Cracked Spa Shell Repair.. Help Please

kargrego

Hi everyone .. I'm new to this site - so forgive me if you've covered this topic already.

We've had a Hot Springs Sovereign tub for 8 years since it was new. (it's outside in Green Bay, WI) .. Have been pretty happy with it .. however we did have a few issues that were fixed under the warranty. (heater, circ pump, jet repair, leaks).

Wouldn't you know, one year past warranty we have two somewhat large cracks on the lip of the tub.. approx 3.5" long. We've drilled small holes, as instructed, to stop the cracks.. but now ... what product will do the best repair/filler job? Does anyone have experience with repairing the Endurol shell, which is the hard white thermoplastic?

I'd love to hear from you. ... any info would be appreciated. We're hoping to get a few more years out of this tub before replacing :)

Thanks!

Hi everyone .. I'm new to this site - so forgive me if you've covered this topic already.

We've had a Hot Springs Sovereign tub for 8 years since it was new. (it's outside in Green Bay, WI) .. Have been pretty happy with it .. however we did have a few issues that were fixed under the warranty. (heater, circ pump, jet repair, leaks).

Wouldn't you know, one year past warranty we have two somewhat large cracks on the lip of the tub.. approx 3.5" long. We've drilled small holes, as instructed, to stop the cracks.. but now ... what product will do the best repair/filler job? Does anyone have experience with repairing the Endurol shell, which is the hard white thermoplastic?

I'd love to hear from you. ... any info would be appreciated. We're hoping to get a few more years out of this tub before replacing :)

Thanks!

Do you have a Hotspring dealer in your area? The reason that I'm asking is the shell can be repaired back to original condition but its a little tricky to do so you may want to find a dealer to fix it or call and check with the service techs in your area and see if any of them have done those type of repairs. If its done right you'll never know there was a crack.

Do you have a Hotspring dealer in your area? The reason that I'm asking is the shell can be repaired back to original condition but its a little tricky to do so you may want to find a dealer to fix it or call and check with the service techs in your area and see if any of them have done those type of repairs. If its done right you'll never know there was a crack.

Thats a suprise that a full foam spa leaks. I wonder how a crack formed on a shell, I actually never thought of that happening except when I picture a tree falling on it. The shell is easy to fix from my understanding but can be a little costly. Do you think the circulating pump went bad because it runs 24hrs.? hmmm I wish you the best of luck and happiness for your spa

Thats a suprise that a full foam spa leaks. I wonder how a crack formed on a shell, I actually never thought of that happening except when I picture a tree falling on it. The shell is easy to fix from my understanding but can be a little costly. Do you think the circulating pump went bad because it runs 24hrs.? hmmm I wish you the best of luck and happiness for your spa

Thanks to both replies! Hot Springs is going to come give an estimate to fix it. They also sell a product to fix it ourselves - $82.50. So we'll see which we choose. Will post the result here, when finished. We do, however, have to wait until the weather warms up to fix it. I believe it has to be above 50*.

The shell is not leaking - luckily both cracks are on the lip of the tub... from the edge (which wraps around over the top of the wood base) and is approx 3.5" long... gaping at times to a good 1/8" wide at the start of the crack.. and ending on the top ledge of the tub, where we drilled the holes to stop the cracks. We sure hope this will be successful :)

Thanks again

Thanks to both replies! Hot Springs is going to come give an estimate to fix it. They also sell a product to fix it ourselves - $82.50. So we'll see which we choose. Will post the result here, when finished. We do, however, have to wait until the weather warms up to fix it. I believe it has to be above 50*.

The shell is not leaking - luckily both cracks are on the lip of the tub... from the edge (which wraps around over the top of the wood base) and is approx 3.5" long... gaping at times to a good 1/8" wide at the start of the crack.. and ending on the top ledge of the tub, where we drilled the holes to stop the cracks. We sure hope this will be successful :)

Thanks again

At least they sell the kit to fix yourself. They must have these problems pretty often but that is wonderful that you have a chance. I wish you the best

At least they sell the kit to fix yourself. They must have these problems pretty often but that is wonderful that you have a chance. I wish you the best

Because they sell a kit to fix it that means they must have these problems pretty often? I guess if a manufacturer sells parts to fix there spa that means they have a lot of problems. I would call that just good customer service.

Thanks again

kargrego,

Glad to hear you got it handled and your right you do want to wait until the temp. is 50 degrees or warmer before you attempt it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again

Was it successful Kargrego?

Was it successful Kargrego?

I won't know for awhile... I'm in Green Bay and it's still quite cold here :( I may have to wait another month or so before fixing it. But I will surely let you know :)

The good news is that drilling the small hole at the point of each 3+" crack has stopped them from continuing. Hope it ikeeps working!

Thanks!

I won't know for awhile... I'm in Green Bay and it's still quite cold here :( I may have to wait another month or so before fixing it. But I will surely let you know :)

The good news is that drilling the small hole at the point of each 3+" crack has stopped them from continuing. Hope it ikeeps working!

Thanks!

Good luck with that

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to worry abotu the crack continuing now. Once the weather clears you can make a final patch and you should be good to go.