Pricing A Used Hot Tub - Formula?

mrdman37

Anyone have a formula for figuring out what a used hot tub is worth?

For Example, I am looking at a Jacuzzi hot tub

Model: Jacuzzi Aero Select

5-6 years old (reportedly drained and idle 5 months/yr.)

In door location

excellent condition

cover included

Anything else to factor in?

What's it worth? :wacko:

In door location

excellent condition

cover included

1 25%

2 20%

3 15%

4 10%

5 5%

Than 5% constant for every year there after until it renders unvaluable

1 25%

2 20%

3 15%

4 10%

5 5%

Than 5% constant for every year there after until it renders unvaluable

Am I understanding this correctly?

For Example:

New Hot Tub purchase price: $3500

1)25% - $3500 x .75 = $2625

2)20% - $2625 x .80 = $2100

Am I on the right track? Please advise. Thanks.

For Example:

Exactly, that is the depreciation we use for used spa's depending on how old they are.

In door location

excellent condition

cover included

WAcko

I just paid 5 hundie for a 1994 thermospa park ave with 2 cracked pvc manifolds, its a fixer upper, it has a new cover and a new heater. For what its worth.

the noob

For Example:

If it was a $3500 spa to begin with, you should only pay about 1/2 that now. I'd offer $1500. Just my opinon.

How about a warranty for parts and labor? It would be critical for a used tub for the dealer to have some kind of protection against worn out parts etc. Labor rates are around 100 bucks an hour.

He who have jacuzzi to fix

Must use high performance chop stix. :blink:

Not sure, but I believe it was purchased around 1999-2000

The resale value of the spa from a dealer in mint condition is 1,449.87 with no defects, blemishes and everything is mechanically sound. If you are buying from private seller no more than 1,100.00 in my opinion

The resale value of the spa from a dealer in mint condition is 1,449.87 with no defects, blemishes and everything is mechanically sound. If you are buying from private seller no more than 1,100.00 in my opinion

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting here. I will see the tub for the first time this Saturday morning. If I like it, I'm going to offer around $1,100.00. It is reportedly in great, like new condition. I will also get the cover, electrical boxes and conduit, and lots of left over chemicals. I'll be sure to report back to everyone how this pans out.

THANKS TO ALL

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting here. I will see the tub for the first time this Saturday morning. If I like it, I'm going to offer around $1,100.00. It is reportedly in great, like new condition. I will also get the cover, electrical boxes and conduit, and lots of left over chemicals. I'll be sure to report back to everyone how this pans out.

THANKS TO ALL

That just puts the icing on the cake. Good Job.

That just puts the icing on the cake. Good Job.

Hi All,

The Jacuzzi tub was pick up, transported, unloaded and installed yesterday. Things went pretty well and it is up and running today. Time will tell if this was a good buy, but it appeared to be in good condition, and fortunately I have qualified help to troubleshoot whatever might come up. That said, I will have a certified technician out in the next few weeks to give it a thorough inspection.

Question:

How much time will it take for the tech to take it through its paces and give me an assessment of the tub and its projected maintenance/repair/replace going forward?

Hi All,

The Jacuzzi tub was pick up, transported, unloaded and installed yesterday. Things went pretty well and it is up and running today. Time will tell if this was a good buy, but it appeared to be in good condition, and fortunately I have qualified help to troubleshoot whatever might come up. That said, I will have a certified technician out in the next few weeks to give it a thorough inspection.

Question:

How much time will it take for the tech to take it through its paces and give me an assessment of the tub and its projected maintenance/repair/replace going forward?

How much did you end up paying? Did you see and hear it run before you bought it? Depending on where you are from will give you the lead time. Up to a week and a half depending on your area. As for repair the 1st thing to go is usually something in the component area like a pump seal or union. Keep us updated and I will be happy to answer any questions.

How much did you end up paying? Did you see and hear it run before you bought it? Depending on where you are from will give you the lead time. Up to a week and a half depending on your area. As for repair the 1st thing to go is usually something in the component area like a pump seal or union. Keep us updated and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Brulan,

First off, thank you for all you comments and wisdom. It's very generous of you.

I paid $1,100 which included the services of the seller's son in law to transport and hookup the unit and considering we traveled an hour and a half each way in his truck and trailer (for which he refused to accept a dime), and for which he spent the whole day hooking up power and installing GFI breakers and disconnects, I feel like I got a pretty good value. The son in law is a friend and neighbor, hot tub owner, and a licenced contractor with respectable skills. I have him pretty much at my disposal going forward. He's a stand up guy and wants to make sure I have a good outcome here. Without my faith in him, I would not have purchased this unit.

All that said, here's where I've taken a big risk. The tub hasn't been used in approximately 2 years. The tub was purchased new in April of 1999, so it's almost 7 years old. We didn't want to fill it and wait all day to test it before heading back home, so we just loaded it up and hauled it away.

When we fired it up for the first time, we had some leaking at one of the pump seals. Not sure exactly what to call this spot, but it was a hand-tightened PVC pipe connection just to the right of the pump motor. We tightened it up and reduced the leak to a slow drip. We speculated that it may be a gasket that has gotten pretty dry over the two years of inactivity.

I'm planning to call our local spa dealer up to arrange for an inspection. The dealer seems to have a good reputation, but he's not a Jacuzzi reseller, think that makes any difference?

Brulan,

First off, thank you for all you comments and wisdom. It's very generous of you.

I paid $1,100 which included the services of the seller's son in law to transport and hookup the unit and considering we traveled an hour and a half each way in his truck and trailer (for which he refused to accept a dime), and for which he spent the whole day hooking up power and installing GFI breakers and disconnects, I feel like I got a pretty good value. The son in law is a friend and neighbor, hot tub owner, and a licenced contractor with respectable skills. I have him pretty much at my disposal going forward. He's a stand up guy and wants to make sure I have a good outcome here. Without my faith in him, I would not have purchased this unit.

All that said, here's where I've taken a big risk. The tub hasn't been used in approximately 2 years. The tub was purchased new in April of 1999, so it's almost 7 years old. We didn't want to fill it and wait all day to test it before heading back home, so we just loaded it up and hauled it away.

When we fired it up for the first time, we had some leaking at one of the pump seals. Not sure exactly what to call this spot, but it was a hand-tightened PVC pipe connection just to the right of the pump motor. We tightened it up and reduced the leak to a slow drip. We speculated that it may be a gasket that has gotten pretty dry over the two years of inactivity.

I'm planning to call our local spa dealer up to arrange for an inspection. The dealer seems to have a good reputation, but he's not a Jacuzzi reseller, think that makes any difference?

Does the pump sound noisy or clangy? If so just replace pump or have it rebuilt. When the pump seal is replaced that will stop the leak. if leaking is Between housing and pump than seals should be replaced. In the future watch the PH because that is critical for the seals. Was there water siting in the lines during the winter, if so hopefully there is no freeze damage. Was it winterized when they closed it down? If it is the seal it should cost about 16.95 plus labor 35 dollars. and sometimes when you do seals the impeller should be changed. Keep me updated.

Does the pump sound noisy or clangy? If so just replace pump or have it rebuilt. When the pump seal is replaced that will stop the leak. if leaking is Between housing and pump than seals should be replaced. In the future watch the PH because that is critical for the seals. Was there water siting in the lines during the winter, if so hopefully there is no freeze damage. Was it winterized when they closed it down? If it is the seal it should cost about 16.95 plus labor 35 dollars. and sometimes when you do seals the impeller should be changed. Keep me updated.

No noisy clangy sounds from the pump. Pump seal seems like a pretty easy fix. It might go away on its own if the gasket simple needs to rehydrate. I'll keep my eye on that.

The tub has spent it's entire life indoors. There wasn't but a few ounces of water in the whole system.

Brulan,

You should be ok even if he doesnt sale them. Ther is a oring in that union and it would be a good thing to have the service guy give it the onceover while you have him there.

No noisy clangy sounds from the pump. Pump seal seems like a pretty easy fix. It might go away on its own if the gasket simple needs to rehydrate. I'll keep my eye on that.

The tub has spent it's entire life indoors. There wasn't but a few ounces of water in the whole system.

Great, but I still recomend changing the seal with an assembly kit and while its apart the impellar too. I wish you many years with the jacuzzi and you will see that once you own a hot tub you will always want one. ;)

Great, but I still recomend changing the seal with an assembly kit and while its apart the impellar too. I wish you many years with the jacuzzi and you will see that once you own a hot tub you will always want one. ;)

If there is no leak from the pump seals there is no reason to be tearing the pump apart to repair something that isnt broken. My opinion.