D1 Californian: How's This Deal Sound?

yelofelo

Prices sure are different in some parts of the country. One of the tubs we had looked at was a californian equipped the very same way as yours. [ I located the original quote sheet] The price quote to us for a new tub not display was 10,200.00 here in northeast ohio. Your deal sure seems right to me. A couple of things I would do before I would sign on the dotted line. First How well do you like the dealer?[trust] Second and most important as the experienced people tell us. WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST. Good luck and keep us imformed. steve

Thanks for the feedback. We've been looking on and off for a while, and went to the spring home & garden show. I'm always skeptical of buying at an event like that. It's the old, 'we had 10 at this show price, and I have 2 left' pitch (or, if the price is as good as you say, maybe in this case they really do). 'In any case, they asked for a $500 deposit to hold it- fully refundable if we change our mind within 2 weeks. Then we can go wet test and see how we like it compared to the HS we're thinking about.

Is it common for dealers to cut corners on the cover quality, lifter, etc... on a deal like this? I don't know a lot about those components yet... I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop- like, 'oh, by the way, you'll surely want to upgrade to our premium lifter system for an extra $bzillion.

Where was the show at???? We almost fell for the show sales pitch. I would seriously find two or three tubs your interested in and go wet test them all. Have some questions with you to ask the dealer so you can see if they are who you want to be responsible for the up keep of your spa. As far as covers :::: I'll get screamed at for this one, but I would not own anybody eles cover other than ARTICS period!!!!!!!! Just a fyI for you. We went to the home improvement show in cleveland . The master dealer was just pitching his product and his great price but you had to committe today. It started at 11,200 for a lsx model and by the time he was done we were going to purchase it for 9000.00 plus tax. Sounds pretty good????? We then went up to the home and garden show and the exact spa we were going to purchase now had a everyday price clearly marked on it of 8000.00. Moral of the story. Do your homework, WET TEST, find a dealer you trust. steve

I'm in Northern California. We don't have the cold weather you do, but our electricity prices are pretty outrageous. I need an efficient tub, or it's going to be a giant cash sink

There is a Coleman spa dealer in near humboldt county or south of humboldt. Coleman spas have an extremely efficient tub. If you do not have extreme winters I highly recommend a coleman

I'm in Northern California. We don't have the cold weather you do, but our electricity prices are pretty outrageous. I need an efficient tub, or it's going to be a giant cash sink

Any of the quality brands will run you approximately the same in electrical costs. There will be very little difference between each brand. What will make a difference is how many pumps in each tub, how often you use your tub and duration, filtration, etc, and of course cooler temperatures mean you have to run your heater more. I'm not a dealer, but have several friends/family with varying brands of spas from Coast Spa, Coleman, Arctic, Bullfrog, etc and we all talk about costs, all pretty close.

Any of the quality brands will run you approximately the same in electrical costs. There will be very little difference between each brand. What will make a difference is how many pumps in each tub, how often you use your tub and duration, filtration, etc, and of course cooler temperatures mean you have to run your heater more. I'm not a dealer, but have several friends/family with varying brands of spas from Coast Spa, Coleman, Arctic, Bullfrog, etc and we all talk about costs, all pretty close.

Coleman and hotsprings both have 100percent filtration and also low operating costs. Hotsprings is higher priced

Hey roger I'm curious where you get your statistics. :D

Hauled an 18 year old HS to the dump last tuesday. Last Wednesday I hauled a 9 year old Coleman. The HS stayed together in one piece and wasn't actualy to bad a shape, thought seriously about re-furbing it. The Coleman was in pieces by the time we got it on the trailer. The supports were rotted, the bottom was junk and a whole bunch of other stuff was in real real bad shape. Now alot of this could relate to the placement of the tub and the way it was taken care of, but there was no arguing the years. This is not the first time I have hauled away a HS that was more than 15 years old and was still in OK shape. It's also not the first time I have hauled away other brands that were no were near as solid. And also not the first less than 10 year old Coleman. Just an observation from a guy who hauls alot of tubs away for people. Sold a 8 year old D1 the week before that was super solid and super nice for 2 grand more than I payed for it. Now I could go back and list a whole lot more for ya because I keep notes, and yes I have sold one used Coleman and made money on it, it was 6 years old and not to bad. The 8 year old D1 sold for 2200 and the 6 year old Coleman sold for 1300. Again just my notes. Remember I hate HS, I think they are overpriced. Marquis is on the top of my list for a number of reasons and D1 is a close second.

Coleman and hotsprings both have 100percent filtration and also low operating costs. Hotsprings is higher priced

HotSprings has 100% no-bypass filtration, and there is a reason they are more expensive. Oh and by the way, your constant plugs at how good the spas are that you sell is getting boring. Ok I've said it and I'll shut up now.

Just as a follow-up- I'm pulling the trigger on the D1 Californian. We wet tested the HS first, and the D1 immediately afterwards. The size, layout, and features were nearly identical. I found the motojet feature in the HS to be annoying. It felt like driving over speed bumps! I didn't like the HS jets in general. They all seemed to pound you with a solid water jet. The D1 had a nice mix of interchangeable jets with a lot more finesse out of the box IMO. The HS sales person also gave me a lot of bad info even though he'd supposedly been selling there for several years. He said the D1 we were testing was a bypass system, and was unsanitary because half of the plumbing under the shell is never filtered, and gets bacterial buildup inside the tubing. Ugh...Give me a break. The HS was the 'wet test' display model- an '05 and they offered me a 'screamin deal' @ $8900. The 'zero bypass' D1 Cali rang up at $7700.

Just as a follow-up- I'm pulling the trigger on the D1 Californian. We wet tested the HS first, and the D1 immediately afterwards. The size, layout, and features were nearly identical. I found the motojet feature in the HS to be annoying. It felt like driving over speed bumps! I didn't like the HS jets in general. They all seemed to pound you with a solid water jet. The D1 had a nice mix of interchangeable jets with a lot more finesse out of the box IMO. The HS sales person also gave me a lot of bad info even though he'd supposedly been selling there for several years. He said the D1 we were testing was a bypass system, and was unsanitary because half of the plumbing under the shell is never filtered, and gets bacterial buildup inside the tubing. Ugh...Give me a break. The HS was the 'wet test' display model- an '05 and they offered me a 'screamin deal' @ $8900. The 'zero bypass' D1 Cali rang up at $7700.

Good deal. You will enjoy this tub. Dimension One has some great jets and variety, some of the largest in the industry. Now your in hot water.

That is so funny you said speed bumps roger because that is what I refer to the Motomessage. When I wet tested that tub I felt like I was driving over a bunch of quagulated speed bumps until I had to switch to a different seat.

Hauled an 18 year old HS to the dump last tuesday. Last Wednesday I hauled a 9 year old Coleman. The HS stayed together in one piece and wasn't actualy to bad a shape, thought seriously about re-furbing it. The Coleman was in pieces by the time we got it on the trailer. The supports were rotted, the bottom was junk and a whole bunch of other stuff was in real real bad shape. Now alot of this could relate to the placement of the tub and the way it was taken care of, but there was no arguing the years. This is not the first time I have hauled away a HS that was more than 15 years old and was still in OK shape. It's also not the first time I have hauled away other brands that were no were near as solid. And also not the first less than 10 year old Coleman. Just an observation from a guy who hauls alot of tubs away for people. Sold a 8 year old D1 the week before that was super solid and super nice for 2 grand more than I payed for it. Now I could go back and list a whole lot more for ya because I keep notes, and yes I have sold one used Coleman and made money on it, it was 6 years old and not to bad. The 8 year old D1 sold for 2200 and the 6 year old Coleman sold for 1300. Again just my notes. Remember I hate HS, I think they are overpriced. Marquis is on the top of my list for a number of reasons and D1 is a close second.

Remember a 9 year old Coleman had the wood frame and full foam back in the day. The components exposed to freezing cold, the wood wasn't pressure treated and I have hauled away tubs 12 yrs. older that were refurbishable because they took care of them. I do have to admit i have a tiger river from hotsprings from 1989 for sale in mint condition. Now Maax became smarter and made gavalume

:P:D

Remember a 9 year old Coleman had the wood frame and full foam back in the day. The components exposed to freezing cold, the wood wasn't pressure treated and I have hauled away tubs 12 yrs. older that were refurbishable because they took care of them. I do have to admit i have a tiger river from hotsprings from 1989 for sale in mint condition. Now Maax became smarter and made gavalume

:P:D

I'm not sure the Galvalume is going to improve longevity. Wood structures or metal structures has never been a comparison issue both methods of construction work very well. The difference is on a spa that we are putting it in a very wet/damp invironment and as in any metal construction the joints were you drill and the connecting system will become the problem.

If metal constuction was the save all, building construction would of changed 20 years ago when it was first introduced but it didn't. Wood has proven its longevity and strenth and metal was made to match this but turned out to be noisier in building construction and the only real avantage it had was in fire rating. Otherwise wood remained on top as the main stay. In both the commercial and residential construction indusrty. Actualy right now you are finding a combination of the 2 methods in alot of new construction. Wood framing for everything but firewalls and warehouse walls. Office and interior walls with wood, cement and metal load and seperation walls. On steel beams and rubber roofs.

Oh and come on Brulan......they didn't make galvalume they started using it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure the Galvalume is going to improve longevity. Wood structures or metal structures has never been a comparison issue both methods of construction work very well. The difference is on a spa that we are putting it in a very wet/damp invironment and as in any metal construction the joints were you drill and the connecting system will become the problem.

If metal constuction was the save all, building construction would of changed 20 years ago when it was first introduced but it didn't. Wood has proven its longevity and strenth and metal was made to match this but turned out to be noisier in building construction and the only real avantage it had was in fire rating. Otherwise wood remained on top as the main stay. In both the commercial and residential construction indusrty. Actualy right now you are finding a combination of the 2 methods in alot of new construction. Wood framing for everything but firewalls and warehouse walls. Office and interior walls with wood, cement and metal load and seperation walls. On steel beams and rubber roofs.

Oh and come on Brulan......they didn't make galvalume they started using it.

Wet wood, termites and water dont go well.

I have seen metal frams on spas buckle. Have never seen that on a wood frame. If you have termites brulan may want to have that checked.

TBK.

The best time to check it is April when it starts getting warm. That way you can see the mice and clean out the poop all at the same time. If you are lucky you wont have leak.