Hot Tubs And Spas

I live in Windsor, Ontario and this is my first time looking for a spa. The ones that they sell in my area are Bullfrog, Beachcomber, Catalina, Sunrise and Saratoga. Can anyone give me some feed back as to which ones would be better than others? I am looking for a spa that seats 6-7 people comfortably and with enough foot room as well. Looking for all the input I can get!

I live in Windsor, Ontario and this is my first time looking for a spa. The ones that they sell in my area are Bullfrog, Beachcomber, Catalina, Sunrise and Saratoga. Can anyone give me some feed back as to which ones would be better than others? I am looking for a spa that seats 6-7 people comfortably and with enough foot room as well. Looking for all the input I can get!

I live in Chatham and i bought a Marquis 7 person and absolutely love it. $1200.00 you get what you pay for when it comes down to it

There are several good brands you will find listed throughout this board, D1, Hotsprings, Marquis, Arctic just to name a few. Get out and see as many as you can, and everyone will tell you one same thing even if they disagree on everything else: WET TEST! Get out your swimming suit and hop into as many tubs as possible. Note in each how well you fit in the seats, if you float or not, the jet placements in the seats, power of the jets, leg room, depth of each seat (move around in each tub as you will find each seat varies in depth/jets/etc). If you want to comfortably fit a larger amount of people, i would suggest going with a model that does not have a lounger. I have an arctic cub with a lounger and it fits 4 - 5 comfortably, but could fit 6 comfortably if it didn't have a lounger (i don't entertain large groups and enjoy the lounger, so it's preference). Try not to worry about the method of insulation too much but the overall quality of the tub. See how well each dealer treats you, how they listen to you and what they are willing to offer (free monthly services such as water testing and filter cleaning are bonus). Also, take a look at the dealers track record, how long have they been around? This could be a good indication of whether or not they'll be around to service you properly. Don't be afraid to bring along a notepad and jot down information about each tub/dealer when you are out and about, and write down all your questions so you don't have to pay a repeat visit to have a forgotten one answered. Get copies of warranties on each of the tub and read through them carefully, some are as mentioned pro-rated, but the warranty is only as good as the dealer so again, you want to make sure you trust your dealer. There is room to haggle a little bit on sticker price and you may find a difference of several hundred dollars on comparable models from different manufacturers. Don't let the dealer make you think it's because thier tub is "superior", that's a sales gimmick and any dealer should believe this about thier tub anyways. Things that are easier to haggle with are the add-ons. See what you can get added into the price for free. These may include a cover lifter, cedar stairs, cedar bar, railing to get in/out of the tub, etc. Some dealers say they'll throw in your first few months of chemicals, but this is pretty much standard and is not really a freebie, nor is the cover (i've heard this one, give me a break, bying a hot tub without a cover would be like buying a house with no roof . . . it's included!). Hope this helps, good luck in your search!

I live in Chatham and i bought a Marquis 7 person and absolutely love it. $1200.00 you get what you pay for when it comes down to it

Thanks for the input. I am looking to spend no more than $10,000.00 and I think I should be able to find something great for this price. I will do a dry and wet test on all the models that I am interested in. Comfort is definately a priorty as well as warranties.

There are several good brands you will find listed throughout this board, D1, Hotsprings, Marquis, Arctic just to name a few. Get out and see as many as you can, and everyone will tell you one same thing even if they disagree on everything else: WET TEST! Get out your swimming suit and hop into as many tubs as possible. Note in each how well you fit in the seats, if you float or not, the jet placements in the seats, power of the jets, leg room, depth of each seat (move around in each tub as you will find each seat varies in depth/jets/etc). If you want to comfortably fit a larger amount of people, i would suggest going with a model that does not have a lounger. I have an arctic cub with a lounger and it fits 4 - 5 comfortably, but could fit 6 comfortably if it didn't have a lounger (i don't entertain large groups and enjoy the lounger, so it's preference). Try not to worry about the method of insulation too much but the overall quality of the tub. See how well each dealer treats you, how they listen to you and what they are willing to offer (free monthly services such as water testing and filter cleaning are bonus). Also, take a look at the dealers track record, how long have they been around? This could be a good indication of whether or not they'll be around to service you properly. Don't be afraid to bring along a notepad and jot down information about each tub/dealer when you are out and about, and write down all your questions so you don't have to pay a repeat visit to have a forgotten one answered. Get copies of warranties on each of the tub and read through them carefully, some are as mentioned pro-rated, but the warranty is only as good as the dealer so again, you want to make sure you trust your dealer. There is room to haggle a little bit on sticker price and you may find a difference of several hundred dollars on comparable models from different manufacturers. Don't let the dealer make you think it's because thier tub is "superior", that's a sales gimmick and any dealer should believe this about thier tub anyways. Things that are easier to haggle with are the add-ons. See what you can get added into the price for free. These may include a cover lifter, cedar stairs, cedar bar, railing to get in/out of the tub, etc. Some dealers say they'll throw in your first few months of chemicals, but this is pretty much standard and is not really a freebie, nor is the cover (i've heard this one, give me a break, bying a hot tub without a cover would be like buying a house with no roof . . . it's included!). Hope this helps, good luck in your search!

Thanks for the info. Great advice! I am a small woman and my husband is much larger so finding a spa that will accomodate both of us as well as our older teenage children will be a priority. The only thing that I don't like about the Bullfrog is that the seats are all at the same height, but the jets are great! As you said, dry test and wet test to see what fits us the most comfortable. Warranties are definately a priority as well. We entertain alot and I have found that most spas that I have seen that accomodate 5 peeople seem to be very small and so is the foot well but the price is at least $3,000.00 less expensive than the 6-7 people spas. Then again you get more room in the 6-7 people spas. I was hoping to hear from some people who had purchased the spas that I was talking about so to get pro/cons on them to help me narrow down my search. But I do appreciate your advice and will take it all into consideration when I go out searching for that perfect spa!

Thanks for the info. Great advice! I am a small woman and my husband is much larger so finding a spa that will accomodate both of us as well as our older teenage children will be a priority. The only thing that I don't like about the Bullfrog is that the seats are all at the same height, but the jets are great! As you said, dry test and wet test to see what fits us the most comfortable. Warranties are definately a priority as well. We entertain alot and I have found that most spas that I have seen that accomodate 5 peeople seem to be very small and so is the foot well but the price is at least $3,000.00 less expensive than the 6-7 people spas. Then again you get more room in the 6-7 people spas. I was hoping to hear from some people who had purchased the spas that I was talking about so to get pro/cons on them to help me narrow down my search. But I do appreciate your advice and will take it all into consideration when I go out searching for that perfect spa!

If you consider Coleman look at the 107 series you might love the price for what it has.

Make sure as you shop you get a copy of the warranty for each of the spas that you are looking at. Without mentioning any names I can tell you two of the manufacturers that you mentioned do not have a printed warranty.

You've heard the old saying its not worth the paper its written on, well how much do you think a warranty is worth that you cant even get in writting?

Check out each dealer on their service and make sure they have a good reputation of servicing what they sell. And you should wet test any spa that you are considering. If you read through some of the Threads on this forum you will hear of cases where people have put deposits down on spas and then went in to sit in them only to find out they dont fit in certain seats and then they run into problems getting their money back.

You wouldnt buy a car without driving it and the same should hold true for a spa.

Good Luck

Make sure as you shop you get a copy of the warranty for each of the spas that you are looking at. Without mentioning any names I can tell you two of the manufacturers that you mentioned do not have a printed warranty.

You've heard the old saying its not worth the paper its written on, well how much do you think a warranty is worth that you cant even get in writting?

Check out each dealer on their service and make sure they have a good reputation of servicing what they sell. And you should wet test any spa that you are considering. If you read through some of the Threads on this forum you will hear of cases where people have put deposits down on spas and then went in to sit in them only to find out they dont fit in certain seats and then they run into problems getting their money back.

You wouldnt buy a car without driving it and the same should hold true for a spa.

Good Luck

Thank you for your reply. You do have my curiosity peaked now that you mentioned two of the above do not have printed warranties. Will companies give you printed warranties if you are just looking or will they say they will once you purchase their spas? Fine Line! Can you give me a hint?

Thank you for your reply. You do have my curiosity peaked now that you mentioned two of the above do not have printed warranties. Will companies give you printed warranties if you are just looking or will they say they will once you purchase their spas? Fine Line! Can you give me a hint?

If you can't see the warranty before you even consider a purchase of that brand. Rule them out. You should go over the warrantys of any brand before you plunk a cent down.

Any reputable spa dealer should be happy to give a copy of their warranty. Its one of the first things I put in my customers hands even if they dont ask for it.

The way I look at it is if they are not willing to share that with you they are either trying to hide something or a written warranty does not exsist.

And yes you are right a typical answer is you'll get a copy of the warranty with your spa. My response to that would be ok you have spas sitting here on the floor why dont you pull one of the warranties out of one of these and make me a copy of it.

Its very important to get a spa that has a warranty that is backed by the manufacturer not just the dealer. That way if your dealer goes out of business you have the manufacturer responsible to get you taken care of.

I would stick with the major manufacturers. Beachcomber, Hot Spring, Arctic, Sundance, D1, Saratoga.

Is there a Caldera Dealer near you? if so check out the Utopia Tahitian it has everything but the stereo and the jets feel great. if you want more room try the Geneva or Niagra all 3 have a great ozone system and energy pro heating sys/ cir pump. lots of massaging jets, LED lighting, waterfall, and a full warranty. There are alot of good spas out there hope you find what you are looking for. good luck!

Any reputable spa dealer should be happy to give a copy of their warranty. Its one of the first things I put in my customers hands even if they dont ask for it.

The way I look at it is if they are not willing to share that with you they are either trying to hide something or a written warranty does not exsist.

And yes you are right a typical answer is you'll get a copy of the warranty with your spa. My response to that would be ok you have spas sitting here on the floor why dont you pull one of the warranties out of one of these and make me a copy of it.

Its very important to get a spa that has a warranty that is backed by the manufacturer not just the dealer. That way if your dealer goes out of business you have the manufacturer responsible to get you taken care of.

I would stick with the major manufacturers. Beachcomber, Hot Spring, Arctic, Sundance, D1, Saratoga.

Coleman expresses the warranties because it is one of the best. Lifetime structural frame, 10yr. shell, 5 yrs mech and electrical and 7 year leak

Is there a Caldera Dealer near you? if so check out the Utopia Tahitian it has everything but the stereo and the jets feel great. if you want more room try the Geneva or Niagra all 3 have a great ozone system and energy pro heating sys/ cir pump. lots of massaging jets, LED lighting, waterfall, and a full warranty. There are alot of good spas out there hope you find what you are looking for. good luck!

As far as I know, there are no Caldera Dealers in the Windsor area, but I'll keep a look out for them when I continue my search for a spa.

As far as I know, there are no Caldera Dealers in the Windsor area, but I'll keep a look out for them when I continue my search for a spa.

Caldera makes a good spa and I havn't heard that manufacturers name in quite a while. You cant count them out.

Coleman expresses the warranties because it is one of the best. Lifetime structural frame, 10yr. shell, 5 yrs mech and electrical and 7 year leak

I'll try and stick to the dealers that are in my city. Most of them have been in the business for a long time so that won't be an issue, but finding the right spa with the right qualities, warranties etc, will. So far I have not encountered any Coleman Spas upon my search. But thanks for the info!

I'll try and stick to the dealers that are in my city. Most of them have been in the business for a long time so that won't be an issue, but finding the right spa with the right qualities, warranties etc, will. So far I have not encountered any Coleman Spas upon my search. But thanks for the info!

Your welcome