Pictures - Our Pool To Be

Looony2nz

updated 1/14/06- steel is done. pic might take a sec to pop up or host is having problems. I'll check it later.

IPB Image

I really hope that the steel in your picture is "done" I don't like to rain on your parade, but that is a pretty shady job there.

1. Steel tex (black stuff) is being used to form the outside of the walls. From your pic, it looks like the rebar is right up against it. WRONG. The steel should end up in the middle of the gunite shell, not at the outside edge. Maybe I am missing something in the pic, I hope I am.

2. centers are the boxes that the rebar makes when done. Yours look a bit big. they should be no more than 1' squares. and If you have a deep end, they should be 6" there. We use that standard for 1/2" rebar. your guy is probably using 3/8"

3. The floor steel is laying right on the ground. they need to put grade block under it so, again, the rebar ends up in the middle of the shoot, not to the edge.

4. on the walls, when the rebar is spaced "out" from the steel tex properly, you use L shaped pieces called "sevens" on the top. this allow you to run rebar all around the top for extra reinforcement of the top of the beam.

I think you should put this project on hold until you can arrange for another company to come and inspect that steel job. If that stage is not done properly, you will have a future of cracks and popped tile.

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=...2400/t_=1532400

If you look closely, you can see a proper steel job from the top of the beam down to the gradeblock on the floor

Not sure how to respond since I am not an expert by far, however, I respect your comments.

I believe that the steel tex and rebar become "encased" in the gunite as you said, on both sides.. As for how they are tied, yes I believe they are tied at 12" (1 ft). It is getting inspected either today or tomorrow. It must meet code or won't pass. From the reputation of the co, I know they do code work. Whether they EXCEED code is another question. Perhaps what you are explaining is work that exceeds code. I'm not saying we skimped, but we did opt for their very basic pool. I know if you "upgrade", there is perhaps heavier rebar, etc. but as for code, I am confident they are building to code.

Honestly, I could not see your picture closely enough to see anything different, except perhaps around the perimeter. Your pool is quite large - wow.

This pool is 14x28, a large bathtub. Im sure this doesn't have any bearing, but I will mention this to our guy when I see him.

Thanks for your input.