Fittings Are Leaking

bdee1

i am tryign to get my above ground pool up and runnign for the season and i am having some problems. i have flexible rubber-style hose (got it from the local pool place upon their recommendation) to connect the pool to my filter/pump. it was all workign well last year but this year when i connect it all up i seem to have a leak from the bottom of the skimmer. i took out the fittign in the bottom and put new teflon tape on the threads and rethreaded it in nice and tight. i put the hose back onto it and tightened fown the clamps as much as i can and still the tere is a little bit of a leak - one drop of water every second or so.

is there anythgin else i can put on the fitting or the inside of the hose that will seal it better and eliminate the leaks?

is the leak coming from the skimmer or where the tubing and fitting meet? if it is the white Abs fitting that came with the skimmer replace it with a PVC fitting that is barbed on the bottom. Instead of T-tape you can use Clear silicone, not silicone rubber of silicone caulking but 100%. put that on the threads. you can also put some on the barbed part of the fitting then insert the tubing and clamp it down. You can also just warm up the tubing with a heat gun that will give you a better seal around the fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you really want to put a barbed fitting on it? I take my hoses off when i winterize. If it's connected with a barb, then only way it's ever comming off is if I cut it off.

This year, i had a bit of a problem. One fitting required 2 hose clamps, which did the trick. (tighten with a small socket and ratchet, rather than a screw driver...just be careful not to crack the plastic fitting). On another hose, it was a small leak in the hose itself, almost impossivle to see.

I like the idea of heating it up. Perhpas a quick shot from a hair dryer?

I hate the filter hoses that pool supply places are selling. It seems every other year I am replacing mine.

Next year, I'm going to the hardware store and buying "Real" hose. I've got a nice piece of thick clear hose from my pump to the filter that I bought and was exspensive (as far as hoses go). Next year, I'm upgrading all my hoses to the same type. I'm sick of this low end stuff that needs to be replaced every 2 years and is overpriced.

Trigger, a couple seconds with a heat gun will soften up the piping enough where it will slide off of even 2 seconds with a torch if you dont have a heat gun. It can be heated over and over again as long as it isnt that garbage corrigated tubing that some dealers sell. I only use Tiger Flex PVC tubing.

Trigger, a couple seconds with a heat gun will soften up the piping enough where it will slide off of even 2 seconds with a torch if you dont have a heat gun. It can be heated over and over again as long as it isnt that garbage corrigated tubing that some dealers sell. I only use Tiger Flex PVC tubing.

It's that garbage corrigated stuff. I even ask, no - begged the dealer, "Give me the best hoses available. I'm tired of this" I was told that all hose were the same. Grrrrrrrr.

Tiger Flex eh? Off to google thanks. :)