Baquaspa?

SmilinBare

How does that work exactly? what needs to be maintained?

Sanitizer, pH and calcium hardness levels. We check our tub water every other day at the minimum and make adjustments as needed. E Z!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been 15 days since I've had to add anything other than the once-a-week 7 ounces of Shock to the tub water. :)

I'm delighted to report that for the past three weeks, we've continued to test the tub water every other day and we've not had to make any "corrections" other than the once-each-week addition of 7 ounces of Shock.

I checked the filter strainer, today, and except for a small amount of sticky light brown residue in the filter basket (which rinsed out easily under the kitchen tap), I found no buildup.

The spa dealer said that we'd have to change the disposable microfiber filter element every two - three months. The tub has been up and running for 9 1/2 weeks and, since the filter element was saturated with a light brown color all the way through to the core, I opted to change it out today.

So, even though it IS a bit of an inconvenience to take a shower before entering the tub, I think it IS beneficial to "scrub one's cracks and crevices" beforehand.

I'm delighted to report that for the past three weeks, we've continued to test the tub water every other day and we've not had to make any "corrections" other than the once-each-week addition of 7 ounces of Shock.

I checked the filter strainer, today, and except for a small amount of sticky light brown residue in the filter basket (which rinsed out easily under the kitchen tap), I found no buildup.

The spa dealer said that we'd have to change the disposable microfiber filter element every two - three months. The tub has been up and running for 9 1/2 weeks and, since the filter element was saturated with a light brown color all the way through to the core, I opted to change it out today.

So, even though it IS a bit of an inconvenience to take a shower before entering the tub, I think it IS beneficial to "scrub one's cracks and crevices" beforehand.

yeah even if it is just rinsing off

• 5 weeks later...

In the week or so before I changed the tub water last weekend (the first water change since we got the tub at the end of December), I noticed that the old water was beginning to emit a sort of "used" or "stale" odor.

Draining and refilling the tub solved the problem.

In the week or so before I changed the tub water last weekend (the first water change since we got the tub at the end of December), I noticed that the old water was beginning to emit a sort of "used" or "stale" odor.

Draining and refilling the tub solved the problem.

Do you have a local dealer that tests your water for you? If so have them test for Total Disolved solids.

If the odor was a kind of musty odor that was probably a low sanitizer level and you probably had bacteria starting to grow.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. I'd read many times that having your water tested was a good idea, I've just always put it off. Your mention of *bacteria* was effective.

So. Should I take a sample of straight-from-the-spigot water or filtered water using the filter they gave me to put on the end of the hose? Or...were you saying that I should have had them test the stale water?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that. I'd read many times that having your water tested was a good idea, I've just always put it off. Your mention of *bacteria* was effective.

So. Should I take a sample of straight-from-the-spigot water or filtered water using the filter they gave me to put on the end of the hose? Or...were you saying that I should have had them test the stale water?

Have them test the water from the spa then they can give you an idea of what is out of balance and give you a better idea of where your falling behind.

Most of my customers bring in a water sample about once a month just to make sure that everything they are doing has them on the right track. Good Luck

There are actually three "true" sanitizers....chlorine, bromine and peroxide. Baqua is peroxide based.

Slight correction the three EPA recogonized sanitizers are chlorine, bromine and Baqua. Peroxide is the oxidizer that is used to 'burn up' the organics in the water but has no residual sanitizing action....same ideaas shocking with monopersulfate (both are oxygen based shocks). Similar to using ozone which also has no residual.The residual sanitizing comes from the Bacqua.. Biggest downside to bacqua is the price and the fact that it tends to goo up filters and ruin them quickly.

BTW, NEVER, EVER, EVER put chlorine in a bacqua spa or pool. It will turn into a green mess!

As for BaquaSpa being labelled "expensive"...as compared to what? Doesn't seem expensive to me ESPECIALLY given the benefits.

Didn't ruin my filter cartridge.

I AM discovering that not every pool/spa supply store carries the BaquaSpa line, however. Beats me why they don't, though. Oh well.

As for BaquaSpa being labelled "expensive"...as compared to what? Doesn't seem expensive to me ESPECIALLY given the benefits.

Didn't ruin my filter cartridge.

I AM discovering that not every pool/spa supply store carries the BaquaSpa line, however. Beats me why they don't, though. Oh well.

Expensive when compared to both bromine and chlorine with chlorine being the least expensive. A cartridge filter in a spa running biguinide will probably not last as long as one running either chlorine or bromine and as was noted earlier in this thread if you refill with water that has a free chlorine residual (as most city water does) it will react with the biguinide and form a goo that will collect in the filter and aound the tub. You might want to check out the conversion process for switching from biguinide to chlorine. It is usually done by keeping very high levels of chlorine in the water until the biguinide is eaten up. In the process the water changes to the color of pea soup and the filter medium needs to be replaced once the conversion is done becuase it is usualy ruined by the goo. All that said biguinide IS an effective sanitizer when used properlyl.

>>Expensive when compared to both bromine and chlorine with chlorine being the least expensive.<<

Using some quick calculations, I'm estimating cost of BaquaSpa and filter cartridge replacements to come in under $300.00 for a 12-month period. I don't consider that to be expensive.

>>A cartridge filter in a spa running biguinide will probably not last as long as one running either chlorine or bromine and as was noted earlier in this thread if you refill with water that has a free chlorine residual (as most city water does) it will react with the biguinide and form a goo that will collect in the filter and aound the tub.<<

At the 3-month period, the MicroPure cartridge was a light brown through to the core so, as per the dealer's instructions, I changed out the twenty-dollar filter cartridge.

>>You might want to check out the conversion process for switching from biguinide to chlorine.<<

Why? I don't want chlorine.

>>It is usually done by keeping very high levels of chlorine in the water until the biguinide is eaten up.<<

HIGH levels of chlorine, eh? So, now, the tub smells like the swimming pool at the local YMCA? Yecccch!!!

>>In the process the water changes to the color of pea soup and the filter medium needs to be replaced once the conversion is done becuase it is usualy ruined by the goo.<<

Sounds like fun!

>>All that said biguinide IS an effective sanitizer when used properly. <<

My point EXACTLY! One of the deciding factors in our selection of an Arctic spa was the cooperation of the dealer in helping us use BaquaSpa instead of the "other stuff". ALL the other dealers (Hot Spring, Dimension1, Jacuzzi) essentially insulted our intelligence when we explained that we WANTED to use BaquaSpa. Too bad! Their lack of sales professionalism cost them a $9K sale.

>>Expensive when compared to both bromine and chlorine with chlorine being the least expensive.<<

Using some quick calculations, I'm estimating cost of BaquaSpa and filter cartridge replacements to come in under $300.00 for a 12-month period. I don't consider that to be expensive.

I kept my portable hot tub for 6 years and never had to replace the cartridge. I ran chlorine and then bromine

>>A cartridge filter in a spa running biguinide will probably not last as long as one running either chlorine or bromine and as was noted earlier in this thread if you refill with water that has a free chlorine residual (as most city water does) it will react with the biguinide and form a goo that will collect in the filter and aound the tub.<<

At the 3-month period, the MicroPure cartridge was a light brown through to the core so, as per the dealer's instructions, I changed out the twenty-dollar filter cartridge.

>>You might want to check out the conversion process for switching from biguinide to chlorine.<<

Why? I don't want chlorine.

Just to give you some idea what the chlorine in your tap water will do!

>>It is usually done by keeping very high levels of chlorine in the water until the biguinide is eaten up.<<

HIGH levels of chlorine, eh? So, now, the tub smells like the swimming pool at the local YMCA? Yecccch!!!

That is the biggest misconception about chlornine. It is NOT high levels of free chlorine that give that "chlorine smell" and irritate your eyes and skin. It is the combined chlorine that form when the water is not cared for properly. I guess I should have stressed the point that in properly cared for spa chlorine will be the cheapest, etc.( it actually is the easiest to to and keep your water safe. Bromine is a bit tricky and biguinide can be very tricky.

>>In the process the water changes to the color of pea soup and the filter medium needs to be replaced once the conversion is done becuase it is usualy ruined by the goo.<<

Sounds like fun!

>>All that said biguinide IS an effective sanitizer when used properly. <<

My point EXACTLY! One of the deciding factors in our selection of an Arctic spa was the cooperation of the dealer in helping us use BaquaSpa instead of the "other stuff". ALL the other dealers (Hot Spring, Dimension1, Jacuzzi) essentially insulted our intelligence when we explained that we WANTED to use BaquaSpa. Too bad! Their lack of sales professionalism cost them a $9K sale.

Perhaps those dealers were trying to do you a favor and save you some money in the process. I bet the arctic spa dealer sells a biguinde based system and he is reaping in the profits. I actually do know a bit of what I am talking about since I work in a pool/spa supply store besides being a pool/spa owner.

Well, I remain satisfied with BaquaSpa. Another of the criteria for our selecting BaquaSpa is that there's less of a chance of it killing our perennials, trees, lawn, etcetera when we empty the tub out every three months.

As for changing the twenty dollar MicroPure filter cartridge every three months, my only regret about that is adding to the waste stream. In reading up about reusable filters, the cleanser that is recommended that you soak it in for twenty-four hours doesn't sound like very nice stuff. Rubber gloves???

Anyway, I'm sticking with BaquaSpa and appreciate everyone's input.

Well, I remain satisfied with BaquaSpa. Another of the criteria for our selecting BaquaSpa is that there's less of a chance of it killing our perennials, trees, lawn, etcetera when we empty the tub out every three months.

As for changing the twenty dollar MicroPure filter cartridge every three months, my only regret about that is adding to the waste stream. In reading up about reusable filters, the cleanser that is recommended that you soak it in for twenty-four hours doesn't sound like very nice stuff. Rubber gloves???

Anyway, I'm sticking with BaquaSpa and appreciate everyone's input.

Just thought you might like to know that if you were not using biguinide you would not need that filter cleaner and could just hose off the cartridge once a month. IF you need heavy cleaning becuse of neglect THEN you might need to soak the cartrigde.....TSP and muriatic acid is basically all that the cleaner is and that is what many pool service companies use to clean them.

Just thought you might like to know that if you were not using biguinide you would not need that filter cleaner and could just hose off the cartridge once a month. IF you need heavy cleaning becuse of neglect THEN you might need to soak the cartrigde.....TSP and muriatic acid is basically all that the cleaner is and that is what many pool service companies use to clean them.

On a spa you do need to soak the filter in a cleaner solution even if you are not using a biguanide. In a hot tub body oils will come to the surface and as they get skimmed off that will plug the filter. If you soak the filter regularly and take good care of it a filter can last 3 years on a single filter system.

Do not mix muratic acid and TSP. I would recommend using a filter cleaner that is specified for cleaning pool filters.

On a spa you do need to soak the filter in a cleaner solution even if you are not using a biguanide. In a hot tub body oils will come to the surface and as they get skimmed off that will plug the filter. If you soak the filter regularly and take good care of it a filter can last 3 years on a single filter system.

Do not mix muratic acid and TSP. I would recommend using a filter cleaner that is specified for cleaning pool filters.

I have a lot of experience with cartridge filters, having used them in a portable spa for 6 years, a pool/spa combo for 2, and in large aqauriums for close to 30 years. If you think a spa filter gets cruded up you should see an aquarim cartridge! I stand by what I say. the " recipe" for filter cleaning with tsp and muriatic acid (which I learned from a pool service guy in Ft. Lauderdale) is as follows: 1 cup TSP and 1 cup muriatic acid per 5 gallons of water in a large plastic garbage can big enough to hold the cartridge. Soak for about an hour and then hose off WELL with fresh water.

Interestingly enough, I have seen the identical 'recipe in "The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual" by Terry Temminen (publisher McGraw-Hill) which is a very large reference book on all aspects of pools, spas, and other water features.

By the way, the cartridge on my portable lasted almost 6 years (year round use) and I never had to soak it! I can't say the same for the aquarium cartridges.

I have a lot of experience with cartridge filters, having used them in a portable spa for 6 years, a pool/spa combo for 2, and in large aqauriums for close to 30 years. If you think a spa filter gets cruded up you should see an aquarim cartridge! I stand by what I say. the " recipe" for filter cleaning with tsp and muriatic acid (which I learned from a pool service guy in Ft. Lauderdale) is as follows: 1 cup TSP and 1 cup muriatic acid per 5 gallons of water in a large plastic garbage can big enough to hold the cartridge. Soak for about an hour and then hose off WELL with fresh water.

Interestingly enough, I have seen the identical 'recipe in "The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual" by Terry Temminen (publisher McGraw-Hill) which is a very large reference book on all aspects of pools, spas, and other water features.

By the way, the cartridge on my portable lasted almost 6 years (year round use) and I never had to soak it! I can't say the same for the aquarium cartridges.

We are not talking about aquariums were talking about a hot tub were people are getting into hot water and putting out about one pint of persperation for each half hour that they are sitting in the spa. I stand by what i said. DONT EVER MIX ANY CHEMICALS TOGETHER IN A CONTAINER.

That reminds me of the apartment maintainance guy that told me about his recipe for destroying odors in old apartments. Take a metal bucket and put 1/2 cup muratic acid and 1/2 cup of cal hypo and leave the room for 24 hours and when you get back no stale cigarette smell or anything.

And just because that worked for you let me remind you of a few things.

#1 Not everybody is the same some people have a lot of body oils. I've seen cartridges plugged with body oils in as little as a week. If these people followed your directions their filters would be destroyed in months not years.

#2 Water pressure will not remove body oils.

#3 All filter manufacturers recommend that you soak your filter or spray it down with filter cleaner regularly.

We are not talking about aquariums were talking about a hot tub were people are getting into hot water and putting out about one pint of persperation for each half hour that they are sitting in the spa. I stand by what i said. DONT EVER MIX ANY CHEMICALS TOGETHER IN A CONTAINER.

That reminds me of the apartment maintainance guy that told me about his recipe for destroying odors in old apartments. Take a metal bucket and put 1/2 cup muratic acid and 1/2 cup of cal hypo and leave the room for 24 hours and when you get back no stale cigarette smell or anything.

And just because that worked for you let me remind you of a few things.

#1 Not everybody is the same some people have a lot of body oils. I've seen cartridges plugged with body oils in as little as a week. If these people followed your directions their filters would be destroyed in months not years.

The bioload deposited on a filter in an aquarium is MUCH higher than one deposited in a spa or pool. There is also no supplimental oxidizer added to help burn them up as in a spa.

#2 Water pressure will not remove body oils.

no but soaking in chlorine can (won't work with biguinide though) and I know that is what Hurlcon in Australia recommends on theirs. TSP can also. One of it's main uses is a degreaser.

#3 All filter manufacturers recommend that you soak your filter or spray it down with filter cleaner regularly.

And many of the OEM replacement filter manufacterers also recommend TSP as an alternative soak.

One thing you are leaving out when you compare an aquarium to a spa is on an aquarium you are trying to maintain some types of bacteria in an aquarium and in a spa you are trying to keep the spa as free of bacteria as possible.

But again I would say that is comparing apples and oranges.

My point on the water pressure was to point out that regular soaking of a filter is recommended to keep the filter clean and chlorine is not recommended as a degreaser but your right TSP is a degreaser and does a good job.

I realize the OEM recommend TSP as a alternative degreaser but you wont find ANY that recommend TSP being mixed with Muratic acid.

In fact you never should soak a filter that has body oils on it in a muratic acid solution as the acid will set the oils into the material. You should always degrease your filter first and then if neccesary then you can soak it in a acid solution to remove any scale buildup.

• 4 months later...

We've continued using our tub all summer holding fast to our practice of showering before entering the tub and we haven't had any problems. I "just" drained the tub, today, and the micropure filter cartridge looks almost as clean as when I changed it out on June 1st. Nevertheless, I changed it, again, today.

I still don't get what the gripe is about BaquaSpa. Works for us!

• 1 month later...

:D

Whoopee! Colder weather is comin' which makes for better hot tubbin'! Still diggin' BaquaSpa, too. Minimal maintenance required! I HIGHLY recommend it. :D

:D

Whoopee! Colder weather is comin' which makes for better hot tubbin'! Still diggin' BaquaSpa, too. Minimal maintenance required! I HIGHLY recommend it. :D

You MUST be a Baqua salesperson or something. Why do you keep coming on to tout how wonderful Baqua is? I'm fairly certain you're not going to change anyone's mind... :)

You MUST be a Baqua salesperson or something. Why do you keep coming on to tout how wonderful Baqua is? I'm fairly certain you're not going to change anyone's mind... :)

:lol: No. I don't sell the stuff. It's just that we were told by SO many spa salespeople that BaquaSpa isn't very good and, in practice, we've found it to be marvelous. I'm just trying to do my part to periodically post about our POSITIVE experience with BaquaSpa so that when confused newby spa shoppers find this web site they can read that there are varying opinions on every product line.

So what do YOU sell? ;)