Just Cleaned Filter, Now New Problem

brian

I just cleaned my spa filter for the first time. The instructions said to soak the filter for 15 minutes, then rinse with the highest hose pressure. I live in the Adirondacks of New York and using a hose outside right now is hard seeing how everything is frozen. What I did was used the sprayer on our kitchen sink. I guess it didn't have enough pressure because as soon as I installed it and turned on the spa, it foamed up like a bubblr bath. Now the water keeps wanting to foam and it is cloudy. Anyone help me out. I put in anti-foam and chlorine. Still seems cloudy. I did remove the filter and re-rinse it for about 10 minutes. This seemed to help a little but the water is still cloudy. Thanks in advance.

Brian, what did you soak your filter in?

I would recommend soaking your filter in a bleach/water solution and nothing else. Bleach is a diluted form of chlorine that will not cause any problems if a small amount gets into the spa after rinsing.

Also, make sure you rinse your swimwear well before using in the spa. A small amount of detergent can cause a lot of foam. Especially if your water is soft.

Brian, what did you soak your filter in?

I would recommend soaking your filter in a bleach/water solution and nothing else. Bleach is a diluted form of chlorine that will not cause any problems if a small amount gets into the spa after rinsing.

Also, make sure you rinse your swimwear well before using in the spa. A small amount of detergent can cause a lot of foam. Especially if your water is soft.

I cleaned the filter with filter cleaner purchased at the spa store. My suits are always double rinsed and I haven't had any foaming problems before. I know that the foaming is coming from the residue off the filter because of the poor rinse job that I did. My biggest concern is how to clear up the water from the excess soap in there now???????

I cleaned the filter with filter cleaner purchased at the spa store. My suits are always double rinsed and I haven't had any foaming problems before. I know that the foaming is coming from the residue off the filter because of the poor rinse job that I did. My biggest concern is how to clear up the water from the excess soap in there now???????

This is a common problem. Filters soaked in filter cleaner need to be rinsed extremely well. A kitchen spray is tough to work with.

Run all your jets and blowers on high with your air venturis open for about ten minutes. This will create a large amount of suds. Turn off jets. Take a pool net, a clean dustpan, anything (even your hands cupped) and scoop out any suds on top of the water. Repeat until sudsing stops. Then shock and filter. It will eventually clear up.

This is a common problem. Filters soaked in filter cleaner need to be rinsed extremely well. A kitchen spray is tough to work with.

Run all your jets and blowers on high with your air venturis open for about ten minutes. This will create a large amount of suds. Turn off jets. Take a pool net, a clean dustpan, anything (even your hands cupped) and scoop out any suds on top of the water. Repeat until sudsing stops. Then shock and filter. It will eventually clear up.

Hry thanks. I did get a whole lot of suds. Looked like a giant beer . Foam was probably a foot deep. I was extremely surprised that when I poured in about an ounce of anti-foam, it killed the foam almost instantly. I did just what you said a few days before you said it. It is clearing up. Thanks for replying. I appreaciate the help and now I know that I did the right thing. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hry thanks. I did get a whole lot of suds. Looked like a giant beer . Foam was probably a foot deep. I was extremely surprised that when I poured in about an ounce of anti-foam, it killed the foam almost instantly. I did just what you said a few days before you said it. It is clearing up. Thanks for replying. I appreaciate the help and now I know that I did the right thing. Thanks again.

Also the scumbugs or scumballs work very well with the reminents your chemicals wont clear

• 2 weeks later...

you may want to go easy on the anti-foam stuff. It can cause another sticky kindof problem if you use too much. Glad your water is clearing up... maybe now you can rest and have a "real" beer! ;)

you may want to go easy on the anti-foam stuff. It can cause another sticky kindof problem if you use too much. Glad your water is clearing up... maybe now you can rest and have a "real" beer! ;)

That's for sure. Too much antifoam actually causes more scum and less clarity

• 14 years later...