La Spas Aqua Klean Filtration System Question

I recently purchased an LA Spas Concord model. It's my first hot tub and I'm really ejoying it. I have a question about the "innovative" Aqua Klean filtration system. I'm hoping someone has experience on this board with these spas. Basically, the filters don't stay on the intake cannisters. They simply float right up off of them. Even when I turn the jets on and water gets sucked through the intakes, they still don't stay on. Has anyone ever heard of this or know of a fix?

Thanks,

-Eric

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric,

Sounds like you have missing bands. The bands are like a rubber band that stretch around the top of each individual Aqua Klean Filter. I like the system but the filters do not last long and they are $30 each from LA spas. Thats $100 for every three months. Be careful washing them. Do not use too much bleach only use 1/4 cup and wash in gentle cycle with no soap.

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I have also found that the filters are not lasting for a year as promised by the customer service people at LA Spa. I was told by the dealer, who sold me the hot tub, to wash them every 3 months with the 1/4 cup of bleach. When they shredded after washing them the second time, I returned them to the dealer, who replaced them with new and improved filters, at no charge. Needless to say these did not last long either. In December 06 I ordered yet another set of filters directly from LA Spas with instructions to wash them monthly with a small amount of detergent, not bleach. Once again I was told they had improved the filters since the last time I had purchased them and they should last a year. I just shut down the spa for the summer and when I pulled the filters out they had holes in them. My last spa had the pleated filter and I really thought the AquaKleen type of filter was going to be a better way to go. I never dreamed I would be spending so much money to replace these filters. I would advise anyone who was considering buying this type of filter system to keep in mind it will cost $400 a year for filters.

I have also found that the filters are not lasting for a year as promised by the customer service people at LA Spa. I was told by the dealer, who sold me the hot tub, to wash them every 3 months with the 1/4 cup of bleach. When they shredded after washing them the second time, I returned them to the dealer, who replaced them with new and improved filters, at no charge. Needless to say these did not last long either. In December 06 I ordered yet another set of filters directly from LA Spas with instructions to wash them monthly with a small amount of detergent, not bleach. Once again I was told they had improved the filters since the last time I had purchased them and they should last a year. I just shut down the spa for the summer and when I pulled the filters out they had holes in them. My last spa had the pleated filter and I really thought the AquaKleen type of filter was going to be a better way to go. I never dreamed I would be spending so much money to replace these filters. I would advise anyone who was considering buying this type of filter system to keep in mind it will cost $400 a year for filters.

I got my La Spa on the 19th April my dealer recommended that for the first two weeks I wash and change the filters daily, since then I have washed and changed once a week. Thats about 24 washes, as I have got two sets of filters thats 12 washes each.

The filters still look like new with no signs of wear. When I wash them I use nearly 1 capful of bleach with a small amount of washing powder. I use a short cycle and slow spin wash set at 40 degees, then hang them up to dry.

My warranty states that filter cartridges are covered for 90 days I presume that applies to filter bags as well. If I was you I would take them back for replacement, Obviously they should last longer than a few washes.

I got my La Spa on the 19th April my dealer recommended that for the first two weeks I wash and change the filters daily, since then I have washed and changed once a week. Thats about 24 washes, as I have got two sets of filters thats 12 washes each.

The filters still look like new with no signs of wear. When I wash them I use nearly 1 capful of bleach with a small amount of washing powder. I use a short cycle and slow spin wash set at 40 degees, then hang them up to dry.

My warranty states that filter cartridges are covered for 90 days I presume that applies to filter bags as well. If I was you I would take them back for replacement, Obviously they should last longer than a few washes.

Wow how is that user friendly or really even practical in any Galaxy anywhere. That is just way to much work to maintain a spa.

Wow how is that user friendly or really even practical in any Galaxy anywhere. That is just way to much work to maintain a spa.

That maybe so, and perhaps I dont have to wash the filters weekly, the dealer who set up the spa said I dont have to wash filters that often. But all I keep reading on this forum is people having problems with water chemistry and various types of goo etc. I have not any water chemistry issues apart from a high PH in the first week. Once this was brought under control my spa has been easy to maintain with no water quality issues.

That suits me fine a few extra washes and no water chemistry problems = more time to relax in the clean spa.

That maybe so, and perhaps I dont have to wash the filters weekly, the dealer who set up the spa said I dont have to wash filters that often. But all I keep reading on this forum is people having problems with water chemistry and various types of goo etc. I have not any water chemistry issues apart from a high PH in the first week. Once this was brought under control my spa has been easy to maintain with no water quality issues.

That suits me fine a few extra washes and no water chemistry problems = more time to relax in the clean spa.

You said that they told you to wash them daily for the first two weeks, now I have heard some off the wall things before about spas but that is near the top of list. To wash them daily seems very uncommon.

You said that they told you to wash them daily for the first two weeks, now I have heard some off the wall things before about spas but that is near the top of list. To wash them daily seems very uncommon.

Yes my dealer did tell me to wash the filters every day for the first two weeks.the La Spa manual recommends every other day for the first two weeks.

Its not very hard to put them in the washing machine and press a button though is it.

• 4 weeks later...

We have experienced the same problem where the fabric Aqua Klean filter bags quickly start to disintegrate after only a few washings. My wife always uses way less than the recommended 1/4 cup bleach, plus the most gentle cycle. We've had the spa for about three years now and filter durability has been an ongoing problem. Plus it has always grated on me to have to pay almost $30 for what is essentially a woven sack of cloth.

So naturally I was very interested in what someone wrote about "converting filter bags to cartridge filters". If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd appreciate if they could elaborate. Would this be done ordering the needed parts through LA Spas, or is this simply a matter of adapting generic filter cartridges to fit (preferable)? And hopefully the cartridges would be cleanable, and not consumable.

Thanks.

- Richard

We have experienced the same problem where the fabric Aqua Klean filter bags quickly start to disintegrate after only a few washings. My wife always uses way less than the recommended 1/4 cup bleach, plus the most gentle cycle. We've had the spa for about three years now and filter durability has been an ongoing problem. Plus it has always grated on me to have to pay almost $30 for what is essentially a woven sack of cloth.

So naturally I was very interested in what someone wrote about "converting filter bags to cartridge filters". If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd appreciate if they could elaborate. Would this be done ordering the needed parts through LA Spas, or is this simply a matter of adapting generic filter cartridges to fit (preferable)? And hopefully the cartridges would be cleanable, and not consumable.

Thanks.

- Richard

Richard,

I have talked to LASpas about converting to the cartridge filter and yes you can easily convert if you have the right size diameter and threads. If you unscrew the basket and look at the bottom diameter, you may be able to match the same size cartridge filter. I have a 3" diameter and they only have 1 1/2 " diameter Cartridge filters. I'm hoping to come up with an adapter. If anyone knows of an adapter I would be highly interested.

Thanks Dee

Richard,

I have talked to LASpas about converting to the cartridge filter and yes you can easily convert if you have the right size diameter and threads. If you unscrew the basket and look at the bottom diameter, you may be able to match the same size cartridge filter. I have a 3" diameter and they only have 1 1/2 " diameter Cartridge filters. I'm hoping to come up with an adapter. If anyone knows of an adapter I would be highly interested.

Thanks Dee

Here is a link to a supplier in England, look at the cartridges they say they fit the LA series.

http://www.poolchemicalsonline.co.uk/LA_Sp...LA_Spas_Filters

Hope this helps

I can't comprehend why people think tossing 3 cloth items in a washing machine and pushing "Gentle" is so difficult.

Richard,

Thanks Dee

If this truly becomes an issue for me later and I find that cartridges would be a financial benefit, I am sure you could make your own converter using PVC Size Converters from Lowes.

Hi there, I too have an LA Spa, I have found that a paper filter works just fine in my concord tub. Here is the number of filter that I have been using FC-0315 by Filbur also replaces the 6CH-47 it is 6"x9" w/1-1/2 theards. Hope this helps.

Hi there, I too have an LA Spa, I have found that a paper filter works just fine in my concord tub. Here is the number of filter that I have been using FC-0315 by Filbur also replaces the 6CH-47 it is 6"x9" w/1-1/2 theards. Hope this helps.

Just wondered why you went to the paper filter? Did you find that LA Spas filters did not last long? How long do the paper filters last and how much do they cost?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
unicel 5ch-203 will repalace the sock filters too.

I was very disappointed with the filters in my LA spa. They fell apart in 3 months. I now have 3 new filters from spafilters.com. These filters are the regular kind and I have been using them for almost a year. You will be able to tell them the size you need by measuring the filter cups for the fabric filters. But don't tell LA spa or they could tell you your warranty is no longer good.

I recently purchased an LA Spas Concord model. It's my first hot tub and I'm really ejoying it. I have a question about the "innovative" Aqua Klean filtration system. I'm hoping someone has experience on this board with these spas. Basically, the filters don't stay on the intake cannisters. They simply float right up off of them. Even when I turn the jets on and water gets sucked through the intakes, they still don't stay on. Has anyone ever heard of this or know of a fix?

Thanks,

-Eric

sorry you got hooked up with this lil gem. you can see in my past statements my thoughts on this system. it sucks. You are reduced to what three square feet of filtrationj surface? If you ever get the socks to stay put the pump is going to suck the bottom right out of them, if you use the spa and do not clean all 3 filterts every daqy, total joke

get some leated filters to take thier place , ya right they made the threads too bid, you are stuch my friend

Thanks,

-Eric

sorry you got hooked up with this lil gem. you can see in my past statements my thoughts on this system. it sucks. You are reduced to what three square feet of filtrationj surface? If you ever get the socks to stay put the pump is going to suck the bottom right out of them, if you use the spa and do not clean all 3 filterts every daqy, total joke

get some leated filters to take thier place , ya right they made the threads too big you are stuck my friend. LA spas "used" to be good. now they suck. they really suck. former LA dealer tech. I'm just the messanger.

Thanks,

-Eric

get some leated filters to take thier place , ya right they made the threads too bid, you are stuch my friend

Hi Eric, I must disagree with you about LA. I have had my tub for almost 2 years. The power behind this tub is hard core. I bought it for therapy and it delievers. I will not tell you what other tubs I looked into but it was over 15 top brands and it took me 6 months to make up my mind. I could not afford to make a mistake spending this much money. I made my decision after visiting the LA showroom in California for a wet test. How long ago were you a dealer? I am convinced that this company has a lower price from more advertised companies that were comparable. I have had tubs for over 20 years and I am very very happy with my LA spa. I was disappointed with the filters but I have resolved this problem and I do not clean them everyday. Who do you sell now?

If you ever get the socks to stay put the pump is going to suck the bottom right out of them, if you use the spa and do not clean all 3 filterts every daqy, total joke

My filter socks have never come off, the manual says that after a drain down you only have to clean them every other day for the first two weeks, I choose to do it every day and after two weeks I change them weekly. I check my water daily and I have had no water problems and my water is crystal clear. The filters still look like new. Perhaps it because I use a 30 minute gentle wash at 40 degrees with only a small amount of bleach.

If anyone wants to change them for pleated filters surely they could buy a plastic reducing bush from a plumbers merchant.

Robin I totally agree with you regarding the power and therapy of the LA spas, I wet tested various other makes and models and the LA came out on top everytime. The therapy part was and still is very important to us.

The people who I only take real notice of on this forum are the actual owners and not all the sales people on here.

There are lots of makes of spas at various prices with different features, warranties, amount of hydropherapy etc. This offers everbody a good choice I just wish some sales people on here would realise that.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update to my post of August 6th, where I said I was very dissatisfied with the AquaKleen sack filters used on LA Spas.

An independent source is commencing to manufacture sack filters that will fit LA Spas perfectly. The good news is that the filters are half the price of AquaKleen. I installed three of their prototype models on our spa about a month ago, and so far have been very happy, in fact have ordered more. I do not think they have a web site up yet. Contact person whom I dealt with is jime@crosslink.net.

- Richard