? About Bypass Filtration

Caren

On low speed (filter speed) the bypass flappers (little spring loaded flappers that close the bypass plumbing) should be closed or something is messed up. This means all the water is going to the filter. Are certain brands better at making sure theres no dead spots in the tub that never get filtered, I am sure, but no one can say whether there brand moves water better towords the filter during filtration. Water is kinda a weird thing, clean and dirty wil mix together and you'll never know it happened. And Brulan you keep saying Coleman has no bypass fitration and this is simply not true, why do you keep saying it?

I can tell you that filtration has never been an issue on my cheap brand, nor anyone elses cheap or expensive brand. It is simply a non issue used to sell tubs. It takes a proper water care routine to get clean, clear water and this includes a certain amount of filtration that varys by user, simple.

Thanks for all your help. Since the HS was not my favorite and it seems like the filtration thing is not a huge issue, I can at least now cross that off my list.

Caren

But...and I will throw this out there just because no one else mentioned it. Say the Hot Spring is moving 10-20 gallons per minute through the circ pump for 24/7 (and I don't know how much is moving so I am making up the number. So multiply this times how ever many minutes are in an hour and in a day to come up with how much water it is moving. Now take a pump that moves 90-120 gallons per minute and multiply that times how ever many minutes you choose to filter in a day and tell me which is more.
Your assumption is correct. There are tubs which move many more gallons of water per day. But if those tubs have dirty filters, they may very well be simply bypassing a large percentage of that water and not filtering it. In a HotSpring, the idea is that if your tub is not being used today, you don't need to kick in the big filtration today. The smaller flow through the circ pump will suffice. It is one of the many reasons HotSpring tubs tend to cost less to run - you are not running the jet pumps unless you are enjoying the jets.

There is no one 'best' way - though I sell HotSpring and I like the no-bypass approach. In fact, I have Tiger River and Caldera running alongside of HotSpring and the HS is generally less work for us to keep nice and clean/clear. I know most customers don't have a side-by-side comparison in their backyard, so they will not notice the difference - and none of the systems are bad.

One last item: If I walk over and hit the ten-minute 'clean cycle' on any of the three brands in my showroom, the HotSpring will be the one which did the most filtering because ALL of the water the jet pump is moving is going through filters. The other tubs will filter a percentage of the water, and I might have to run them for an hour or more to get the same amount of filtering. From a practical standpoint, I have noticed for years that the HotSpring system will clear a cloudy tub faster. On the same topic, somebody already posted that most tubs with multiple jet pumps only filter on one of the jet pumps. In a HotSpring, you can get twice the filtration by (manually) turning on the second jet pump: all the water now moving will be filtered. This is where the HS really shines in my opinion.

Your assumption is correct. There are tubs which move many more gallons of water per day. But if those tubs have dirty filters, they may very well be simply bypassing a large percentage of that water and not filtering it. In a HotSpring, the idea is that if your tub is not being used today, you don't need to kick in the big filtration today. The smaller flow through the circ pump will suffice. It is one of the many reasons HotSpring tubs tend to cost less to run - you are not running the jet pumps unless you are enjoying the jets.

There is no one 'best' way - though I sell HotSpring and I like the no-bypass approach. In fact, I have Tiger River and Caldera running alongside of HotSpring and the HS is generally less work for us to keep nice and clean/clear. I know most customers don't have a side-by-side comparison in their backyard, so they will not notice the difference - and none of the systems are bad.

One last item: If I walk over and hit the ten-minute 'clean cycle' on any of the three brands in my showroom, the HotSpring will be the one which did the most filtering because ALL of the water the jet pump is moving is going through filters. The other tubs will filter a percentage of the water, and I might have to run them for an hour or more to get the same amount of filtering. From a practical standpoint, I have noticed for years that the HotSpring system will clear a cloudy tub faster. On the same topic, somebody already posted that most tubs with multiple jet pumps only filter on one of the jet pumps. In a HotSpring, you can get twice the filtration by (manually) turning on the second jet pump: all the water now moving will be filtered. This is where the HS really shines in my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me Chuck I do like the no bypass filtration thing. I like a small, quiet, energy effiecient circulation pump also. It makes alot of sense. It is one of a few methods of fitration that work well.

Are there any disadvantages to the no bypass Hotspring method? I've heard some people say that Hotspring typically has lower jet pressure than some of the other manufacturers that use bypass filtration. Is this true? Since all of the water has to go through the filters before it hits the jets perhaps the jet pressure will be diminished.

Are there any disadvantages to the no bypass Hotspring method? I've heard some people say that Hotspring typically has lower jet pressure than some of the other manufacturers that use bypass filtration. Is this true? Since all of the water has to go through the filters before it hits the jets perhaps the jet pressure will be diminished.

Lower jet pressure from someone elses opinion of jet pressure. You will never know if it has lower jet pressure until you wet test to decide this. Low for someone else does not mean low for you.

Everyones opinion of jet pressure varys. I like mine low and soothing. Others like theres hard and ramming.

Lower jet pressure from someone elses opinion of jet pressure. You will never know if it has lower jet pressure until you wet test to decide this. Low for someone else does not mean low for you.

Everyones opinion of jet pressure varys. I like mine low and soothing. Others like theres hard and ramming.

Roger has a very valid point. I like my jets to be as powerful as possible in my tub. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys them strong for only short periods of time and then lower and more soothing. This is why you can adjust the jets on tubs, varying the air mixture, the power, diverting pressure to various seats, etc. If i adjust the jets all to one seat with pumps on high, and lots of air i can pretty much blow myself out of the seat, lol (hmmm, this could be a good feature to get rid of unwanted guests, lol). Wet testing is the only way to decide if jets are powerful enough for you or not.

OK, I own a new HP Hotspring model. The jet pressure is sufficient for me but it is fairly weak compared to a Sundance Optima or a Caldera Geneva that I have wet tested. All three tubs have similar sized pumps and number of jets. My question is, why is the Hotspring jet pressure so much weaker? Is it due to the no Bypass filtering method or is by design? In theory, does no Bypass filtering weaken the jet pressure since all the water must go through the filters?

Roger has a very valid point. I like my jets to be as powerful as possible in my tub. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys them strong for only short periods of time and then lower and more soothing. This is why you can adjust the jets on tubs, varying the air mixture, the power, diverting pressure to various seats, etc. If i adjust the jets all to one seat with pumps on high, and lots of air i can pretty much blow myself out of the seat, lol (hmmm, this could be a good feature to get rid of unwanted guests, lol). Wet testing is the only way to decide if jets are powerful enough for you or not.

OK, I own a new HP Hotspring model. The jet pressure is sufficient for me but it is fairly weak compared to a Sundance Optima or a Caldera Geneva that I have wet tested. All three tubs have similar sized pumps and number of jets. My question is, why is the Hotspring jet pressure so much weaker? Is it due to the no Bypass filtering method or is by design? In theory, does no Bypass filtering weaken the jet pressure since all the water must go through the filters?

Im curious you mention the specific Caldera and Sundance models but you dont mention the model of Hotspring. If you are comparing the two systems in my opinion no bypass is not going to be weaker. The flow rates are calculated with the filters calculated into the equation so that you get the same flow rates as a bypass system.

Now if you get someone who doesnt take care of their spa and they let their filters get dirty that can slow your flow rates down on a no bypass system.

Sorry Sharkman, I own an Envoy. I thought I included that. I love the spa but the jet pressure is on the weaker side compared to the competition. I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing. Have you wet tested the other models that I'm referring to? When you do you'll know what I'm referring to.

Im curious you mention the specific Caldera and Sundance models but you dont mention the model of Hotspring. If you are comparing the two systems in my opinion no bypass is not going to be weaker. The flow rates are calculated with the filters calculated into the equation so that you get the same flow rates as a bypass system.

Now if you get someone who doesnt take care of their spa and they let their filters get dirty that can slow your flow rates down on a no bypass system.

Sorry Sharkman, I own an Envoy. I thought I included that. I love the spa but the jet pressure is on the weaker side compared to the competition. I'm not saying that this is a good or bad thing. Have you wet tested the other models that I'm referring to? When you do you'll know what I'm referring to.

I havent sat in the Geneva but I have a friend who has the Optima. I have not noticed any difference in his jet pressure. How does it compare when you compare their Whirlpool Jet to the Jetstream jet? Part of the problem is there is a big variety of jets in each and all of them feel different.

The Sundance Whirlpool jet feels much stronger to me than the Jetstream IMHO. I'm not sure if there is a method to measure jet force with some type of force gage or not? The Caldera jet systems also are much stronger than the Hotspring models even though they are both made by Watkins with similar sized pumps and jet configurations. The only difference that is apparent is the bypass versus no-bypass design. That's why I thought that perhaps the difference was related to the different filtration methods.

Don't get me wrong. I chose the Hotspring spa because overall I liked it better than the other brands. The only downside in my opinion, is that the jet pressure is much lighter than some other manufacturers. I believe Chas on this site sell both Hotspring and Caldera. Perhaps he can shed some light on this topic since I am just a consumer.

I havent sat in the Geneva but I have a friend who has the Optima. I have not noticed any difference in his jet pressure. How does it compare when you compare their Whirlpool Jet to the Jetstream jet? Part of the problem is there is a big variety of jets in each and all of them feel different.

The Sundance Whirlpool jet feels much stronger to me than the Jetstream IMHO. I'm not sure if there is a method to measure jet force with some type of force gage or not? The Caldera jet systems also are much stronger than the Hotspring models even though they are both made by Watkins with similar sized pumps and jet configurations. The only difference that is apparent is the bypass versus no-bypass design. That's why I thought that perhaps the difference was related to the different filtration methods.

Don't get me wrong. I chose the Hotspring spa because overall I liked it better than the other brands. The only downside in my opinion, is that the jet pressure is much lighter than some other manufacturers. I believe Chas on this site sell both Hotspring and Caldera. Perhaps he can shed some light on this topic since I am just a consumer.

That is a good point! bypass would probably give you a stronger force and a more vigurous message rather than in my opinion a nice soothing message that cover a wider circumfrance

When we did the wet-test on the HS the two things I liked the best was filtration and variety. I really liked the fact that the different seats had different jet setups and as far as power I had to turn them down after about 10 minutes because they were too much on my neck. Once adjusted as needed I found them nice. We have another 2 weeks before our HS Vanguard is delivered!!

When we did the wet-test on the HS the two things I liked the best was filtration and variety. I really liked the fact that the different seats had different jet setups and as far as power I had to turn them down after about 10 minutes because they were too much on my neck. Once adjusted as needed I found them nice. We have another 2 weeks before our HS Vanguard is delivered!!

Congratulations on your new spa. Let us know how you like it once you get it installed.

Congrats on your new Vangaurd. Nice decision

Hot Springs make a fine spa. It filters very very well but no bypass is a bit misleading. For anyone who wants to try something go and crumble up a hand full of popped pop corn ( no butter ) toss it in the spa and close the lid come back in an hour and see if its still in the tub, now do not hit the clean up cycle but just let it filter in its normal manner. Try the same thing with say a Coleman or a Marquis come back in ten minutes and see what you find, if you are not in a filter mode you will need to turn on the pump it filters with. My point is that there is more than just saying we have no bypass. It is my understanding that only one of the filters on a Hot Springs is truly "no pass" but those spas with 3 or 5 filters not all are no bypass. Again this is my understanding and if I am incorrect please let me know.

PDC spas have pressure side filtration. no skimmer at all. Every gallon of water is filtered through. The popcorn would not even go into the filter because it would be stopped at the intake(s).

PDC spas have pressure side filtration. no skimmer at all. Every gallon of water is filtered through. The popcorn would not even go into the filter because it would be stopped at the intake(s).

Thats interesting. I did see the PDC at both shows