Concrete Pool Covered With Fiberglass/gel Coat Re-finishing

BLK

Hello,

I have a concerete pool that was covered with fiberglass 4 years ago. Fiberglass was applied with pieces of fiberglass then rolled with resin, then sanded, and gel coat was applied with roller. I hired guys to do that, so I didn't do it myself.

Now I started to get these green spots on the bottom of my pool that I couldn't get rid of, I tried clorine, bleach, shock, metal removers and finally decided to take the water out.

After removing water from the pool I started to see little bubbles (size of the pencil eraser) when pressed with finger, it pops and water comes out of it and of course that gel coat that poped now comes off leaving whatever it is under it. These bubbles cover the entire pool bottom.

I don't know how that water got under the gel coat but I am thinking now to sand it and reapply the gel coat. Maybe those green spots is the algea that got there when the bubble poped on it's own and now it's started to grow under the gel coat. I don't know what it is.

Anyone here had such thing? What did you do about it? Where to buy gel coat? Will non pool gel coat work? Like the one for boats? I found one for pools but 5 gal of it cost $360 way to expens... for me. Found some on lbifiberglass.com for $230 and don't know if it's the same thing.

Please help.

Thank you,

B

• 6 months later...
Hello,

I have a concerete pool that was covered with fiberglass 4 years ago. Fiberglass was applied with pieces of fiberglass then rolled with resin, then sanded, and gel coat was applied with roller. I hired guys to do that, so I didn't do it myself.

Now I started to get these green spots on the bottom of my pool that I couldn't get rid of, I tried clorine, bleach, shock, metal removers and finally decided to take the water out.

After removing water from the pool I started to see little bubbles (size of the pencil eraser) when pressed with finger, it pops and water comes out of it and of course that gel coat that poped now comes off leaving whatever it is under it. These bubbles cover the entire pool bottom.

I don't know how that water got under the gel coat but I am thinking now to sand it and reapply the gel coat. Maybe those green spots is the algea that got there when the bubble poped on it's own and now it's started to grow under the gel coat. I don't know what it is.

Anyone here had such thing? What did you do about it? Where to buy gel coat? Will non pool gel coat work? Like the one for boats? I found one for pools but 5 gal of it cost $360 way to expens... for me. Found some on lbifiberglass.com for $230 and don't know if it's the same thing.

Please help.

Thank you,

B

Sorry for the late reply but I am new to this forum. Based on your description, you do not have gel coat on your pool. I have no doubt you were told it was gel coat, but this lie is typical in the resurfacing industry. Let's hope they used vinyl ester resen underneath and on top of the fiberglass instead of poly ester, or your cost for repair will increase somewhat.

Nevertheless, the solution for the problems you described is inexpensive, provided you supply the labor. The entire surface of the pool must be hand sanded using an orbital sander with an 80-120 grit sanding pad. The paint will come off pretty easy so the labor isn't too excessive. That was the only hard part, the rest is pretty easy. The pool needs to be washed down with water and allowed to dry completely. Finally, wash with solvent and roll-on two coats of swimming pool gelcoat (not boat gelcoat in answer to one of your questions). Allow to cure for 3 days before filling with water. The finish will last 12-15 years depending upon proper chemical balance. Feel free to email me with any questions. -Bill Company CEO

• 11 years later...