Bromine Tablet Shelf Life

Greetings,

We've got our spa (Coast Spa Bahama Soundwaves) up and running, and after the first month things are well in line. Our misc levels are in good shape(PH, alkalinity, bromine, etc...), and stay there. We used too much bromine early on (readings up to 20ppm) , but finally got the floating dispenser adjusted correctly and everythings just fine. I think it had to do with us running the ozonator 10 hours a day, but given how nasty the spa was when we bought the house, you could understand why.

My question has to do with buying in bulk. My wife and I tend to buy in bulk things we know we will use. Bromine tablets for the spa are going to be one of those things. If I buy a 50lb tub/bin of bromine tablets, can I expect they will remain good for a year or two? No need to try and save money by bying in bulk only to end up throwing it out because it doesn't last.

Thanks for the info, and have a great day.

Dave

Good question. 50lbs! I just bought the bigger size thing of LeasureTime tablets from Leslies and I expect that will last me all season. 4lbs size. I'm sure it'd be good for a few years, if you keep it stored in a cool dry place, such as inside your house. I wouldn't want to store it inside my house. Anyway, seems to me you've got yourself a 10 year supply of Bromine!!! Bet you won't even keep your mortgage that long. You could keep 10lbs and sell the rest on craigslist. Probably make a few bucks.

That 50lb size is for a bromine pool, I expect.

Watch out on the bulk thing, especially for pool chemicals. Considering the space and initial cost and the potential for chemical hazards and degridation, I doubt it is worth it.

itabb,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't bought 50lbs YET (because I don't know the shelflife), but when we do buy in bulk it will be more than the 6lb container I bought a month ago (and which we are plumb out of). That said, you bring up a very good point, particuarly how much will we use in a 'normal' time period. For that, I'll have to own and operate the spa for more than the month I've been using it. =8^D Additionally, your storage observation is a good one: unless I get the chemicals in sealed containers (or do so myself), I'll need to consider the wear/tear ofl keeping it in the garage year round. Thus, 50lbs may be way over the top whereas 25lbs may be a much better choice.

I do know (from just a month owning/operating) that our 500 gallon tub takes a fair bit of sanitizer. It could be due to us using it 4 nights a week, with several parties included in that time period. I've also got one additional drain/fill cycle to consider becuase of some repair work I need to do on one side (plumbing leak, soaked foam and rotted support).

Excellent points, and I'm thankful you brought them up.

Have a great day,

Dave

I find that my bromine burn rate is pretty consistant. 3 tablets a week. If you need increased bromine levels, you should be shocking to regenerate the bromine from the sodium bromide bank. You are putting in several oz. of the granuals when you start up from a refill? And then you are shocking immediately with bleach to activate? If you are somehow relying on the bromine tablets to bring up your bromine levels alone, then you would need to set your brominator to max and give it a few weeks, I suppose. If you shock with chlorine after each use, I wouldn't expect you to use the tablets so fast.

How about posting a full set of stats and describe your start up. You may have other problems if you are using so much bromine tablets. I am still on a 1.5 lbs jar I started using in January.