? About Bypass Filtration

Caren

I am considering a few different hot tubs. The closest dealer-which sells both D1and Hotsprings (also charges $89 trip charge for warranty service) said that only HS has 100% filtration when the pumps are in use. Is this true? LA spa dealer says that their tubs continue to filter when pumps are in use and I can't remember what the Catalina dealer said. I do want my tub to be filtered when I am in it. Help... i am soooo confused.

Caren

My store in Breckenridge, CO maintains 120 spas each week for customers. We do chemical balance, add water, drain/fill, basically keep the tub clean for the second home owner. Every brand of spa, not one stays that much cleaner then the other. The way the spa stays clean is who actually uses the spa. Who checks the chemicals, and how clean the people who enter the spa are.

So filtration should be a concern, but make sure you WET TEST!!!!

Oh ya make sure you WET TEST!!

You should also feel comfortable with the dealer your buying the spa from.

Michael

dan is correct, all other spas bypass the filters with some of the water, but most turn over the entire body of through the filters many times during a filtration cycle which imho is what matters. I agree with michael 100% no bypass does not necceasarily equate to a cleanr spa, it definitely does not hurt, but there are many other factors involved.

dan is correct, all other spas bypass the filters with some of the water, but most turn over the entire body of through the filters many times during a filtration cycle which imho is what matters. I agree with michael 100% no bypass does not necceasarily equate to a cleanr spa, it definitely does not hurt, but there are many other factors involved.

I believe unless you have people in the spa pushing the water towards the area of the filters it is not being filtered 100percent. Hotsprings and Coleman have 100percent

I believe unless you have people in the spa pushing the water towards the area of the filters it is not being filtered 100percent. Hotsprings and Coleman have 100percent

Brulan,

Coleman doesn't have the 100% no-bypass mentioned previously so what exactly are you trying to say when you say Coleman "has 100%"?

That is a new, vague term I'm not familiar with.

I am considering a few different hot tubs. The closest dealer-which sells both D1and Hotsprings (also charges $89 trip charge for warranty service) said that only HS has 100% filtration when the pumps are in use. Is this true? LA spa dealer says that their tubs continue to filter when pumps are in use and I can't remember what the Catalina dealer said. I do want my tub to be filtered when I am in it. Help... i am soooo confused.

Caren

Caren,

To answer your question, yes what they are telling you is true. But they should have explained to you what that means as it sounds like your getting confused from the different stories your getting. As you look at the different spas out ther one thing you will notice is most spas have one or two filters in them. On those systems when you turn the jet pumps on they can not get all of the water that they need through the filters so a bypass line is plumbed into the footwell area. This bypass line usually has a valve plumbed into it that requires a high flow rate to open so when the pump that is used as the circulation pump is running on low speed this valve will be closed and all of the water going through that pump is being filtered. When you turn the jets on the valves open and some of the water is now passing straight through the system and not being filtered. When you look at these spas you'll see suction screens in the footwell area. The more jet pumps there are the more screens you will see. The bypass systems do continue to filter the water while your using the jets it just doesnt filter all of it. The one exception to this will be if you get a spa that has a two jet pump system one of the pumps will usually be plumbed into the system without going through the filters and if you were using only that pump that water would not be filtered.

When you look at the Hotsprings you will see that it has more filters in it and no suction ports in the footwell. The circulation pump will have its own filter and each jet pump will have two filters so that enough water can flow through to supply each pump. In this situation all of the water is being filtered as it passes through the system. As far as I know up to this date Hotsprings is the only brand with no bypass. Catalina is a bypass system. I hope I didnt add to your confussion.

Caren,

To answer your question, yes what they are telling you is true. But they should have explained to you what that means as it sounds like your getting confused from the different stories your getting. As you look at the different spas out ther one thing you will notice is most spas have one or two filters in them. On those systems when you turn the jet pumps on they can not get all of the water that they need through the filters so a bypass line is plumbed into the footwell area. This bypass line usually has a valve plumbed into it that requires a high flow rate to open so when the pump that is used as the circulation pump is running on low speed this valve will be closed and all of the water going through that pump is being filtered. When you turn the jets on the valves open and some of the water is now passing straight through the system and not being filtered. When you look at these spas you'll see suction screens in the footwell area. The more jet pumps there are the more screens you will see. The bypass systems do continue to filter the water while your using the jets it just doesnt filter all of it. The one exception to this will be if you get a spa that has a two jet pump system one of the pumps will usually be plumbed into the system without going through the filters and if you were using only that pump that water would not be filtered.

When you look at the Hotsprings you will see that it has more filters in it and no suction ports in the footwell. The circulation pump will have its own filter and each jet pump will have two filters so that enough water can flow through to supply each pump. In this situation all of the water is being filtered as it passes through the system. As far as I know up to this date Hotsprings is the only brand with no bypass. Catalina is a bypass system. I hope I didnt add to your confussion.

Very well explained Sharkman.

Hot Springs make a fine spa. It filters very very well but no bypass is a bit misleading. For anyone who wants to try something go and crumble up a hand full of popped pop corn ( no butter ) toss it in the spa and close the lid come back in an hour and see if its still in the tub, now do not hit the clean up cycle but just let it filter in its normal manner. Try the same thing with say a Coleman or a Marquis come back in ten minutes and see what you find, if you are not in a filter mode you will need to turn on the pump it filters with. My point is that there is more than just saying we have no bypass. It is my understanding that only one of the filters on a Hot Springs is truly "no pass" but those spas with 3 or 5 filters not all are no bypass. Again this is my understanding and if I am incorrect please let me know.

My point is that there is more than just saying we have no bypass. It is my understanding that only one of the filters on a Hot Springs is truly "no pass" but those spas with 3 or 5 filters not all are no bypass. Again this is my understanding and if I am incorrect please let me know.

Hot Springs is 100% no-bypass. That means 100% of the water that goes into the circ pump goes completely through it's single filter and all the water that goes into the pump(s) also goes completely through it's filters (2 filters/pump) without any bypass. It's not the only way to do it, it's just a differnet way that the others out there.

Hot Springs is 100% no-bypass. That means 100% of the water that goes into the circ pump goes completely through it's single filter and all the water that goes into the pump(s) also goes completely through it's filters (2 filters/pump) without any bypass. It's not the only way to do it, it's just a differnet way that the others out there.

I take that than yes I am correct. My reason for my post was that I think some people have the impression that all of the filters are no bypass. Anyone up to try the pop corn. As you state spatech there are others ways that work and for some a " Hi Flow" system offers certain advantages as you say there are several ways to filter and each will offer some benefits that the others will not. Your well made spas all by and large do a nice job of keeping your water clean, provided that you keep up your end. (keeping it balanced and sanitized)

Hot Springs make a fine spa. It filters very very well but no bypass is a bit misleading. For anyone who wants to try something go and crumble up a hand full of popped pop corn ( no butter ) toss it in the spa and close the lid come back in an hour and see if its still in the tub, now do not hit the clean up cycle but just let it filter in its normal manner. Try the same thing with say a Coleman or a Marquis come back in ten minutes and see what you find, if you are not in a filter mode you will need to turn on the pump it filters with. My point is that there is more than just saying we have no bypass. It is my understanding that only one of the filters on a Hot Springs is truly "no pass" but those spas with 3 or 5 filters not all are no bypass. Again this is my understanding and if I am incorrect please let me know.

The Hotsprings has no bypass lines on the there pumps. All of the filters are no bypass. What you are reffering to is the skimming action and the reason you see what you are describing in a Hotspring spa is the circulation pump does not draw enough water through the filter compartment to draw the skimmer blade down. All of the pumps do filter the water with the Hotsprings.

The Hotsprings has no bypass lines on the there pumps. All of the filters are no bypass. What you are reffering to is the skimming action and the reason you see what you are describing in a Hotspring spa is the circulation pump does not draw enough water through the filter compartment to draw the skimmer blade down. All of the pumps do filter the water with the Hotsprings.

This a contradiction to my understanding and also what spa tech wrote, It is my understanding that only one filter is plumbed to the circ pump.

I purchased a D1 in November. I wet tested both Hotsprings and D1. While the 100% no-bypass filtering on the Hotsprings seemed appealing, I liked the jets better in the D1 and that ultimately helped me make my mind.

I think if you choose either tub, you will be satisfied, if the water is clean, clear, odor free, and sparkling. Both tubs will perform enough filtering to make that happen, but you, the tub owner will still need to keep your pool maintained on weekly basis from a chemical. I maintain my tub 2-3 times weekly. It takes me less than 5 min each time, and my water is great.

This a contradiction to my understanding and also what spa tech wrote, It is my understanding that only one filter is plumbed to the circ pump.

As I said before and spa tech said none of the pumps have a bypass on a Hotspring spa.

And I dont think anywhere in my description of the systems did I say that it was the best way or only way to circulate a spa. I simply tried to explain how the two systems work. You can debate the two till your blue in the face. Techs and dealers all have theyre opinions on whats best. Full foam vs non. Circ. pump vs Jet pump. Different framing systems. Blower vs non blower. Just as this customer said she is already confused from all of the different stories and I was giving her a description of the systems and then she can decide.

There are no intakes in the footwell of a HotSpring, the intakes are in the filter compartment with filters on them, the water has nowhere else to go except through the filters. This means that all the water that is coming out of the jets is filtered 100%, it also means that all the spa junk, like hair, dead skin & pop corn is not entering your pump impellar or heater system. I thought sharkman explained that pretty well.

hers what spatech said "Hot Springs is 100% no-bypass. That means 100% of the water that goes into the circ pump goes completely through it's single filter and all the water that goes into the pump(s) also goes completely through it's filters (2 filters/pump) without any bypass. It's not the only way to do it, it's just a differnet way that the others out there"

You seem to be getting heated sharkman. Go back read what I wrote I never said it was bad I never another was better only different and I agree with the poster who seemed to pretty much echo what I wrote that all well made spas with proper care will keep your water clean. It is just that there are other ways to filter besides the Hot Springs way and while Hot Springs does a great job in filtering it also has its short comings its like most things in life to gain something here you may have to give up something there.

I purchased a D1 in November. I wet tested both Hotsprings and D1. While the 100% no-bypass filtering on the Hotsprings seemed appealing, I liked the jets better in the D1 and that ultimately helped me make my mind.

I think if you choose either tub, you will be satisfied, if the water is clean, clear, odor free, and sparkling. Both tubs will perform enough filtering to make that happen, but you, the tub owner will still need to keep your pool maintained on weekly basis from a chemical. I maintain my tub 2-3 times weekly. It takes me less than 5 min each time, and my water is great.

You picked a good spa. And your right looking at the filtering system as the reason to buy a spa is a bad idea. You have to obviously look at the product but you have to look at the dealer and theyre history of service. And as you said the comfort of the spa.

One brand might be better tthan another but if your not comfortable in it your going to hate it.

My point is that there is more than just saying we have no bypass. It is my understanding that only one of the filters on a Hot Springs is truly "no pass" but those spas with 3 or 5 filters not all are no bypass. Again this is my understanding and if I am incorrect please let me know.

This is where you were mistaken in the post you made earlier. ALL of the Hot Springs filters are 100% no bypass, not just the filter tied to the circ pump. The circ pump draws 100% of its water through 1 filter dedicated soley to it (which is why you'll hear people say that the circ pump filter is always dirtiest being that it runs 24/7). At the same time each main pump has 2 other filters solely dedicated to it (no intakes in the footwell, all the water flows over the weir) so the pump water is 100% no bypass as well.

hers what spatech said "Hot Springs is 100% no-bypass. That means 100% of the water that goes into the circ pump goes completely through it's single filter and all the water that goes into the pump(s) also goes completely through it's filters (2 filters/pump) without any bypass. It's not the only way to do it, it's just a differnet way that the others out there"

You seem to be getting heated sharkman. Go back read what I wrote I never said it was bad I never another was better only different and I agree with the poster who seemed to pretty much echo what I wrote that all well made spas with proper care will keep your water clean. It is just that there are other ways to filter besides the Hot Springs way and while Hot Springs does a great job in filtering it also has its short comings its like most things in life to gain something here you may have to give up something there.

No I'm not getting heated I'm just trying to explain that I was very carefull not to knock one or the other and that wasnt directed at you stallion that was in response to spa tech saying thats not the only way to do it.

The part I was explaining to you is that there is no bypass on Hotsprings. All of the water going through any pump has to go through a filter first. So dont take that as me getting defensive. Its kind of hard to type something and have it not come acroos as having an attitude.

No I'm not getting heated I'm just trying to explain that I was very carefull not to knock one or the other and that wasnt directed at you stallion that was in response to spa tech saying thats not the only way to do it.

The part I was explaining to you is that there is no bypass on Hotsprings. All of the water going through any pump has to go through a filter first. So dont take that as me getting defensive. Its kind of hard to type something and have it not come acroos as having an attitude.

fair enough :)

fair enough :)

But...and I will throw this out there just because no one else mentioned it. Say the Hot Spring is moving 10-20 gallons per minute through the circ pump for 24/7 (and I don't know how much is moving so I am making up the number. So multiply this times how ever many minutes are in an hour and in a day to come up with how much water it is moving. Now take a pump that moves 90-120 gallons per minute and multiply that times how ever many minutes you choose to filter in a day and tell me which is more.

I didn't get my calculator out because I don't fell like looking up the true numbers on the Hot Spring circ pump and say the Marquis jet pump on low speed for say 6-8 hours a day of filtering.

But I thimk you will find that the Marquis will move more water across the filter.

And I am not knocking any brand either just poimting out that both ways will filter enough.

But...and I will throw this out there just because no one else mentioned it. Say the Hot Spring is moving 10-20 gallons per minute through the circ pump for 24/7 (and I don't know how much is moving so I am making up the number. So multiply this times how ever many minutes are in an hour and in a day to come up with how much water it is moving. Now take a pump that moves 90-120 gallons per minute and multiply that times how ever many minutes you choose to filter in a day and tell me which is more.

I didn't get my calculator out because I don't fell like looking up the true numbers on the Hot Spring circ pump and say the Marquis jet pump on low speed for say 6-8 hours a day of filtering.

But I thimk you will find that the Marquis will move more water across the filter.

And I am not knocking any brand either just poimting out that both ways will filter enough.

Theoretically but say you are not moving the water towards the pump, are you filtering that water with a circulating pump or do you need not have bypass eliminated so that all the water is filtered?

Theoretically but say you are not moving the water towards the pump, are you filtering that water with a circulating pump or do you need not have bypass eliminated so that all the water is filtered?

On low speed (filter speed) the bypass flappers (little spring loaded flappers that close the bypass plumbing) should be closed or something is messed up. This means all the water is going to the filter. Are certain brands better at making sure theres no dead spots in the tub that never get filtered, I am sure, but no one can say whether there brand moves water better towords the filter during filtration. Water is kinda a weird thing, clean and dirty wil mix together and you'll never know it happened. And Brulan you keep saying Coleman has no bypass fitration and this is simply not true, why do you keep saying it?

I can tell you that filtration has never been an issue on my cheap brand, nor anyone elses cheap or expensive brand. It is simply a non issue used to sell tubs. It takes a proper water care routine to get clean, clear water and this includes a certain amount of filtration that varys by user, simple.