Gulf Coast

Guest Steve Sunseth

Guest Steve Sunseth

Can anyone comment on the VALUE of a Gulf Coast spa? I am trying to make a decion. I want an entry level tub that can seat 6 people. I was trying to decide between a Nordic Rendezvous II or a Sunrise Poseidon VS. Both are floor models, I can take either one for $6500 Canadian ($4700) US. Then I see an ad in the paper and end up in a warehouse full of Gulf Coast spas. I like the look of the 'Rotunda', and I can have it for the same price. I check out comments on these forums and I don't know what to think. There's almost no feedback on Sunrise.... it's like the company doesn't even exist. They're made in Canada, maybe they don't go out of the country. Nordic is still bragging about a good review they got in the Robb Report a hundred years ago or something...but again, as far as specific comments go, I can't find much. Maybe no news is good news in the hut tub industry? I get on here and read the reviews on Gulf Coast. There's some bitter, bitter people but the reasons don't seem to be serious. So I have to send in the warantee card on time... I can do that. So they take a long time to deliver.... what do I care, it's in the warehouse right now...I can go pick it up. So they help me diagnose the problem when I call before sending a service man. I like that! I don't want to wait for a service man if the guy on the phone can just tell me to change a fuse. These are manageable problems for me. The question I have is this... is there anything wrong with a Gulf Coast Spa? Their website suggests that this unit might retail for over $8,000 US. Is it really a rip off at $5000 US and if so, what's a good alternative for me?

Thanks

Steve

Guest spatech (the unreal one)

There have been many warning signals here and elsewhere relative to Gulf Coast. You can choose to ignore them if you wish but they are real. Stick with a local dealer. Nordic has a much better reputation.

Guest Jim Arjuna

The Gulf Coast spas are a good value, in my opinion, but they need to be owned by someone who is "mechanical", because you will want to increase the insulation in the perimeter walls to create a thermal warm air barrier. Otherwise, it will eat up a lot more electricity. This is a relatively simple thing to do.

You will also want to be able to work on the tub yourself, and I think that Gulf Coast is good at helping on the phone, or so I have been told.

You have to realize that you are cutting costs, and that usually means that you have to do more with the spa.

It is a reasonable choice, from what I have seen. For people who need help starting the lawn mower, Gulf Coast is not for them.

You're right about sunrise spas, back on Aug. 23 I asked about them on this forum and got no response. We were interested in the Sunrise Paragon series. They seem like very nice, well made spas at a good price. Our dealer did not have one with water in to test so we left. He did say though that they are the quietest spas he has ever seen - but if we can't see that for ourselves it doesn't help us. But, after all the reading I've done on this forum, I would still choose the Sunrise over the Gulf Coast. Sunrise are made in Grimsby Ontario, Maybe you should take a tour of their factory (if you live close).

Guest Fred Hoppe

A month ago we bought a Gulf Coast Boca Grande Spa. It is the worst purchase I ever made on ANYTHING.

The instruction book is a worthless, confusing exercise including information on all Gulf Coast spa models all thrown together and details the operation of some obsolete features. The instruction book could not be worse if it was written by a 2nd grade class somewhere in China.

We have used the hot tub about 3-4 times and other than that it is unusable with constant problems. The water is so murky that it is outright ugly to look at.

The air blower system shoots cold air up into your butt when turned on. An unpleasant experience I assure you.

Today the redwood outer shell is collapsing. It was assembled quick and dirty with one porch screw at each support. Many of the screws missed their mounting target and are not into anything solid. The outside decorative panels, fastened with 4 screws each are the actual verticle support holding up the tub. It was not supposed to be that way, but that's the situation with ours. Poor quality cheesebox woodwork.

Do yourself a favor. Use somebody else's hot tub and save the money.

Guest spatech (the unreal one)

Unfortunately, when you see a negative Gulf Coast post it doesn't seem to be mere dissapointment but often severe unhappiness with both the prodcut and the company. I think people convince themselves that the're getting a premium spa for a bargain price but find out later why the spa was much cheaper than some of the name brands out there. Sometimes, if it seems too good to be true ...

just put a deposit on a gulf coast spa today the rotundra i beleive. I am hoping it is good. The company seems as though it has been in business for a while. My husband is pretty handy. I called service today just to see if they pick up the phone and they do, good sign, we have an older calspa now, currently out of commission, had some leaking issues, costly nightmare to find leak, dealer of gulf coast told me leaks would be convered under lifetime warranty; what gives? is this all false i have 48 hours to revoke my deposit. I also know i usually don't post comments unless if have problems so are the problems far and few between and we are just not seeing + postings?

Micki,

It's a good thing your husband is handy as he will probably be the spa service tech (despite their promises) and BTW, there is no such thing as lifetime warranty (that is a Marketing ploy that usually equates to 7 yrs, max). You're buying this based on price so as long as your expectations don't exceed the reality of the situation this purchase may be fine. I would do a thorough search first.

Guest Fred Hoppe

Update on problems with the poor construction of the redwood outside casing on our Gulf Coast Boca Grande Spa.

Two weeks ago, I sent a letter to Gulf Coast reporting the structural failure of the redwood casing of our spa, with a copy to their local sales rep. The sales rep responded, but Gulf Coast has not. The rep has offered to make the carpentry repairs.

But to do the carpentry repairs requires emptying the spa to relieve the weight from the outside casing. I needed to use a 3 ton bottle jack to lift the top structure when I made the temporary repair.

It takes about 3-4 days and a gallon of vinegar, after refilling our spa until the water is clear enough to use the spa again, and we will be shutting down and winterizing the spa in only 30 days. So we will wait until then, drain the tub, then disassemble and rebuild the outside casing when we winterize the spa.

Guest Frank Woodhouse

FYI I have a Gulf Coast Spa. Their warranty is crap, and their response in responding on service related issues is terrible. You have to coordinate the whole process yourself and hope it gets done right. We have had nothing but problems with the tub and the company. We do enjoy the spa, however we were sold on their "lifetime" warranty. The warranty is crap as is their service.

Never, ever buy a "spa" from someone:

A. Selling spas on the side of the road

B. Selling spas from a rented storage building

C. Selling rebranded spas on the internet

D. Selling spas from a "factory direct warehouse"

E. Selling "$8,000 spas for $3,700"

Use your God-given good sense when shopping, the same as you would do if you were looking for a car or house. Don't expect to get a top-of-the-line product at bargain basement prices. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Terminator

My parents had an old Catalina with full foam that leaked awful. They couldn't find the leak. Because of that I bought a Gulf Coast Englewood for $4200. I looked at Hot Springs and others but they all had that full foam. The price is cheaper not because of cheaper parts but because of the wholesale vs. retail. Ding Ding Ding. The cost difference is in the dealers profit. Who do you think pays for all that national advertising-- THE CONSUMER.

I love my spa so much my sister bought one and neither of us have had problems. (I had to change my light bulb but no matter.) My water is super clear because I use a clarifier from Wal-Mart (hTh brand) that whisks away the milky colored time release chalk in the chemical tabs.

I can't say much about Nordic-- they weren't close to the five/five star rating that Gulf Coast has at poolandspa.com.

There is a reason Gulf Coast sits with Hot Springs, Caldera and Arctic on quality. But it blows my mind that people spend 3 or 4K more for a radio and fancy lights.

My parents had an old Catalina with full foam that leaked awful. They couldn't find the leak. Because of that I bought a Gulf Coast Englewood for $4200. I looked at Hot Springs and others but they all had that full foam. The price is cheaper not because of cheaper parts but because of the wholesale vs. retail. Ding Ding Ding. The cost difference is in the dealers profit. Who do you think pays for all that national advertising-- THE CONSUMER.

I love my spa so much my sister bought one and neither of us have had problems. (I had to change my light bulb but no matter.) My water is super clear because I use a clarifier from Wal-Mart (hTh brand) that whisks away the milky colored time release chalk in the chemical tabs.

I can't say much about Nordic-- they weren't close to the five/five star rating that Gulf Coast has at poolandspa.com.

There is a reason Gulf Coast sits with Hot Springs, Caldera and Arctic on quality. But it blows my mind that people spend 3 or 4K more for a radio and fancy lights.

I have not see a full foam Catalina spa. Are you sure about that. They are partial foam with an air space but no perimeter foam on the cabinet. Perhaps Caldera? Cal or ??

I don't consider Hot Spring or Caldera to be quality, but the Arctic is.

Never, ever buy a "spa" from someone:

A. Selling spas on the side of the road

B. Selling spas from a rented storage building

C. Selling rebranded spas on the internet

D. Selling spas from a "factory direct warehouse"

E. Selling "$8,000 spas for $3,700"

Use your God-given good sense when shopping, the same as you would do if you were looking for a car or house. Don't expect to get a top-of-the-line product at bargain basement prices. Your blood pressure will thank you.

Terminator

Let me help you add to your list.

F. Don't buy spas from a guy with a gun on top of his tub.

G. Don't buy a spa from a fellow who knows less about hot tubs than you do.

H. Find out about hot tubs before you go shopping. Do research on the net. If you search

well, you will find out more than most hot tub sales guys know.

Jim,

Now that you ask if it was Catalina I start questioning myself.

The Catalina dealer said the new spas are 80% full foam? I can't tell you how old it was. Or if it was full or 80% I guess. 80% is a lot o foam.

I can tell you it began with a C. And the dealer here in Kansas City has been here awhile- it's the one I remember.

It was a mess though. We are really happy with the Gulf Coast spa. Have you seen them/sold them/worked on them/heard about them?

I am glad to hear there are other anti-foamers.

And to add to the second quote...

The Gulf Coast dealer was very informed and knowledgeble. She went out of her way to explain things when other dealers had made up names for "exclusive" features. (Are ozonators in only one type of hot tub, is there REALLY only one manufacturer with a great warranty?)

I understand there are master manufacturing plants making little parts for everybodies tubs and most hot tub manufacturers pick and chose which ones to buy among all the components made-- then they wrap the spa up in their own way (shell mold, method of insulation). So that means a spa manufacturer rarely has any EXCLUSIVE SECRETIVE technology. And that these difference, and the differences in warranty and service are the end all be all in the industry. So why in the world wouldn't you buy it from a hard working, honest small business owner asking much less (your warranty is still with the manufacturer). Why pay more in retail when all you are doing is feeding numerous employee salaries, big money advertising and expensive showrooms?

Let me help you add to your list.

F. Don't buy spas from a guy with a gun on top of his tub.

Don't worry, it's not my gun. It's my 7-year old daughter's gun. I bought it so she can protect herself from internet predators.

Terminator

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the VALUE of a Gulf Coast spa? I am trying to make a decion. I want an entry level tub that can seat 6 people. I was trying to decide between a Nordic Rendezvous II or a Sunrise Poseidon VS. Both are floor models, I can take either one for $6500 Canadian ($4700) US. Then I see an ad in the paper and end up in a warehouse full of Gulf Coast spas. I like the look of the 'Rotunda', and I can have it for the same price. I check out comments on these forums and I don't know what to think. There's almost no feedback on Sunrise.... it's like the company doesn't even exist. They're made in Canada, maybe they don't go out of the country. Nordic is still bragging about a good review they got in the Robb Report a hundred years ago or something...but again, as far as specific comments go, I can't find much. Maybe no news is good news in the hut tub industry? I get on here and read the reviews on Gulf Coast. There's some bitter, bitter people but the reasons don't seem to be serious. So I have to send in the warantee card on time... I can do that. So they take a long time to deliver.... what do I care, it's in the warehouse right now...I can go pick it up. So they help me diagnose the problem when I call before sending a service man. I like that! I don't want to wait for a service man if the guy on the phone can just tell me to change a fuse. These are manageable problems for me. The question I have is this... is there anything wrong with a Gulf Coast Spa? Their website suggests that this unit might retail for over $8,000 US. Is it really a rip off at $5000 US and if so, what's a good alternative for me?

Thanks

Steve

i have had my spa for three months and for 1 of those months it has been down due to bad parts i have had the blower pump 1 and the power pack needing to be replaced . if this is not enough for you my buddy purchased the same spa at the same date his spa has had 2 parts needing replacement if this is not enough for you buy the spa as the old saying goes misery loves company

You have a lot of feed back here for Gulfcoast Spas. So, I thought I would pass along some info for Sunrise Spas, the other company you mentioned. Sunrise is a Grimsby, Ontario, Canada, manufacturer of Spas. They are a really nice company and make a quality spa. They are well known in Canada and Northeastern U.S. They are not the largest company. They have not made a big marketing push in the United States, so they are not well known here. They manufacture two lines, the Sunrise Spa line and the Paragon Spas line. The Paragon line has a unique bottom, frame and structure. A real nice high end spa, with a $$$$ price tag to go with it. Both lines are available with cedar or resin cabinets, circ pumps standard, full foam standard, gecko controls. Water features, led lighting, stereos, stainless available optional. If you have a local dealer in your market, then consider looking at them and give them a test drive.