Info On Ozonators

ndmom

We purchased a SD Maxxus but have not had it delivered. An Ozonator was not included but I see from the posts that many tubs have one. I would like to hear the pros and cons. I have not done any research....does anyone know if there are any health concerns related to the ozone gas in tub? Is it worth the extra $$ to add it on? Our dealer quoted a price of $299, is there a more reasonable place to purchase? I have gained a great deal of knowledge from this forum, I appreciate everyone's help and support.

The only proven fact, upon which we all seem to agree, is that Ozone is controversial.

It does reduce the amount of chlorine, but will not free you completely from some form of sanitizer. For example, I have had customers who could tell exactly when the ozone system stopped working by the changes in the water - the way it looked, the way it smelled and the way it felt - while others have never noticed that their ozone system stopped. In some cases, I have seen spas with the ozone systme which was not hooked up at delivery, and a few months later we connected it, and they did not notice a change.

Some Sundance models are ozone-ready and some are not - the difference being some system to expose the water to the ozone with as little as possible off-gassing. That is when the ozone comes out of the water and sits in the bather area.

There are two major types of ozone generators: Ultraviolet (UV) and Corona Discharge (CD). They both work. There are also two types of CD units: the ones which need a chip or chamber replaced every year or so, and the ones which don't.

How's that for a starter?

B)

Chas, thanks for the info. The Maxxus is CD Ozonator ready. Any recommendation on one of the two types? Do you use an ozonator and reasons for your preference. Thanks again for the help and education. I have read a little since posting but have been confused by the technicalities of the science.

I think the Sundance ozone unit is of the CD type, called SunZone. Looking around any trying to get one elsewhere (other than your dealer) is probably not going to be worthwhile - most especially in terms of having it installed. As Chas mentioned, Ozone is a controversial subject. However, if I could afford a new Maxxus, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. You will save some money by using fewer chemicals, but you'll also be soaking in fewer chemicals, which most people would agree is a good thing.

Thanks all for the added comments, your input is greatly appreciated.

So, what is the controversy? Are there any concerns about the health aspects of the ozone gas? I realize that there are extreme opinions about any of the chemicals, but I am wondering about the mainstream issues. Thanks again.

The ozonator allows you to use less sanitizer. I see some of you use chlorine. I don't recommend chlorine because it breaks down too fast in hot water. I use bromine tablets via a floater. I really keep the level low with the ozonator.

The ozonator keeps your water nice with less chemicals. I have had a hot tub with and without one and I recommend having it in place. I don't know which systems are better. I believe they are pretty much the same. My tub had it built in.

briefly off the subject. anyone considering a bromine floater should check their owners manual. i've seen a couple that warn against a floater and won't warranty shell damage if one is used. on the subject of ozone i love mine. i like the fact that something is working for me if i let the sanitizer level fall during a few days of zero use.