La Spas Aqua Klean Filtration System Question

I purchased my 06 Concord in December, and just started to have problems with the filter bags. I found a replacement pleated filter by Filbur (FC-0303) from spadepot.com. I ordered 3 and I'm awaiting there arrival (next Tuesday). These filters have 30sqft of surface area each and have the 3'MPT on the bottom. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but they should improve filtering and water clarity. I'll report back after I receive the filters and install them.

djs

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
I have also found that the filters are not lasting for a year as promised by the customer service people at LA Spa. I was told by the dealer, who sold me the hot tub, to wash them every 3 months with the 1/4 cup of bleach. When they shredded after washing them the second time, I returned them to the dealer, who replaced them with new and improved filters, at no charge. Needless to say these did not last long either. In December 06 I ordered yet another set of filters directly from LA Spas with instructions to wash them monthly with a small amount of detergent, not bleach. Once again I was told they had improved the filters since the last time I had purchased them and they should last a year. I just shut down the spa for the summer and when I pulled the filters out they had holes in them. My last spa had the pleated filter and I really thought the AquaKleen type of filter was going to be a better way to go. I never dreamed I would be spending so much money to replace these filters. I would advise anyone who was considering buying this type of filter system to keep in mind it will cost $400 a year for filters.

Hi Richard

I am taking your advice, I am in UK, I am paying £400/yr on LA Spa filters. As per other entries my socks don't stay on, they get blow holes regularly in botton, and don't always fit properly the full length 8".

I have requested a quote for filters from alternate supplier.

I found entries quite valuable, especially as I am a new member, I have also struggled with mildew spots on cover and only aggressive cleaning with bleach and a scrubber removed marks. All the recommended cleaners didn't work.

thanks again for advice.

Hi Richard

I am taking your advice, I am in UK, I am paying £400/yr on LA Spa filters. As per other entries my socks don't stay on, they get blow holes regularly in botton, and don't always fit properly the full length 8".

£400.00 per year thats about 17 filters. Have you asked your dealer if other people are having the same problem.

I was given two sets when I got my Spa last April and I am still using them. I also wash them more regulary than the manual states.

When I wash my filters I use a 40 degree gentle wash with a small amount of bleach.

• 3 weeks later...
An update on my earlier post. I've been using the other brand filters for about a month now, have washed them several times, and they are holding up great. The fact that they are half the price of Agua Kleans is an added bonus!

The manufacturer has a web site up now:

http://jime.c.crosslink.net/Spa%20Filters.htm

Richard

***NOTICE*** The web site has been updated to accommodate international sales and the URL is now:

http://jime.c.crosslink.net/spafilters.htm

• 2 weeks later...
An update on my earlier post. I've been using the other brand filters for about a month now, have washed them several times, and they are holding up great. The fact that they are half the price of Agua Kleans is an added bonus!

The manufacturer has a web site up now:

http://jime.c.crosslink.net/Spa%20Filters.htm

Richard

How are you getting on with these filters please?

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys - You should be able to use the below filter with the concorde and other LA Spa models that use the Aqua Klean (Aqua Sucks) models. I agree, LA Spa has been a horrible spa for me. Within the first year, i went through 9 filters, all my cushions fell apart, the 2nd pump never recovers after i drain and refill the spa and the wood startied splitting on the outside shell. My last sundance was 100 times better, but regardless, i would go with the below filters, they fit perfect and just require periodic cleaning with none of the tearing that the cloth ones do.

C

LINK INFORMATION:

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Clarathon-Fil...3-P598C465.aspx

"The Clarathon Premium Ultra Filter is the best filter cartridge you can buy. Equals or Out-performs all other brands. When you change your water, always soak your filter in cleaning compound, then rotate with a clean, dry spare for longer filter life... and no waiting!

Save even more when you buy extras!

Clarathon

Ultra Filter Width Length Bottom Top Price

FC0303 5 1/16 8 1/2 3

Buy 1 at $23.95

Buy 2-3 at $23.50

Buy 4 or more at $22.95

Unicel Unknown

Pleatco PLA35

Screw-In

Other part #'s

Notes: Upgrade: replaces LA Spas bag filter. Remove old bag & unscrew frame before installing cartridge. Regular Pipe Thread "

I have the Aqua-Klean filters (two sets)since end on September last year and they still look in good shape, I had bought the OASIS and I have traded it in for the HEET model 5 weeks ago, the dealer gave me another new set(i left the original ones in the OASIS). The original set did not feel the same as the ones I purchase, these new ones seems to be thicker than the original set.

Bottom line is, I find the filter system is very easy to maintain. I just hope they last more than a year. 2 sets should last at least 2 years <_< . I guess time will tell.

I have a question, what are you using for sanitizers, chlorine or Bromine, I have been using chloring but I am in the process of converting to bromine...

cheer :D ,

Dan

• 1 month later...

I have had this hot tub for 2 years now. I check the water quality every 2-3 days, but still burn through the aqua clean filter bags every couple of months or so. I have spent over $300.00 on filter bags and feel ripped off. I have been to the factory store and have been told many different answers. The folks at the factory have not been helpfull and seem to know its a problem,but will not talk.

Thanks

Tomo

I have had this hot tub for 2 years now. I check the water quality every 2-3 days, but still burn through the aqua clean filter bags every couple of months or so. I have spent over $300.00 on filter bags and feel ripped off. I have been to the factory store and have been told many different answers. The folks at the factory have not been helpfull and seem to know its a problem,but will not talk.

Thanks

Tomo

You might want to try the bag filters mentioned in previous posts which are available here:

http://jime.c.crosslink.net/spafilters.htm

I have had two sets of these in my spa for over a year and they are still in good shape. I alternate between the two sets, one set in use while cleaning the other set. I have not changed the water (just add some now and then to replace water lost to evaporation) since using these filters and it is still sparkling clean. I use chlorine in my spa. Another plus....these filters are half the cost. :D

Firehawkjim

Thanks

Tomo

How often do you clean the filters? I clean my more often than the manual says and mine have no holes in them. If they are getting clogged up then I suppose the pump will pull holes in them.

I was given two sets when I got my spa (April 2007) I am still on the originals, but I know they will not last forever, so if people have brought the replacement filters mentioned earlier could they post here to let us know how they are doing. The price looks very good, I would like to hear if they are good value though.

• 6 months later...

I have just blown through another set of filters! I am frustrated......I am tired of spending all this money on these filters. I use the Bromine tablets.........could that be the causing the fabric to break down? Someone mentioned they use chlorine and their filters have lasted over a year.

I purchased the cheaper filters from http://jime.c.crosslink.net/spafilters.htm and they did seem to last slightly longer. I'm thinking of finding the fabric and making my own.

Has anyone come up with any solutions?

Someone mentioned they use chlorine and their filters have lasted over a year.

This April my spa will be two years old and I am still on the original two sets of filters, I have always used chlorine. I am no expert but I would be suprised if the bromine tablets are causing your problems. Perhaps someone else could answer this.

How often do you clean your filters, because if they get blocked when you use pump number one, all the water will try to pass through the two filters. Do you have a circ pump and if so does the third filter wear out as quickly?

Two of my filters are starting to get very thin so I will be replacing them soon, I have no complaints because they have lasted nearly two years.

Someone mentioned they use chlorine and their filters have lasted over a year.

This April my spa will be two years old and I am still on the original two sets of filters, I have always used chlorine. I am no expert but I would be suprised if the bromine tablets are causing your problems. Perhaps someone else could answer this.

How often do you clean your filters, because if they get blocked when you use pump number one, all the water will try to pass through the two filters. Do you have a circ pump and if so does the third filter wear out as quickly?

Two of my filters are starting to get very thin so I will be replacing them soon, I have no complaints because they have lasted nearly two years.

The two filters on pump one always blow out first. We rotate the filters when I wash them every two weeks, in the washing machine with a small amount of chlorine bleach and detergent. We only use the hot tub twice a week. The filters do not have any large debris in them. They do become discolored and get whiter after the wash. Could the bromine residue interact with the clorine in the wash cycle causing the fabric to breakdown? These filters only last about two months before they literally disentegrate.

Could the bromine residue interact with the clorine in the wash cycle causing the fabric to breakdown? These filters only last about two months before they literally disentegrate.

Good question and it would be good if one of the chemical experts on here could answer this. If you do not get an answer in a few days try posting this question on the hot tub water chemistry section to see if someone there could help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm responding on my previous post in June, I have converted to bromine since then but I had just replaced my spas from an Oasis to a HEET. I am know going trough filter bags like crazy(8 since June). The dealer says it is because I know have 3 5HP motors and it is too strong of a flow for the filters. My old spas the Oasis I had it for over six months and never went trough any filters.

I think it might just be the bromine causing them to shred(almost dissolve) withing 3 months. I have just converted to pleated paper filters(Unicel 5CH-203) and I hope they will last longer.

I am not willing to return to chlorine as maintenance is so much less frequent and a bit easier using bromine, and people constantly telling me how clear the water is..

Cheers,

Dan

I have converted to bromine since then but I had just replaced my spas from an Oasis to a HEET. I am know going trough filter bags like crazy(8 since June). The dealer says it is because I know have 3 5HP motors and it is too strong of a flow for the filters. My old spas the Oasis I had it for over six months and never went trough any filters.

I think it might just be the bromine causing them to shred(almost dissolve) withing 3 months. I have just converted to pleated paper filters(Unicel 5CH-203) and I hope they will last longer

Looks like a pattern, it could be the bromine reacting with the filters, it would be nice if someone could confirm or dismiss this.

I also have 3 main pumps and one circulating pump, and as my filters have lasted nearly two years. I dont think this is the reason why your filters are not lasting long. This is because only pump 1 uses two of the filters as the intake, the circulating pump uses the other filter and pumps 2 and 3 uses the four inlets in the bottom of the spa.

I have converted to bromine since then but I had just replaced my spas from an Oasis to a HEET. I am know going trough filter bags like crazy(8 since June). The dealer says it is because I know have 3 5HP motors and it is too strong of a flow for the filters. My old spas the Oasis I had it for over six months and never went trough any filters.

I think it might just be the bromine causing them to shred(almost dissolve) withing 3 months. I have just converted to pleated paper filters(Unicel 5CH-203) and I hope they will last longer

Looks like a pattern, it could be the bromine reacting with the filters, it would be nice if someone could confirm or dismiss this.

I also have 3 main pumps and one circulating pump, and as my filters have lasted nearly two years. I dont think this is the reason why your filters are not lasting long. This is because only pump 1 uses two of the filters as the intake, the circulating pump uses the other filter and pumps 2 and 3 uses the four inlets in the bottom of the spa.

I also have 3 main pumps but I don't have a circulating pump. But I also think the filter bags don't like bromine.

• 1 month later...

I've had my LA Spa for several years now. When I bought it, the retailer set me up using chlorine. I washed my filters monthly in 1/4 cup bleach and they lasted about a year. Never had a problem.

Several months ago I switched to a new Pool/Spa retailer, and they recommended that I convert from chlorine to bromine - they said it would be less harsh and would be easier to maintain. I made the switch and put in new filters at the same time. The filters have dissintegrated in only a few months and have big holes in them.

This morning I pulled out my LA Spa owners manual, and it says either chlorine or bromine can be used. But buried in the paperwork I received with the spa I found a single sheet with instructions from LA Spas on how to clean the filter bags. In big bold type it says 'Do Not Use with Bromine.' I have to replace my filter and I am considering going back to chlorine, if this is the cause of the filter problem.

I'm wondering if people are using Chlorine or Bromine when they experience problems with the filters falling apart.

Ellie, thanks for the info. I think this confirms that the bromine was the problem. I just wish the LA Spa people would have told me this instead of giving me the run around. I have switched to the cartridge filters, recommended by another forum member, and have continued using the bromine. It's all good now. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I've had my LA Spa for several years now. When I bought it, the retailer set me up using chlorine. I washed my filters monthly in 1/4 cup bleach and they lasted about a year. Never had a problem.

Several months ago I switched to a new Pool/Spa retailer, and they recommended that I convert from chlorine to bromine - they said it would be less harsh and would be easier to maintain. I made the switch and put in new filters at the same time. The filters have dissintegrated in only a few months and have big holes in them.

This morning I pulled out my LA Spa owners manual, and it says either chlorine or bromine can be used. But buried in the paperwork I received with the spa I found a single sheet with instructions from LA Spas on how to clean the filter bags. In big bold type it says 'Do Not Use with Bromine.' I have to replace my filter and I am considering going back to chlorine, if this is the cause of the filter problem.

I'm wondering if people are using Chlorine or Bromine when they experience problems with the filters falling apart.

We have had our LA Spa for a little over four years. Its the Paradise. Currnetly we own four sets of the filters, and are using Baqua Spa. I have to report that I have not had any problems with the filters falling apart. I change them about every three weeks, wash them with bleach and detergent, and use the reccomended amount of chemicals. After reading all the blogs about bromine and chlorine I would reccomend trying the Baqua Spa. I know the manufacturer does not reccomend it, but it has worked fine, no plumbing or pump problems.