Marquis Retreat

Kizzer

Hello,

New here as well as new to the world of spas.

The wife and I just bought a new Marquis Retreat spa. We did a little research before we purchased this spa, and read good things about the Marquis line of products. But if anyone cares to give me their opinion, I would certainly like to hear it.

My main question is about the benefits of 120V -Vs- 240V.

Right now the spa is connected to the standard 120V outlet on our patio. The issues we have seen so far is that on initial installation this past Friday, it took over 36 hours to heat the water from 53 degrees to 102 degrees. Also, the heat turns off when you start the jets because the power of 120V is not enough to operate both jets and heat.

The first night, it was about 45 degrees outside and we were in the spa about 40 minutes and the water temp went from 102 degrees to 96 degrees. In turn it took another 6 hours to bring the temp back up to 102 degrees.

I am considering having 240V ran to the spa, the cost would be about $300 plus/minus.

Are the benefits of 240V worth the costs?

Also, I've been told that the unit (heater, pump, etc) would last much longer running on 240V vs 120V. Is this correct?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kizzer

I am considering having 240V ran to the spa, the cost would be about $300 plus/minus.

Are the benefits of 240V worth the costs?

Also, I've been told that the unit (heater, pump, etc) would last much longer running on 240V vs 120V. Is this correct?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kizzer

You hit the nail on the head relative to what the advantage is with 220v. Simply put, it is

1) time to heat up from a refill),

2) heat loss while in use with the pumps on

3) time to get back to temp when you're done.

Are the benefits of 220v worth the cost? ONLY you can answer that. In general, #1 and 3 usually aren't a big deal to most. The real issue for most people is #2. You said you lost 6º while using it 40 minutes. Does that bother you? If so make the change. If not save your money. You an do this anytime. Go a few more weeks and see if it starts to get old having the temp drop. Personally, I'd find that drop annoying but that's me.

As far as it the equipment lasting longer with one version or the other, that's news to me. Though someone can probably come up with some theory on this one I'd ignore it.

You hit the nail on the head relative to what the advantage is with 220v. Simply put, it is

1) time to heat up from a refill),

2) heat loss while in use with the pumps on

3) time to get back to temp when you're done.

Are the benefits of 220v worth the cost? ONLY you can answer that. In general, #1 and 3 usually aren't a big deal to most. The real issue for most people is #2. You said you lost 6º while using it 40 minutes. Does that bother you? If so make the change. If not save your money. You an do this anytime. Go a few more weeks and see if it starts to get old having the temp drop. Personally, I'd find that drop annoying but that's me.

As far as it the equipment lasting longer with one version or the other, that's news to me. Though someone can probably come up with some theory on this one I'd ignore it.

I agree that it is something you need decide if it is worth to you. From everything I know there is no truth about the equipment lasting longer. The benefits all in the heating of the spa.

Thanks for your insight.

Losing temp that fast is annoying for three reasons.

1. You can tell the diffenence on your skin. It goes from a hot tub to a warm bath.

2. It takes so long to re-heat the water.

3. I've been told, but not sure about this, that it costs less money to run the spa at 240V. Enough so that you can re-coup the expenses of installing the circuit over a period of 12-18 months. (based on many factrors of course)

I am still assuming that Marquis is a fine product right?

Thanks!

3. I've been told, but not sure about this, that it costs less money to run the spa at 240V. Enough so that you can re-coup the expenses of installing the circuit over a period of 12-18 months. (based on many factrors of course)

Ignore that one. Make the change for other reasons and don't try to convince yourself this will be a freebie. That is waaaaay overhyped.

oh, and yes, Marquis is a fine product.

Thanks for your insight.

Losing temp that fast is annoying for three reasons.

1. You can tell the diffenence on your skin. It goes from a hot tub to a warm bath.

2. It takes so long to re-heat the water.

I am still assuming that Marquis is a fine product right?

Thanks!

Yes the Marquis is a very fine product.

Yes the Marquis is a very fine product.

There is no cost saving running a spa on 220 over 110 volts. You are paying for the kw you use by your electric company. If you compute the kw at 120 or 220 it comes out the same. Lets say you spa draws 30 amps at 120 volt that computes to 3600 watts. The same spa would draw 15 amps on 240 volts or 3600 watts Costing the same. Your motors will last longer at 220, run alittle cooler and heaters will also last longer. RSK Master Electrician RK ELECTRIC

There is no cost saving running a spa on 220 over 110 volts. You are paying for the kw you use by your electric company. If you compute the kw at 120 or 220 it comes out the same. Lets say you spa draws 30 amps at 120 volt that computes to 3600 watts. The same spa would draw 15 amps on 240 volts or 3600 watts Costing the same. Your motors will last longer at 220, run alittle cooler and heaters will also last longer. RSK Master Electrician RK ELECTRIC One other note $300.00 is a VERY good price jump on it.

Why don't you go for the 240V? After spending that kind of money I wouldn't even think about running a spa on 120 IMHO--unless I had to. I spent about $800 for a 60' run with a subpanel and it was the best money I ever spent.

Thanks for clearing up the electrical issue. Perhaps I should just stick with the 120V for awhile and see how it goes. We do not have "rough" winters here, so my guess is running 120V will suffice.

Why don't you go for the 240V? After spending that kind of money I wouldn't even think about running a spa on 120 IMHO--unless I had to. I spent about $800 for a 60' run with a subpanel and it was the best money I ever spent.

I have decided to go with 240V. I took 3 bids and took the middle bid of $285 for a 40 foot run.

Good choice.

When it is really cold out you don't want to have to get out without your core body temperature up.

Getting out of a luke warm tub into snow would be a bummer. If you are hot you won't really feel the cold for a while after getting out.

My wife likes ours to warm up while she is in it. That way it doesn't seem to hot when she first gets in.

We keep ours around 100 and warm it up to 102-103 while we are in it.

220 is really the only way to go unless you are in a warmer climate where it doesn't get too cold.

• 3 weeks later...