"bid Etiquette"

Mr. B.

:unsure:

Would anyone know the "etiquette" of comparing bids?

We currently have 4 bids/designs that are similar, but different.

All of which appear to be reasonable and respectable.

Would it be a "breach of etiquette" to show each builder the other

three competing bids/designs? We like the design on one, the rocks/waterfalls

of another, the equipment of the third and the warranty of the last. What better way

than to point at specific things, and say I like this, this and this. It sure would make it

more of an apples to apples comparison.

It seems the more information and research you do...the harder

it gets to compare and choose too?

Thanks for any and all input.

of another, the equipment of the third and the warranty of the last. What better way

than to point at specific things, and say I like this, this and this. It sure would make it

certianly not an ediquitee breach to compare bids.

I would not show each builder the other's bids. The sales guy is just going to pick it apart anyway. the best thing you can do is start comparing. If it were me, I would not be thinking so much price, but going with who give you the best feeling. do a test. call the office of each one for some BS made up reason. see who is nicest to you and who returns your calls fastest....

Alot of dealers out there will criticise their competition, and not give you the correct information on other hot tubs. so no I would not give out any information, but rather get as much information as possible from their brochures and websites and go home and compare the prices. In the end it is your decision. I invite my customers to try the spas and give them as much information as I can. If they ask I give them other dealer locations to go to who are the same quality and make them feel comfortable to go shop around.

There is no reason you not to show your bid to the other companies. While some pool builders may take offense, it is reasonable to discuss the quotes. However, trying to create the perfect builder by marrying the attributes of each may be more of a problem than a solution. If you change equipment the crews may have trouble installing equipment which they are not accustomed to, or a builder will commit to a water feature he does not fully understand. My suggestion is bring the number down first and then do the final negotiation so that the companies know it is either them or a competitor. Otherwise the one you want may just pull out because they think you are simply trying to wittle down his or her price.

• 2 months later...

I interviewed a pool designer who gave me an idea I liked, and that was to have a design all done up exactly as you want it, then show it to builders and have them bid on the exact same thing. Then you truly have an apples to apples comparison. I stopped getting bids after I had interviewed her, but when we start the process again that is what I plan on doing.