Hot Tub Folliculitis!?

dorkisu

I bought a costco elite spa 13 days ago and filled it and added the bromine and checked the ph balance and added accordingly but about 5 days ago my family has developed a rash(pimples) The Dr. said its hot tub folliculitis! I will check tomorrow at a spa shop for what to do to clean it out, has anyone else had this problem?

I bought a costco elite spa 13 days ago and filled it and added the bromine and checked the ph balance and added accordingly but about 5 days ago my family has developed a rash(pimples) The Dr. said its hot tub folliculitis! I will check tomorrow at a spa shop for what to do to clean it out, has anyone else had this problem?

Lack of sanitation or too much sanitation or an allergy to bromide. Do you have an Ozone? I recomend using a Nature 2 system with no bromine. If you Elite by Maax has an Ozone lighten up on the bromide. I've had that problem before.

http://dermatology.about.com/od/infectionb...olliculitis.htm

Oh, I'm SO sorry this happened to your family. Yes... this can be a common thing mostly when the spa isn't sanitized properly. It can be somewhat hard to diagnose as you could have 5 people use your spa and sometimes only one person may show the symptoms. Going to your doc. was the perfect thing to do because they can usually give you an antibacterial lotion to help get over it faster.

It's a good idea to drain your spa after the proper sanitation level has been reached. I suggest replaceing a floating cover if you were using one, cleaning all the seams of your hardcover and behind pillows if you have them. Basically give your spa a good scrub-down to get rid of any residual bacteria that may have lingered so this hopefully won't re-occur. I may be a bit more meticulous than most but this thourough cleaning usually works well.

If you need help in making sure your sanitation levels are correct... take a sample of water into where you purchased your spa from and they should be able to test it for you and give you a "run-down" or "recipe" of what to do.

When sitting in a spa of hot water, it expands the pores in your skin and makes you more susceptable (sp?) to bacteria. Some people can build a bit of an immunity to their own spas bacterisa and it can happen to a friend when they visit. A good way to get rid of pesky friends! ;)

Hope this helps.. and just take a few seconds a couple of times a week to test your water regularly so you know how much of what to put in!

• 1 month later...

Oh, I'm SO sorry this happened to your family. Yes... this can be a common thing mostly when the spa isn't sanitized properly. It can be somewhat hard to diagnose as you could have 5 people use your spa and sometimes only one person may show the symptoms. Going to your doc. was the perfect thing to do because they can usually give you an antibacterial lotion to help get over it faster.

It's a good idea to drain your spa after the proper sanitation level has been reached. I suggest replaceing a floating cover if you were using one, cleaning all the seams of your hardcover and behind pillows if you have them. Basically give your spa a good scrub-down to get rid of any residual bacteria that may have lingered so this hopefully won't re-occur. I may be a bit more meticulous than most but this thourough cleaning usually works well.

If you need help in making sure your sanitation levels are correct... take a sample of water into where you purchased your spa from and they should be able to test it for you and give you a "run-down" or "recipe" of what to do.

When sitting in a spa of hot water, it expands the pores in your skin and makes you more susceptable (sp?) to bacteria. Some people can build a bit of an immunity to their own spas bacterisa and it can happen to a friend when they visit. A good way to get rid of pesky friends! ;)

Hope this helps.. and just take a few seconds a couple of times a week to test your water regularly so you know how much of what to put in!

You can also add a little sodium bi-carbonate (baking soda) to neutralize and kill the germs. The 1st thing you do is keep it sanitized enough like amanda said

• 4 weeks later...

alkalinity will get rid of odors and act as a buffer for your PH aka locking the ph. I must have worded it wrong.

Adding sodium bicarb will also cause a slight rise in pH will will make both chlorine and bromine less effective. Alk should be balanced to around 80-120 ppm anyway if you are keeping on top of your water chemistry!

• 1 month later...

Adding sodium bicarb will also cause a slight rise in pH will will make both chlorine and bromine less effective. Alk should be balanced to around 80-120 ppm anyway if you are keeping on top of your water chemistry!

If you dont than say good bye to pump seals and bearings.

????????What does TA have to do with pump seals and bearings??????????????????

pH could possibly have an effect but I really don't think TA will.

I never typed that TA was PH. TA has an affect on the PH which definatly can have an affect on pump seals and bearings without a doubt. :D

I never typed that TA was PH. TA has an affect on the PH which definatly can have an affect on pump seals and bearings without a doubt. :D

The only effect that TA has on pH is how resistant the pH is to change. TA is a measure of the carbonic acid/carbonate/bicarbonate buffer system in the water. This buffer system is what helps stabilize the pH and keep it from drifting. The chemicals that are used to adujust pH and TA interact to an extent. Sodium Carbonate will cause a fast upward shift in pH while inceasing the TA at the same time. Sodium Bicarbonate will increase the TA with minimal impact on pH (a slight increase might be noted). Borax will increase pH with minimal impact on TA since it introduces a secondary boric acid/borate buffer system into the water (think Proteam Supreme and Biolab Optimizer). Both muriatic acid and sodium bisufate (dry acid) will lower pH and appear to lower TA somewhat but what has acutally occured is the buffer system has shifted equilibirum and there is less of the carbonate/bicarbonate present in the water and more carbonic acid (which doesn't register on the TA test) . Carbonic acid is simply carbon dioxide gas dissolved in water (think club soda). If you then airate the water the carbon dioxide is driven off (think shaking a bottle of club soda so it starts to go flat) which actually removes some of the buffer system from the water lowering the TA. As you airate the pH will start to rise and the measured TA will decrease becuase you are removing some of the carbonic acid.

pH can have an effect on pump seals and bearings....not TA!