pool inflow and outflow ports to fit with the standard 1-1/2 inch connectors. But you might not have that problem.

Hope this helps.

Hi! I'm a newbie above ground pool owner. It's a 27', 54" round model that holds roughly 19,000 gallons of water. I live in a wooded area and get a lot of debris on the bottom and on top of the water. I know they make automatic vacuums for the bottom, but is there anything that will also collect debris floating on top? Everyone I talk to says that the skimmer should be getting everything that's floating, but it doesn't. Whenever I go into the pool I spend about 30 minutes with a net and hand vac cleaning it up before I can enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Eric

When I had a 24' round pool we had purchased something at our local pool store, Island Recreational, that was wonderful. It was a skimmer that was like a pouch, and it came with an arm that velcroed to the top rail that held the skimmer half in, half out of the water. Turn the pump on a little bit before you want to go in the pool, and it's amazing how much of the skimming it does for you, with no effort on your part. Anyone I've recommended this to absolutely loves it. Sorry, don't know the name of it, but if you check a few websites, I'm sure someone will have it. Good luck.

I came accross a couple products that might help:

"PoolSkim In Pool Skimmer" and "Skim it"

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I bought the PoolSkim earlier this season and am very satisfied with it. We have an oval AG pool which is used heavily by our dogs. The regular skimmer basket does catck a lot of dog hair but by no means all of it. Now, with the PoolSkim, nearly all the dog hair is collected in its attached net bag. It also catches leaves and bugs which had previously been missed by the regular skimmer.

This is a valuable pool maintenance item, IMO.