D1 Vs, Vita

Dogman

Howdy. My wife and I just started shopping hot tubs. We live in central Texas. She likes the D1 Nautilus, but the dealer has it priced at $8995. Ouch! We also looked at a Vita Aurora, priced at $7500. My intuition tells me these prices are way high. Is buying a hot tub like buying a car? How much wiggle room is built into hot tub pricing? We sure want a quality tub, but I HATE getting hosed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy. My wife and I just started shopping hot tubs. We live in central Texas. She likes the D1 Nautilus, but the dealer has it priced at $8995. Ouch! We also looked at a Vita Aurora, priced at $7500. My intuition tells me these prices are way high. Is buying a hot tub like buying a car? How much wiggle room is built into hot tub pricing? We sure want a quality tub, but I HATE getting hosed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds right! I dont know about that D1 being so highly priced. How long has that dealer been around for? find out how long they have been in business. Both of them should be looked into. Then go look at the 706 series coleman spa and compare the energy savings costs for the long run. You might be intrigued for the money they want for that D1. Also look at the 481 series.

Don't you hate people pushing thier brand on this board? LOL. D1 are great spas, and buying a spa is somewhat like buying a car. It is a big purchase that you will most likely hold onto for many years, so you want to make sure you "look under the hood", test drive it, see how it feels, what kind of warranty you have on it, etc. Prices can be haggled a little bit with most dealers, but only a little . . . they may bring down the price a bit, but you can more easily get them to add the extras (like a cover lifter, jetting or lighting, and so on) at no extra cost. Brulan is right in one aspect, take a look at all makes before deciding, or maybe you've done this already.

That sounds right! I dont know about that D1 being so highly priced. How long has that dealer been around for? find out how long they have been in business. Both of them should be looked into. Then go look at the 706 series coleman spa and compare the energy savings costs for the long run. You might be intrigued for the money they want for that D1. Also look at the 481 series.

I think the D1 will be less to operate than the Coleman, unless you sell Coleman. With a 24 hour circ pump using what a 75 watt light bulb uses versus the Colemans big jet pump circulating on and off all day.

I'm a user, not a salesman. I looked/investigated thoroughly last year before purchasing a Vita Nuage. I've been very pleased.

I should also add - your local dealer is as important, perhaps even more important than the brand of spa you purchase.

Regarding price - look as "far and wide" as reasonable. I found three Vita spas withing 45 minutes of my house, and the price for the identical spa varied by over a grand.

I think the Coleman will be less to operate than the D1, unless you sell D1. the Coleman jet pump comes on on low speed for a time the consumer determines, and to heat as necessary throught out the day, or not if you put the spa into economy mode. there are a lot of variables to figuring out energy costs so energy consumption can vary greatly even with the same model in different geographic locations and user habits.

I think the D1 will be less to operate than the Coleman, unless you sell Coleman. With a 24 hour circ pump using what a 75 watt light bulb uses versus the Colemans big jet pump circulating on and off all day.

Roger,

I'd have to agree with you Roger but I doubt Brulan will for the same reason he answered the D1 vs Vita post with an answer of "neither, buy my brand B)" .

Dogman,

Regarding your original question "Is buying a hot tub like buying a car? How much wiggle room is built into hot tub pricing?", there is no real way for us to answer that. Some dealers price their spas to allow each individual customer to haggle (some pay more and others less) while other dealers set a lower price and hold everyone to it (for the most part). In the end you certainly can try to work a beter deal but if they aren't budging on the price of the spa try getting them to add to the package (i.e. if they won't come down $200 on the spa ask for $200 in free chemicals as a response).

I think the Coleman will be less to operate than the D1, unless you sell D1. the Coleman jet pump comes on on low speed for a time the consumer determines, and to heat as necessary throught out the day, or not if you put the spa into economy mode. there are a lot of variables to figuring out energy costs so energy consumption can vary greatly even with the same model in different geographic locations and user habits.

Oh boy, another that somehow thinks the big jet pump kicking on during the day to filter and run for 4-8 hours and then inbetween to maintain heat somhow costs less than a 75 watt circ pump. Yep theres alot of factors involved but 25 times more power usage out of the big jet pump is the big one.

I should leave this thread alone as Brulan hijacked it and then I stooped to his level and shouldn't of, Sorry Dog.

I don't sell D1 I am an owner that has seen through the pump motor heat retoric. And I don't own a D1 either.

Don't you hate people pushing thier brand on this board? LOL. D1 are great spas, and buying a spa is somewhat like buying a car. It is a big purchase that you will most likely hold onto for many years, so you want to make sure you "look under the hood", test drive it, see how it feels, what kind of warranty you have on it, etc. Prices can be haggled a little bit with most dealers, but only a little . . . they may bring down the price a bit, but you can more easily get them to add the extras (like a cover lifter, jetting or lighting, and so on) at no extra cost. Brulan is right in one aspect, take a look at all makes before deciding, or maybe you've done this already.

Yeah see my point is that there are more spa companies than the pope had prayers. Why limit yourself to only two companies? Buying a hot tub is like buying a car in one aspect but on the other hand not like buying a car at all. You need a car to get to and from places everyday, but a spa on the other hand is a "Want". So when you're looking for a spa you want something that you will be compfortable with for a long time which in your case "may" be something more efficient and energy coserving, more therapy, or entertainment. If you are looking for entertainment mostly find a tub with less barriers and not as much confinment. If you need a tub because of medical reasons definately consider something more economical and at the same time more barriers to keep you hugged in the seat. Find a tub that has the jets in the right place rather than more jets. With that said have fun while shopping.

I, too, am a "user," not a dealer. We did a lot of shopping around, although we didn't look at D1 (our friend has one and loves it). We ended up with a Vita and love it! But the best thing you can do is wet test...all of the spas we looked at felt much different with water in them. Also, assess the potential for follow-up from your dealer. That is very important, too.

Yeah see my point is that there are more spa companies than the pope had prayers. Why limit yourself to only two companies? Buying a hot tub is like buying a car in one aspect but on the other hand not like buying a car at all. You need a car to get to and from places everyday, but a spa on the other hand is a "Want". So when you're looking for a spa you want something that you will be compfortable with for a long time which in your case "may" be something more efficient and energy coserving, more therapy, or entertainment. If you are looking for entertainment mostly find a tub with less barriers and not as much confinment. If you need a tub because of medical reasons definately consider something more economical and at the same time more barriers to keep you hugged in the seat. Find a tub that has the jets in the right place rather than more jets. With that said have fun while shopping.

Buying a car is not always a "need". I don't "need" a car, it's a luxury. I can walk/rollerblade/cab/whatever to work, i can use public transportation, etc but choose to have a car instead. It all depends on the consumer, and therefore, buying a car is like buying a hot tub, it's a major purchase for the most part, and for some it's a want, some it's a necessity. And didn't mean to come across as hacking on you, but you DID only mention coleman, i own an arctic, but also mention the other major brands to others when recommending, even though i prefer arctic.

Buying a car is not always a "need". I don't "need" a car, it's a luxury. I can walk/rollerblade/cab/whatever to work, i can use public transportation, etc but choose to have a car instead. It all depends on the consumer, and therefore, buying a car is like buying a hot tub, it's a major purchase for the most part, and for some it's a want, some it's a necessity. And didn't mean to come across as hacking on you, but you DID only mention coleman, i own an arctic, but also mention the other major brands to others when recommending, even though i prefer arctic.

Agree for the most part