Foundation For New Hot Tub

hoopy

I will be finally getting my hot tub delivered this week (a D1 Diplomat.) I am curious what many of you on here used as the foundation for putting your hot tub on. I choose to use pea gravel. I dug out about 3 inches down, made a rough level, then put the pea gravel down. I found out that the pea gravel doesn't pack well as I tamped it down as best I could, but it still moves somewhat when I walk on it. Could this be a problem when installing the hot tub on it?

I will be finally getting my hot tub delivered this week (a D1 Diplomat.) I am curious what many of you on here used as the foundation for putting your hot tub on. I choose to use pea gravel. I dug out about 3 inches down, made a rough level, then put the pea gravel down. I found out that the pea gravel doesn't pack well as I tamped it down as best I could, but it still moves somewhat when I walk on it. Could this be a problem when installing the hot tub on it?

the gravel does not need to be packed down, however I usually advise customers to have a frame around the gravel to keep it in place and a minimum of 4" of gravel is best

the gravel does not need to be packed down, however I usually advise customers to have a frame around the gravel to keep it in place and a minimum of 4" of gravel is best

I agree with having a frame for the gravel... and I usually suggest 5/8ths minus... when tamped down it sticks together pretty well and isn't rounded pebbles that roll against each other. I suggest a gravel foundation only if the bottom of the spa is an abs plastic bottom.

Since I dug down about 3", doesn't that count then as a frame? I checked with D1 about the Diplomat, and it lists the 'Wet Weight as about 3100 lbs." Once the tub is in place, it should be easy to level within the pea gravel, right? Also, when its filled with water, that much weight (once it's leveled) shouldn't move, right?

Since I dug down about 3", doesn't that count then as a frame? I checked with D1 about the Diplomat, and it lists the 'Wet Weight as about 3100 lbs." Once the tub is in place, it should be easy to level within the pea gravel, right? Also, when its filled with water, that much weight (once it's leveled) shouldn't move, right?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 6" concrete slab? We are in the process of price quoting for the same.

It was a lot because no one wanted to do such a small job. I think it was something like $1250...I'll have to see if I can find the receipt. We're in Florida.

If you stay with one concrete guy and you get him over 300 spa's a year it will keep him busy and should charge no more than 850 dollars and I am in NY

If you're handy, pour your own concrete slab. I put in a 7x7 slab, 6" thick, with rebar every 8". Probably overkill, but as en engineer I tend to overdesign everything I do.

Total cost was less than $200.

If you're having a contractor pour the slab, be sure it's adequately re-enforced.

Anytime you put down gravel for anything, be it a driveway or foundation for your tub, you should frame it somehow. Even though you dig down 3", the gravel can still slip out a bit and over time you will lose much of it (the gravel around the edges of your tub). Put a frame that is just slightly higher than the ground level so that 1) the outlaying earth does not wash in to your gravel and 2) your gravel has less of a chance to move outwards. A couple of 2x6's should do it, if even that is needed. I could be wrong, but this is what i was told by a friend of mine who lays out gravel for driveways, concrete, etc (it was a while ago, so could be getting a bit mixed up, but seems to make sense). Personally, i build a wood deck that was just slightly raised (6" above ground is the top of it), it's 10' x 12' and i have a 7' tub placed to one corner of it. This helps keep my tub clean by not stepping in directly from the ground, it also looks nice. You can acheive the same with concrete or by going a large enough area with your pea gravel (but pea gravel isn't as nice to walk on in bare feet as concrete or wood). Hope this helps.

How about "spa pads?" The ones I see in the ads are six interlocked pads which form a 96" x 96" base for a tub. I was going to pour a concrete pad, but why bother if these things work? If I want to move the tub in a couple of years, I won't have a chunk of concrete to bust up. They also look like they might have some insulation value. Does anyone out there have any experience with them? Mr. Ed

We just got done pouring a slab for our future spa (still researching). I had a 15'x20' slab poured at a cost of $900. Found a guy off of craigslist that did the work for me. Concrete cost was around $450 then I guess labor and the other supplies were the other $450. He had it done in 2 days......

We just got done pouring a slab for our future spa (still researching). I had a 15'x20' slab poured at a cost of $900. Found a guy off of craigslist that did the work for me. Concrete cost was around $450 then I guess labor and the other supplies were the other $450. He had it done in 2 days......

That is a great price for that size slab regardless of your location. Good job