Biggest Difference Between Cd And Uv O3's

Hot N Wet

So what is the biggest difference between ozonators? I've heard CD is the way to go but have checked into Marquis and they offer a "solid state" ozonator made by Balboa industries. Is life expectancy the biggest issue, or is it geared in terms of performance somehow? Any insight is appreciated.

So what is the biggest difference between ozonators? I've heard CD is the way to go but have checked into Marquis and they offer a "solid state" ozonator made by Balboa industries. Is life expectancy the biggest issue, or is it geared in terms of performance somehow? Any insight is appreciated.

Ozone output (CD typically is far greater than UV) is one factor along with life expectancy and maintenance costs (does it require a bulb or chip change (and at what frequency) or is it supposed to be pretty much maintenance free?).

And thats 2 years longer than most any other.

I am on the second UV unit in my 4 1/2 year old tub. Both units were under 100 bucks new (one 89 one 99). How much is a CD unit and how long do they last? I have seen CD units priced from 300 to 500 bucks that are supposed to last 3-5 years before they need a new chip, Have also seen units that are supposed to last 5-10 years, so............they better put out more O3. Seems like a wash.

I remember my Marquis dealers telling me that the warrenty on the ozonator was only 3 years, where the shell is 7 years and everything inside is 5 years.

Tha warranty may be 3 yrs for the ozonator but that's a UV unit and UV bulbs really should be changed about every 18 months as the amount of ozone produced drops significantly (some people quote every 12 months). I know the ozonator may still technically be operating at that point and the bulb may be illuminating but I doubt it's doing much good without the bulb being replaced at that point.

Tha warranty may be 3 yrs for the ozonator but that's a UV unit and UV bulbs really should be changed about every 18 months as the amount of ozone produced drops significantly (some people quote every 12 months). I know the ozonator may still technically be operating at that point and the bulb may be illuminating but I doubt it's doing much good without the bulb being replaced at that point.

Not all UV types are the same. Marquis uses a solid state ozonator. The big big difference is that the ballast used to light the bulb in the traditional type of UV was the cause of its shorten life which is not the case with a solid state UV.

Not all UV types are the same. Marquis uses a solid state ozonator. The big big difference is that the ballast used to light the bulb in the traditional type of UV was the cause of its shorten life which is not the case with a solid state UV.

Sounds good but I'm not drinking that kool aide answer (no offense and I'm a Marquis backer overall).

Sounds good but I'm not drinking that kool aide answer (no offense and I'm a Marquis backer overall).

with all due respect, this is something that is not kool aid but is verifiable and not really even debatable much the like say a picture tub or a plasma TV they are a different technology also it is not touted by Marquis but by Balboa. There is no flicker in a solid state system like you get in a ballast that flickering

(Look at a fluorescent light) is what cuts short the life of the bulb. It is simply on or off with solid state and is much more stable.

with all due respect, this is something that is not kool aid but is verifiable and not really even debatable much the like say a picture tub or a plasma TV they are a different technology also it is not touted by Marquis but by Balboa. There is no flicker in a solid state system like you get in a ballast that flickering

(Look at a fluorescent light) is what cuts short the life of the bulb. It is simply on or off with solid state and is much more stable.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The unit will still operate and the bulb will illuminate so I'm not saying the units will fail but I'd expect the ozone output to degrade like all UV units.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The unit will still operate and the bulb will illuminate so I'm not saying the units will fail but I'd expect the ozone output to degrade like all UV units.

To answer your question Hoppy it is the whole unit in my case not a bulb...plug and play.

fair enough and I really do respect your opinion. in this case how ever I must say that just because you choose to not recognize something that is in disputably different does not make it less so. Maybe a simple example would like saying electronic fuel injection in car and a carburetor are the same because they put gas into a cars engine. Yes they do but in very different ways.

fair enough and I really do respect your opinion. in this case how ever I must say that just because you choose to not recognize something that is in disputably different does not make it less so. Maybe a simple example would like saying electronic fuel injection in car and a carburetor are the same because they put gas into a cars engine. Yes they do but in very different ways.

I really don't have a desire to go back and forth either but just because you say it's indisputable doesn't make it indisputable to me. I've got my opinion and feel comfortable with it's accuracy and you have yours and obviously will stick with it. I won't say you're wrong, I'll just say I disagree and would appreciate it if you're take the same tact. And BTW, I'm not saying their UV unit is a piece of crap, I'm just saying I'll take a quality CD unit over it.

I really don't have a desire to go back and forth either but just because you say it's indisputable doesn't make it indisputable to me. I've got my opinion and feel comfortable with it's accuracy and you have yours and obviously will stick with it. I won't say you're wrong, I'll just say I disagree and would appreciate it if you're take the same tact. And BTW, I'm not saying their UV unit is a piece of crap, I'm just saying I'll take a quality CD unit over it.

fair enough. My point in case it was lost was not the merits of CD vs UV but that their are in fact two types of UV and that there is a very practical difference in them.

fair enough. My point in case it was lost was not the merits of CD vs UV but that their are in fact two types of UV and that there is a very practical difference in them.

I understood your point. I wasn't simply trying to say CD is preferred, I just see UV units that illuminate for years but people don't realize that it degrades with the age of the bulb. You can put a 3 yr warranty on the unit and you an say it's still working at 2, 3, 4 yrs but I say the amount of ozone has fallen noticeably as time goes by. Anyway, let's move on.

I understood your point. I wasn't simply trying to say CD is preferred, I just see UV units that illuminate for years but people don't realize that it degrades with the age of the bulb. You can put a 3 yr warranty on the unit and you an say it's still working at 2, 3, 4 yrs but I say the amount of ozone has fallen noticeably as time goes by. Anyway, let's move on.

its fine we should move on. but it is hard to let go of something that is not to hard understand your point about it putting out less ozone after 1 year is simply not accurate, the CAUSE of the UV type putting out less ozone was due to the ballast and not the bulb to dismiss this because you choose not to look at how the two work differently is not a fair thing to do. Again I genuinely appreciate your opinion and find you to be very credible and fair. If this is a case where this type of unit is something that you are not as familiar with at this time fine, but there is a real difference in the two. As you have already said it is best we agree to disagree. I still think you are one of the best contributors to this board.

Considering either type, how hard is it to take out and install a new one? Can an owner do it or does it need to be done by a certified service person?

A small plastic tube that feeds the O3 into the tub and a plug on the control box. Easy Home owner type job. As long as the plug is the right kind and the generator is the right voltage, very simple. Even if the plug is not installed, or the unit is convertable (110-220) if you can follow directions it should be easy. There's a special tool for the small connectors in the different type of plugs but it's still easy to bypass this. Or the tool is an off the shelf item at an electrical supply house or your dealer. I usualy just take the plug off the old unit by cutting the wires and connector them to the new unit. I've only blow up a couple units :D It's about the same as putting a new battery in a car, unless you can't find the battery as happened to me with my wifes Bonny. Turns out it was under the back seat.

• 1 month later...

A small plastic tube that feeds the O3 into the tub and a plug on the control box. Easy Home owner type job. As long as the plug is the right kind and the generator is the right voltage, very simple. Even if the plug is not installed, or the unit is convertable (110-220) if you can follow directions it should be easy. There's a special tool for the small connectors in the different type of plugs but it's still easy to bypass this. Or the tool is an off the shelf item at an electrical supply house or your dealer. I usualy just take the plug off the old unit by cutting the wires and connector them to the new unit. I've only blow up a couple units :D It's about the same as putting a new battery in a car, unless you can't find the battery as happened to me with my wifes Bonny. Turns out it was under the back seat.

I dont recommend changing a spa into a 110