Need Help!

geotlyrae

Newbie here... Spa is working fine, but cannot bring PH up or Bromine to an ideal level. Filled up spa on Friday with well water. Used iron out first and PH up (2 oz). Also put 2 bromine tablets. Saturday's test showed around 6.8 on PH, and no color on bromine test. Added more pH up, and now also added Go Bromine to no avail. So far I used 14oz of PH up but still the same. Local pool place says that I added too much, and Am getting false test. What should I do?? Thanks for replies..

What's you Total Alkalinity, and aree you sure you had high iron before using "iron out"?

I've been told TA is the FIRST thing that should be checked and adjusted. After TA is in range, adjust pH.

After that, you need to add "Bromine Start", then non-chlorine shock.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess you have very low Total Alkalinity.

What's you Total Alkalinity, and aree you sure you had high iron before using "iron out"?

I've been told TA is the FIRST thing that should be checked and adjusted. After TA is in range, adjust pH.

After that, you need to add "Bromine Start", then non-chlorine shock.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess you have very low Total Alkalinity.

Just did 2 tests. Strip test showed zero alkalinity, while PH looked a little higher than 6.8. The drop test, showed no color (clear) on bromine, and around 6.8 on PH. The iron out was used on a recommendation from a pool place. (Not sure how much iron was there, but it was high in sulfur). The problem, is I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, and Am not sure if I should add any more chemicals at this time.

Just did 2 tests. Strip test showed zero alkalinity, while PH looked a little higher than 6.8. The drop test, showed no color (clear) on bromine, and around 6.8 on PH. The iron out was used on a recommendation from a pool place. (Not sure how much iron was there, but it was high in sulfur). The problem, is I'm leaving tomorrow for a week, and Am not sure if I should add any more chemicals at this time.

Put in 4 Ozs. of baking soda and sanitize and call me in the morning.

I use bromine myself and often end up with the same problem after a fill. Using bromine, you'll really have to keep an eye on your TA as it tends to drop often. After a fill, here's what i do to help get my levels where they should be:

First, i add "Peak Boost" (brand name) to establish a bromine reserve. A little while after this (1 hour), i add some chemicals to help protect from corrosion, this doesn't really have effect on pH or TA. Oh, my starting pH is neutral. I then do a non chlorine shock, wait one hour, and test my water. I usually have to add "Perfect Balance" (chemical i use to bring up my TA, it's really nothing more than baking soda, and in fact i often use baking soda as i find it works better than this stuff does, just using it since it came with the chemical package). About 1 tablespoon of baking soda brings my TA up 10ppm in a 350 gal tub. I then usually have to put a bromine tablet right in my filter basket as well to help establish bromine levels. After this, keeping everything stable is pretty easy. I add a little "Perfect Balance" (baking soda) once a week or so to keep my TA up, and shock once or twice a week depending on usage (twice if i'm using the tub regularly). My bromine floater is set at about 4, I put it up to 5 if i'm using it a lot or entertaining guests.