Sport Pool....or Not?

wantaspa

Hello all,

I'm in the process of planning for an inground swimming pool. Approximate size will be 32X16 or as big as 40X20.

I have a local builder who has an excellent reputation. The design issue I am stuck on is whether or not to build a sport pool (shallow at both ends) or a more traditional pool with a deep end. I have young children who are all excellent swimmers.

Some of the more common pro's and con's

a) sport pool perhaps would use less water

B) sport pool would eliminate diving as an option...reduced liabilty

I guess what I am after is some feedback from owners of either pool (sport pool or deep end pool), what you chose and why, and do you have any feedback/changes you wished you made after the pool was installed?

Thank you kindly for your thoughts.

I also wanted to install a sport pool. I am now planning on installing a 34'X16' 3'6" to 5'7' deep fiberglass pool. My contact at the manufacturer and installer tell me that a sport pool is the least popular type of pool and if I later sell my home that most home with a pool buyers want a more traditional type pool. After doing a little more research I found this to be true. I also found that most time in a pool was spent in the shallow end of deep pool, so why have a deep end. I based my choice on possible resell. The size pool I am planning is also very good for water sports. What ever you chose good luck and enjoy. I hope this helps.

I also wanted to install a sport pool. I am now planning on installing a 34'X16' 3'6" to 5'7' deep fiberglass pool. My contact at the manufacturer and installer tell me that a sport pool is the least popular type of pool and if I later sell my home that most home with a pool buyers want a more traditional type pool. After doing a little more research I found this to be true. I also found that most time in a pool was spent in the shallow end of deep pool, so why have a deep end. I based my choice on possible resell. The size pool I am planning is also very good for water sports. What ever you chose good luck and enjoy. I hope this helps.

No, I did not consider a vinyl pool. One of my nieghbors has one and it just does not seem sturdy. It looks good and they take real good care of it but have had a few leaks. I think all the advancements in fiberglass over the last few years make fiberglass a no brainer for me.

Thanks Dennis. Good thoughts.

BTW, did you consider a vynill pool, versus fiberglass?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a vinyl builder and have been for about 18 years. The sport or as i call it a vollevball pool is really popular i have built quite a few in all shapes and sizes. Here are some thoughts to think about. first of all the depth of the deep center will effect how much shallow ends you end up with. There is a rule that only allows the slope from shallow to deep to be so steep about 1 in 3 drop. On a 16'x32' you wouldnt be able to acheive more than about 6' with about 8' on each side of shallow end. They are very popular and alot of builders push them it is actually easier and cheaper to build than a standard 8' deep diving hopper (deep end). I dont know of any companies offering discounts for this feature its some kind of trade perk. There is alot less shaping of hopper walls by shovel and there is alot less floor material wether it is pool krete or grout. if you do install a sport pool have anchors installed for a volleyball net pole.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a vinyl builder and have been for about 18 years. The sport or as i call it a vollevball pool is really popular i have built quite a few in all shapes and sizes. Here are some thoughts to think about. first of all the depth of the deep center will effect how much shallow ends you end up with. There is a rule that only allows the slope from shallow to deep to be so steep about 1 in 3 drop. On a 16'x32' you wouldnt be able to acheive more than about 6' with about 8' on each side of shallow end. They are very popular and alot of builders push them it is actually easier and cheaper to build than a standard 8' deep diving hopper (deep end). I dont know of any companies offering discounts for this feature its some kind of trade perk. There is alot less shaping of hopper walls by shovel and there is alot less floor material wether it is pool krete or grout. if you do install a sport pool have anchors installed for a volleyball net pole.

you got that right. I actually like that deptch layout. If you think about it, how often are you in the deep end anyway. for me, I consider the deep end for diving only, and in this day and age, I would never put a dive board in my house for fear of a lawsuit.

I really think that the traditional pool layout is not that great and the sport pool is how they should be done.

But people rarely ask for them, like it's ingrained into our minds that a pool has a shallow and a deep end. It's pretty much all anyone ever saw growing up, etc...